[Yomi Tournament] 19XX: Waifu 2 - BD_Corro is CHAMPION!

Hey everyone!

After some prompting, I’m dusting off the TO jacket and seeing if we’ve got enough interest for another Yomi tournament. Indicate in the thread whether you’re interested in participating. If you’re interested in acting as co-TO, let me know - I’ll pick someone from among the volunteers before the event begins.

The tournament won’t start until Topanda wraps up, assuming Fivec is going to cut to finals in the next little while. For now, assume an early February start to the event.

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. But it wasn't always this way...

[insert picture of a caped and helmeted hero standing on a tall building, surveying a cyberpunk mega-city here]

‘19XX: Waifu 2’ is a double-elimination event with a short list of banned characters.

http://challonge.com/it/19xx_waifu2

Tournament format and rules​

• Banned characters: :degrey::geiger::troq::zane:
  • Character select: First game of a set is double-blind, thereafter the loser of each game may switch
  • Format: Double-elimination
  • Timer: Medium
  • Set Length: First to Four
  • Scheduling: You will have one week to schedule and complete each match, deadline is when I get home from work on Monday, put my head in my hands, and realise I have a bunch of new conversations to send out
  • I will discuss who loses in a situation where a match fails to occur with my co-TOs
  • Double KOs: No wins or losses awarded - replay the same match-up
  • Server Crash: No wins or losses awarded - replay the same match-up
  • Reporting: Either the victor or the vanquished (or both) should post results in this thread.
  • Sportsmanship: Be nice!
  • Prize: A prize of cash value not to exceed 20 Canadian funbucks will go to the tournament winner (like an indie game on Steam, or some print-and-play game from the Sirlin store, or something)
  • If I win, I will release a YouTube video of myself enjoying a delicious ice cream sandwich and fanning myself with a $20. Even if it’s cold as fuck.
  • Additional prize - the winner will get to choose the word that replaces ‘Waifu’ in the tournament name for the next event.

Scheduling Tip 1: WorldTimeBuddy.com is an excellent resource for scheduling matches across timezones.

Scheduling Tip 2: If you are posting to the scheduling conversation first, provide a list of dates and times when you are available to play. If you are posting to the scheduling conversation second, pick a specific start time and date for your match from those provided by your opponent. If none work for you, propose specific alternatives.

Participants List

Summary
  1. mysticjuicer
  2. flagrantangles
  3. Jude
  4. UTRALAW
  5. MysticDeadman
  6. Shax
  7. Legion
  8. MVashM
  9. Castanietzsche
  10. Zejety
  11. Jonny D
  12. Zqxx
  13. Phrawger
  14. Bob199
  15. migohunter
  16. FaceOnMars
  17. Ralphile
  18. CKR
  19. lettucemode
  20. CloudCuckooCountry
  21. Corroyeur
  22. Leontes
  23. FourLiberties
  24. wowarlock
  25. Attilian
  26. Chase
  27. thehug0naut
  28. PingWarrior
  29. Southpaw Hare
  30. BD_Corro
  31. copper8642
  32. neigutten

##Alternates

1. Bomber
  2. Juushichi

##Previous Champions

19XX: Rebel 1 - Fivec

11 Likes

I’m definitely interested in participating. Count me in, darling!

1 Like

I’m in, and my post has to be at least ten characters.

1 Like

3 Likes

no no nO NO!
Goddammit!
You can’t do that!
You can’t post hype MegaMan memes without letting me know first!
Dammit!

Oh, I’m in by the way. I’m just super mad that Utralaw posted hype MegaMan and I didn’t.

4 Likes

consider my body prepared

2 Likes

hmmmmm.
I resent that even being the one pushing for this i do not even get an honarable mention.

I’m in, anyway.

4 Likes

I want in :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi ! I’m in :smile_cat:

2 Likes

I’m in.
:bbb::gwen:

1 Like

Raises hand

I’ll just clarify the co-TO role, since it worked well in the last 19XX event and people might hesitate to volunteer without knowing the time commitment/expectations involved.

I’ll be enforcing all event rules and making all final calls associated with the event. I don’t even bother adding co-TOs to the scheduling conversations, as it ended up not adding much value last time, and generally just meant that two more people got bombarded with notifications during the tournament.

I relied on co-TOs to give me their opinions on situations where matches didn’t occur and who they thought should receive the win and the loss. Once I got their feedback I informed the participants privately, and then announced the ruling in the thread. Overall I think maybe the role will take an hour or two in total, over the course of about two months.

4 Likes

I’m wINning

4 Likes

I suggested “Year One”, since the first event would be Year Zero

I’m always ready to spaghetti!

Perhaps this time, without a self-imposed mono-:quince: challenge, I might actually win a set or two :stuck_out_tongue: .

3 Likes

oh cool okay yeah i’ll play, I can co-TO again as well (can absolutely confirm MJ does all the hard work)

2 Likes

In, can co-TO. 19XX is fun for this one.

3 Likes

Oh ye of little faith. How dare you betray our lord and savior, Flagstone’s chief magistrate, SOIREE QUONCE.

4 Likes

Let’s face it. It’s easy to lose faith in a magistrate that’s facing federal fraud charges over a “University” he started years ago.

5 Likes

As long as not being available from Jan 29th - Feb 4th isn’t a problem, in

3 Likes