[Tournament] Codex Asynchronous Winter Swiss 2022 (CAWS22)

Welcome to our [CAWS22] tournament! Now taking signups!

This is a Swiss tournament, with one match per week, plus a grace period if your match overruns.
I’m planning to post the first round on 21th of December somewhen around 19:00 UTC, but with Christmas and stuff, there will be a very long grace period for the first two weeks of the tournament. If a player does not want to start the match until 2nd of January, I would be perfectly fine with that, but please give a notice for your opponent. 2nd of January somewhen around 19:00 UTC.

As per tradition, this will be a standard tournament, but the previously agreed upon rule changes will behold.

Nerfs
Vandy Remove resist 1 at midband
Garth Reduce midband stats to 2/3
MoLaC If you have no units in play, remove all runes from this
Lich’s Bargain Base damage increased from 4 to 6
Pirate Gunship Remove obliterate 2
Deteriorate Increase cost to 1
Dark Pact Increase cost to 1
Bird’s Nest Change Upkeep to “Resummon one lost bird (max: 2)”
Battle Suits Change to apply to "Purple Soldiers and Mystics
Buffs
Troq Swap midband and maxband
Mid at 4 and max at 7
Let maxband target any building
The Boot Modify text to “Destroy a tech 0 unit, a tech 1 unit, or an upgrade”, change card type from “Spell - Debuff” to “Spell”

General rules

• Late signups will be accepted without penalty until the second set of pairings are made. Signups after that may occur, but will be given one loss for each full round / “tournament week” that has elapsed. Please submit your entry to the tourney, via PM to me or reply in this thread, in order to sign up!
  • I am in desperate need for at least one judge! @FrozenStorm ? @zhavier ? @charnel_mouse ? Could you be so kind?
  • New pairings will be posted roughly every Monday. Matches that are not progressing may be given an adjudicated result. The “tournament week” is considered to be from one round of pairings posted to the next (so possibly more or less than an actual calendar week, depending on how prompt I am with the Monday postings / others are at finishing games).
  • Matches are 1 game.
  • The first player is responsible for creating the match thread.
  • Tag @zango when a winner has been determined.
  • CAS tournaments use a “three strikes” rule - any player who has three losses will be automatically dropped from the tournament. Players may also drop out at any time.
  • There is no “top cut”: the last player standing wins the event. Thanks to the “three strikes” rule, the field should narrow towards the end, and culminate in some exciting final few matches.
  • The default is to play all matches as play-by-post within the forum. A match may be played in an alternate format – in person, on an alternate platform, via snail-mail, whatever – by mutual agreement, until the field is reduced to four or fewer players.
  • If any rulings are necessary, any single judge who is not participating in that match may make a ruling.
  • Rulings are subject to appeal only if the judge making the ruling is wrong about the facts of the game (e.g., forgetting that a Building Inspector is in play, or that the Shrine of Forbidden Knowledge only makes Demons unstoppable by units), or the rules/FAQ as noted in the rulebook and/or the Rulings thread.
  • Please note the forum-suggested post generation spreadsheet, or one of the other format suggestions (like this or this) such that it includes hand, tech and worker decisions, either in a details + spoiler combo,
like this,

Here’s my hidden stuff!

• or in a linked source that a judge (preferrably not involved in the game) can get to. This helps with judgements, adjudication, as well as spectators.
  • As with all PbF games, the honour system is in place: don’t peek at your opponent’s spoilers, just as you wouldn’t grab cards out of your opponent’s hand / deck / discard / worker pile and look at them in a real-life tournament!

Other details

Details for Swiss pairings

The idea behind swiss pairing is that each round players should play against each other that have a similar number of losses. The actual paring will be done within the tracker spreadsheet linked below that will include the algorithm for an automatic pairing creation as described here
The basic idea behind the algorithm is: compute for all possible pairings the so called penalty score and choose one of the pairings that has a minimal penalty score. For computing the penalty all unfavorable events within a pairing are identified and taken into account (for example a player with 0 losses plays against a player with 2 losses, or the pairings include a direct rematch). The more unfavorable events are within the respective pairings, the higher the penalty score will be. See the link above for a description of all unfavorable events.

I reserve the option to hand-craft pairings and/or the bye if necessary, in case the algorithm does not provide favorable pairing. This manual manipulation will not result in someone getting a second bye, unless all players have had a bye.

Players that have not completed their previous matches will be handled as follows:

I will assign a rational number for their game, typically it will be 0.5 : 0.5. The algorithm then takes care of the rest. After the match is completed, the correct result will be used for the further rounds.

Details for unfinished match adjudication
  1. Matches where Player 1 has posted their 5th turn within a week will not be adjudicated until 3 days after (10 days after pairings, Thursday by default).
  2. Matches where Player 1 has posted their 10th turn 11 days after pairings (Friday by default) will not be adjudicated until two weeks after pairings (Monday by default).
  3. Matches subject to adjudication may have a win declared, by opinion of the judges, for
    a) the player that is “going to win” (having clear hand / tech spoilers is helpful for determining this);
    b) the player that is less responsible for delaying the game;
    c) for no one, if prior arrangements were made, or the match result isn’t critical for making the next round of pairings, or if a “catch up” week is coming up.
  4. Generally, I will be pretty generous about allowing for extra time, provided I’m given notice of absence. If you ‘re ghosting the tourney with no notice, however, don’t be surprised if you’re given forfeit losses!
Details for correcting game errors

In the event of a game error, one of three fixes will be implemented:

1. If a unit, hero, or building took the wrong amount of damage, and changing it to the correct amount does not cause anything to leave play or not leave play, then the damage will be corrected.
  2. If not enough gold was spent, and the excess was floated, the gold total will be corrected. If too much gold was spent, the excess will be refunded. The possibility of theft (red starter, Anarchy, or Law) does not impact this, as both players are responsible for maintaining the game state. An actually executed theft (or failure to steal after taking the appropriate action) forecloses this remedy.
  3. The game will be backed up to the turn of the error. In this case, having the decisions / game state noted is important for re-constructing things. Any random events that are undone (e.g. drawing cards) must be re-randomized, regardless of the size or type of error. Normally the entire turn containing the error will be backed up and re-done, but if knowledge has been gained, or cards drawn, and the error occurred after the new information was gained, the judge must only back up to the point where new information was revealed.
  4. If neither of the above apply, or if I think a backup cannot be performed, the game will be left as-is. (For example, an error occurs on Turn 2, and it is now Turn 4, both players have made decisions, reshuffled, etc. based on the incorrect game state).

Regardless of remedy, players should feel free to use any information disclosed by their opponent’s error in making gameplay choices: for example, an opponent’s tech choice revealed via a card illegally played and then returned to hand.

In the case of repeated errors, or errors where the game state cannot be recovered, a game loss may be given if the error was substantial.

List of players participating:

(I myself will not be able to participate this time)

1. @FrozenStorm deck submitted :white_check_mark:
  2. @Moby_Dick deck submitted :white_check_mark:
  3. @Bryce_The_Rice deck tbd
  4. @Dreamfire [Present]/Demonology/Discipline :white_check_mark:
  5. @dwarddd mono purple :white_check_mark:
  6. @thehug0naut deck tbd
  7. @flagrantangles deck tbd
  8. @charnel_mouse [Disease]/Discipline/Law :white_check_mark:

Authorised judges

1. @charnel_mouse
  2. @FrozenStorm

Read only link to the penalty algorithm spreadsheet for this tournament will follow here

1 Like

I’m fine being a judge, even if I am a bit in-and-out.
I was planning on taking a break for a season, but I’ll see how things are by January :slight_smile:

1 Like

I should be able to judge and play, deck choice tbd

1 Like

I am in.

I think we should do something about burning Legion. Last tourney no game was lost. Not that I am planning to take it… But I have no idea what. Bann it completely until we have a better plan? Nerf garrison ( I know that I was always against it, but i have no better idea)?

1 Like

Post 1 of 2 as I’m only allowed to tag a maximum of 10 users per post
Tagging some folks from the last few tournaments:
@bansa @Bryce_The_Rice @CarpeGuitarrem @Dreamfire @dwarddd @flagrantangles @Nekoatl
Interested in joining the next tournament?

1 Like

Post 2 of 2 as I’m only allowed to tag a maximum of 10 users per post
Tagging some folks from the last few tournaments:
@OffKilter @Penatronic @Shadow_Night_Black @Whitspurr @zhavier
Interested in joining the next tournament?

PS: please let me know if you prefer the tournament to start at the beginning of 2023 instead of solistice (plus long grace period for the latter)

1 Like

My man, the post has been up less than a day. I haven’t even turned on my computer since you posted it. Give me some time to sign up!

Yeah I’ll play. Codex choice tbd.

Since this is a standard tourny, I don’t think we should ban any codices. Maybe I’ll even take Burning Legion just to see how it does in the hands of someone who isn’t great with Peace.

1 Like

I’ll join, mono purple please

1 Like

Please remember to submit your Codex choices.

With regards to the low participation rate: how do you feel about postponing the start to the 2nd of January?

Probably january would be better to find 1 or 2 more player. For me it would fit better as well.

1 Like

That was a sign-up post, obviously. I’m never not going to sign up. Just wait some time before sending out pings.

1 Like

@zango appreciate that you are organizing a winter tournament!

1 Like

I don’t want to delay the tournament. If the rest wants to start now ok for me as well. I would just start my game a bit later because I will have 3-4 busy days now. I will catch up.

The low participation rate, not having received too many Codex choices, charnel hesitating and Moby’s post seem all to make a point that currently most of us have other things on our minds. Let’s postpone the start until 2nd of January.
Maybe we’re lucky to welcome a few more participants

I wish all of you good Holidays and please remember to submit your Codex choices in time.

3 Likes

I have returned and I would like to play some forum Codex! Count me in, codex tbd

6 Likes

Sure, I’ll join the tournament. I haven’t played in so long.

3 Likes

Happy new year everyone!

@Bryce_The_Rice @Dreamfire @thehug0naut @flagrantangles
Please remember to submit your deck choices

@charnel_mouse how is early January looking in terms of possibly joining?

I’ll play [Present]/Demonology/Discipline.

2 Likes

@Bryce_The_Rice @thehug0naut @flagrantangles
friendly reminder to please submit your deck choices