[Tournament] Codex Asynchronous Winter Swiss 2022 (CAWS22)

Guys? I need some more than 4 out of 7 deck choices for a proper start of the tournament…

I’ll take [Disease]/Discipline/Law for another spin.

2 Likes

Oh man is that today? Damn
uhhhh
I dunno, mono red or something

Hi all,
one day behind schedule but still in time here comes the first round. Please take care to rename the threads accordingly once the deck choices are logged in. I myself will spend the next 4 days in the Alps and am not sure whether I’ll have access to the internet or not…
Enjoy your games!

1. CAWS22 Round1: P1 Dreamfire [Present]/Demonology/Discipline :knockdown: vs :medal_sports: P2 FrozenStorm Burning Legion [Fire]/Demonology/Peace
  2. CAWS22 Round1: P1 Moby_Dick Burning Legion [Fire]/Demonology/Peace :medal_sports: vs :knockdown: P2 charnel_mouse [Disease]/Discipline/Law
  3. CAWS22 Round1: P1 dwarddd mono purple :medal_sports: vs :knockdown: P2 Bryce_The_Rice mono red
  4. CAWS22 Round1: P1 thehug0naut [Balance]/Blood/Demonology :knockdown: vs :medal_sports: P2 flagrantangles mono-Blue
2 Likes

The new year came round quick! I’ll give [Balance]/Blood/Demonology a try

After Dreamfires comment, I did some simulation an playtesting with Zango around Burning Legion. The deck, from which I thought that it is currently the best one, had no chance as P2 against Burning Legion. Only bad draws from Burning Legion would allow an P2 win. (Maybe a purple based deck is better with P2, but would not work effecient enought as P1). Similar with other very strong decks. You can beat Burning Legion as P1 with an acceptable rate (although Burning legion is a very good P2 deck), but you need a lot of luck as P2. So I could not find any deck that comes close to a 50% win rate against burning legion. I doubt that even the old Nightmare would do any better. So I cannot control the demon I created. Maybe some better players find a solution…

So I am still for a ban in the next tournaments or even in this one. If one BL is in you can only beat fire with fire.

I apologize, but I’ll stick with my usual of just mono-Blue.

2 Likes

Banning a single deck would be far too heavy-handed for my liking, especially in a non-experimental tournament. I don’t think we’ve ever banned anything in non-experimental, let alone after a single tournament appearance.

1 Like

Ok. I just wanted to share my simulation results, that anyone has these information before the tournament.

My preference as well would be not to ban the single deck but instead refine the rework list to better squash the dominant deck or buff potential rivals. But let’s cross that bridge when we get to it :slight_smile:

1 Like

You already put your foot on that bridge, let’s see how fast you can run on it… :wink:

How we doin on the next round here fam?

I’m being slow, stressful few turns.

1 Like

well, that escalated quickly :sweat_smile:

we’re up for round 2:

1. CAWS22 Round2: P1 FrozenStorm Burning Legion [Fire]/Demonology/Peace :medal_sports: vs :knockdown: P2 dwarddd mono purple
  2. CAWS22 Round2: P1 flagrantangles mono blue :knockdown: vs :medal_sports: P2 Moby_Dick Burning Legion [Fire]/Demonology/Peace
  3. CAWS22 Round2: P1 Bryce_The_Rice mono red :knockdown: vs :medal_sports: P2 Dreamfire [Present]/Demonology/Discipline
  4. CAWS22 Round2: P1 charnel_mouse [Disease]/Discipline/Law :medal_sports: vs :knockdown: P2 thehug0naut [Balance]/Blood/Demonology
2 Likes

Here comes round 3, it will cover the first blood on burning legion, due to the mirror, so we’ll have to wait further for it to lose a “normal” game.

Enjoy your games!

1. CAWS22 Round3: P1 Moby_Dick Burning Legion [Fire]/Demonology/Peace :medal_sports: vs :knockdown: P2 FrozenStorm Burning Legion [Fire]/Demonology/Peace
  2. CAWS22 Round3: P1 Dreamfire [Present]/Demonology/Discipline :medal_sports: vs :knockdown: P2 dwarddd mono purple
  3. CAWS22 Round3: P1 flagrantangles mono blue :knockdown: vs :medal_sports: P2 charnel_mouse [Disease]/Discipline/Law
  4. CAWS22 Round3: P1 Bryce_The_Rice mono red :knockdown: :skull_and_crossbones: vs :medal_sports: P2 thehug0naut [Balance]/Blood/Demonology

@thehug0naut and @Bryce_The_Rice are on elimination

5 Likes

Farewell to @Bryce_The_Rice .

It’s impressive to see the power level of the mirror match. I’m crossing my fingers for @Dreamfire & @charnel_mouse to bring the first non-mirror-loss to Burning Legion!

Round 4

1. CAWS22 Round4: P1 Dreamfire [Present]/Demonology/Discipline :knockdown: vs :medal_sports: P2 Moby_Dick Burning Legion [Fire]/Demonology/Peace
  2. CAWS22 Round4: P1 charnel_mouse [Disease]/Discipline/Law :knockdown: vs :medal_sports: P2 FrozenStorm Burning Legion [Fire]/Demonology/Peace
  3. CAWS22 Round4: P1 dwarddd mono purple :medal_sports: vs :knockdown: :skull_and_crossbones: P2 flagrantangles mono blue

@thehug0naut gets the bye.

@dwarddd @flagrantangles and @thehug0naut are on elimination

I want a good clean fight, let’s get it on!

3 Likes

And here we are again, goodbye to @flagrantangles . @Moby_Dick still is undefeated with @FrozenStorm having one loss, everybode else is on elimination.

Round 5

1. CAWS22 Round5: P1 FrozenStorm Burning Legion [Fire]/Demonology/Peace :knockdown: vs :medal_sports: P2 Moby_Dick Burning Legion [Fire]/Demonology/Peace
  2. CAWS22 Round5: P1 thehug0naut [Balance]/Blood/Demonology :knockdown: :skull_and_crossbones: vs :medal_sports: P2 Dreamfire [Present]/Demonology/Discipline
  3. CAWS22 Round5: P1 charnel_mouse [Disease]/Discipline/Law :knockdown: :skull_and_crossbones: vs :medal_sports: P2 dwarddd mono purple
2 Likes

We say goodbye to @thehug0naut and @charnel_mouse we’re down to four players left with everyone but @Moby_Dick being on elimination.

Round 6 reads:

1. CAWS22 Round6: P1 Moby_Dick Burning Legion [Fire]/Demonology/Peace vs P2 dwarddd mono purple
  2. CAWS22 Round6: P1 FrozenStorm Burning Legion [Fire]/Demonology/Peace :knockdown: :skull_and_crossbones: vs :medal_sports: P2 Dreamfire [Present]/Demonology/Discipline

I’d like to add some respect for @thehug0naut and @Dreamfire for taking their time to stay active in this community while being in such a crucial phase!

5 Likes

@zango out of pure interest (and to check i understand the pairing algorithm correctly) the list of pairings which are identical to these ones, but with P1 and P2 switched with me and Moby_Dick, would get the same penalty score? So it was chosen randomly between the two (and any others with the same score)?

Idm, only reason i even thought about it was the double take i did before realising it was FrozenStorm I’d played against Burning Legion with last time, lol!

Hi dwarddd, I’m more than happy to elaborate on the penalty algorithm. Yes, both pairings got the same score. Both of you had played two times as P1 and three times as P2, so either way one of you would activate the “unbalanced P1/P2 penalty” but the algorithm doesn’t care whether it’s you or moby who activates it. The match frozen vs dreamfire is set from the algorithm on the other hand, as it’s a rematch and it is more or less decided fromt the first match between the two who will get to be P1/P2.
For more details and explanations see (I’ve also included some debugging routines that list for any specific match what exact penalties are activated by it - let me know if you want some further explanations on it, but I suggest we should move this then to a different thread or a PM)

edit: and obviously yes, if two or more pairings receive the same score, a random number assigned to each pairing decides which pairing is chosen