[Tournament] 19XX Titan 5

It’s back! @mysticjuicer has agreed to let me revive 19XX, and by popular acclaim, it’ll be our December tournament. That means you have until November 30 to get in on the action, and the tournament will start promptly on December 1st!

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. But it wasn’t always this way…

[insert picture of a caped and helmeted hero standing on a tall building, surveying a cyberpunk mega-city here]

‘19XX: Titan 5’ is a double-elimination event with a short list of banned characters. The purpose is to get people to play characters (and match-ups) that they might ordinarily not, and to give some of the lower tier characters a chance to shine.

Tournament format and rules

• Banned characters: :degrey::geiger::troq::zane:
  • Character select: First game of a set is double-blind, thereafter the loser of each game may switch while the winner must remain the same character
  • Format: Double-elimination
  • Timer: Medium
  • Set Length: First to four wins
  • Scheduling: You will have one week to schedule and complete each match, deadline is Monday evening Eastern time. I will discuss who loses in a situation where a match fails to occur with my co-TOs.
  • Double KOs: No wins or losses awarded - replay the same match-up
  • Server Crash: No wins or losses awarded - replay the same match-up
  • Reporting: Either the victor or the vanquished (or both) should post results in this thread.
  • Sportsmanship: Be nice!
  • Prize: A prize of cash value not to exceed 20 Canadian funbucks will go to the tournament winner, courtesy of @mysticjuicer (like an indie game on Steam, or some print-and-play game from the Sirlin store, or something)
    • If @mysticjuicer wins, he will release a YouTube video of himself enjoying a delicious ice cream sandwich and fanning himself with a $20. Even if it’s cold as fuck.
    • Additional prize - the winner will get to choose the word that replaces ‘Round’ in the tournament name for the next event.

Scheduling Tip 1 : WorldTimeBuddy.com is an excellent resource for scheduling matches across timezones.

Scheduling Tip 2 : If you are posting to the scheduling conversation first, provide a list of dates and times when you are available to play. If you are posting to the scheduling conversation second, pick a specific start time and date for your match from those provided by your opponent. If none work for you, propose specific alternatives.

Participant List (9)
  1. vengefulpickle
  2. Castanietzsche
  3. Nopethebard
  4. ArthurWynne
  5. mysticjuicer
  6. flagrantangles
  7. Ivan
  8. CarpeGuitarrem
  9. Caralad

Previous Champions

19XX: Rebel 1 - Fivec
19XX: Waifu 2 - BD_Corro
19XX: Kerfuffle 3 - Legion
19XX: Ace 4 - mysticjuicer

5 Likes

Count me in ! I love this format :star_struck:

4 Likes

Count me in!

3 Likes

Sure, I’m in.

4 Likes

Thanks for organizing this! I’m in!

3 Likes

Would adding Sets to the ban list be in order? She is probably the best in the game if Troq and Zane aren’t present, even if Geiger and Degrey are present

There was a previous discussion of the ban list (reading the history, it looks like during Waifu 3), and the determination then was to let the meta settle out a bit more. It does look like Sets and Arg continued to do well in Ace 4… But I think for this run of the format, I’ll stick with the list as-is. Perhaps next time, we’ll do a 19XX.1, and update the ban list.

3 Likes

Okay fair enough

The name should be 18XX if/when that happens imo

2 Likes

I’ll give it a shot, blood clot!

3 Likes

How about 199X?

19XXXXXX IS BACK. I’m in.

5 Likes

Interesting ! I’d have suggested removing Geiger and DeGrey from the banlist, as they don’t have a lot of tournament MUs recorded. Eager to face your Setsuki with my Quince and my Onimaru :drooling_face:

1 Like

geiger without a zane would be really too much. His mu’s againt jaina and quince are too loopsided. Degrey has to be banned in 19XX. I hate him so much!

3 Likes

Hey sure I’ll give it a shot

4 Likes

I feel like this is my worst format. I’m still in though.

5 Likes

And we’re a go!

Here’s the bracket: 19XX Titan 5 - Challonge

1 Like

We had a last minute late arrival by way of the discord, so I’m going to switch up one match to accommodate.

@Caralad, I’m going to have @QBert (forum name still TBD), play @CarpeGuitarrem in the first round.

2 Likes

This is the report thread, right?

CarpeGuitarrem vs. @QBert
:onimaru: :pschip: :psfist: :midori:
:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :midori:

What a set! That was a nailbiter, and that last match hung on one good combat reveal. There’s so many interesting nuances in this matchup, wish I could play it more. P.S. dragon SCARY. Good luck going forward, Qbert! You brought legit pain down, it was great! (And were this IYL’s Best of 5 format, I would’ve been painfully smoked!)

1 Like

I assume you won, but the results show 3-3, so I just want to make sure. :sweat_smile:

1 Like