I took my Core Set to my local library’s weekly card club the last couple weeks, and while the people I’ve convinced to try it have generally liked it, I’m starting to notice my own lack of knowledge now. Since I’d rather not have my entire Codex scene (such as it is) be an example of “the blind leading the blind,” I thought I’d ask some questions I’ve had about Red vs Green specifically, since I’d rather we focus on learning as much as possible with a single matchup until the official expansion boxes get released. I figure that having more colors to choose from will just make people think they can fix things by playing a different color, rather than correcting flaws in their play.
(To clarify, I know there’s a number of topics already covering beginner strategy, but I really need to focus on Red vs Green for now, and I’ve found surprisingly little about it as opposed to either general strategy for all colors or specific strategy for a different color.)
- In general, what strategies should each side try in the first couple of turns?
- How much does going first or second affect this?
- What specific considerations are there for Red vs Green, as opposed to other matchups?
- I’ve noticed that as Green I like to play Ironbark Treant ASAP, whereas with Red I’m a bit less consistent but I generally like Bloodrage Ogre. What other things should I consider?
- As Green I’ve only played Rich Earth once, and that was using the “Argagarg’s Riches Opening” (so I also had Merfolk Prospector), whereas I’ve never used Verdant Tree. Should I be using either one more?
- As Red, I’ve often played Bloodburn, but I don’t know if it was always worth it. When can I “get away” with it, and should I focus on a particular strategy if I do? (Probably Blood, right?)
- What “build orders” should I use to teach the game? In other words, what “general strategies” does each side have? I need some kind of standard game-plan before I can be clever by throwing a wrench in things.
- Based on what I’ve read, Green likes using either Centaur or Murkwood Allies second cycle. Why would I choose one of them over the other, and which option do I choose if I use Murkwood Allies? For that matter, what are good cards to tech alongside them?
- What even is my game plan for Tech I as Red? It’s perhaps telling that I don’t have a good strategy with Red, but I still win with it more often… It feels like Red is more forgiving for beginners, since there’s more Haste and such.
- What is my reason for picking a specific spec for Tech II?
- In general, you pick your spec either because you’re going for a specific strategy or to counter your opponent’s strategy, right? What’s the main strategy for each spec, and what common strategies can each spec counter?
- Right now, I’m particularly lost on why Green would use Feral Tech II and Red would use Anarchy Tech II, but I’d appreciate thoughts on all of them.
- Which Add-ons are worth using in this matchup, and when would I generally want to build them?
- To quickly get people playing, I had two beginners face each other for the first game I taught, and both built a Tech Lab. Should I even allow beginners to have Tech Labs and Heroes’ Halls, or would it be better to make them play with “normal” strategies at first?
- I’m pretty sure Green needs a Tower in this matchup, but fitting it in seems hard sometimes… Red would probably like a Surplus, but it’s expensive enough that I don’t see it working out for beginners anyway.
- What are the best threads that already exist for beginners? Some are obvious, like the Rules Questions thread, but I’d like to be able to collect as many links as possible together (I know about the Collected Codex Resources thread, but right now things seem to be happening too fast for it to keep up).
I’ve looked around the forum a bit (actually, I’ve been obsessively reading as much as I can over the past couple months), but I still don’t really know what I’m doing with anything but my print-and-play Starter Set, which I’ve lent to someone else for now. I’m sure there’s more that I’m forgetting, but if any of you can help with even a single question, I’d really appreciate it. Thanks!