XCAPS 22 Ideas?

Wouldn’t that result in similar situations to what we have currently? You just go to 4 runes instead of 5 on your all-out attack that wipes your own board.

1 Like

It is possible to lock someone out of attackers long enough to get the win against Molac, even hasty molac. That is simply even more true for this nerfed version. The change to only affect it once its active is to ensure slow Molac isn’t more nerfed than hasty.

But maybe I am overthinking this.

Nah bro, it’s way too easy to shoot your opponent and then leave buffed chumps. I don’t think that would be a meaningful change.

1 Like

I agree with @Bryce_The_Rice on the MoLaC. @zhavier is that fine for you?

Anybody else with some last minute change requests? Otherwise this will be the list to be logged in for XCAPS22:

2 Likes

How about this as a compromise:
If you have no units in play, remove all runes from this.

2 Likes

I think that’s reasonable, definitely in the spirit of conservative changes

3 Likes

So I’ll put this summary of conservative changes up to final discussion. If you do not agree to these, please object ASAP, as consensus about the rules before the tournament starts is imperative in my eyes.

Pirate Gunship:
Loses Obliterate 2.

Vandy Anadrose:
Loses Resist 1 at midband.

Garth Torken:
Midband 2/4 → 2/3.

Lich’s Bargain:
Base damage 4 → 6.

Might of Leaf and Claw:
If you have no units in play, remove all runes from this.

(tbh: I for myself would prefer the destroy clause instead of the rune removal one, but I can live with this variant as well)

1 Like

Personally I prefer destroy but I suppose rune removal is basically just as bad

It keeps upgrade removal relevant, I suppose.

2 Likes

I approve.

Also prefer the destroy but it’s kinda 6 one way half dozen the other, I’m down for “remove all the runes”

Imagining a version of Maximum Anarchy that says “Destroy all units and heroes, and Might of Leaf and Claw.”

(This is not a suggestion of course, haha.)

1 Like

I’m surprised not to see Rook nerfs. I always thought his early game size and the value of birds plus the threat of ridiculous earthquake plays made him just a bit over tuned.

With vandy and Garth being nerfed he stands alone as the most oppressive early game hero.

My change would be making birds nest cost go from 2 to 3 or to remove the birds if the nest leaves play.

Edit: I also think some small buff to the blue starter is in order. Maybe removing the owner draw a card bit from porkhand magistrate.

I was creating the most minimal list of changes based on what I saw as the most egregious outliers in things that are too strong. I didn’t look at weak things at all.
You can see I did consider a nerf to Bird’s Nest, because I agree that Rook is very strong early game, but it remains to be seen if it’s too much.
My goal, as stated originally, is to hopefully create a small set of changes to be adopted for all tournaments, not just experimental ones.
For now, shaving off a smidge of Black’s power, preventing gunship from being absurd, and slightly cutting Might of Leaf and Claw’s power in haste decks should hopefully achieve that aim without going overboard anywhere.

4 Likes

Ah I missed the birds discussion. Basically the same change!

I get it, and starting small is a good approach, but I still think it will take more to bring things into any semblance of balance, and at a certain point improving the worst things/least played cards is easier than nerfing everything else to that level.

The optimal balance would be all heroes being playable and seeing a great diversity in decks, but looking around it doesn’t look like much has changed in the 4 years I took off the game.

Glad someone is doing it though and I’m happy to do what I can to help. I stopped playing because it felt stale to me without a balance change, so now I’m getting interested again!

We actually did do a larger change set for xcafs 20 or 21 I believe @Penatronic, was very finesse heavy as I recall!

1 Like

A nerf I’d propose is to make Flagstone Garrison only trigger for units that arrive from hand. That [Future]/Peace/Blood deck is dominating with very stale tech choices.

1 Like

Is that really just a KotC nerf? what else does that target aside from KotC?

Flagstone Garrison already only triggers when you play units from hand. I would propose increasing the cost from 3 to 4.

1 Like

OffKilter’s suggestion is to change it from “play from hand” to “arrive from hand”, which as Frozen notes only matters to forecast units.
I do agree that it’s not the nerf I’d make to Flagstone Garrison or to [Purple]/Peace/X.

3 Likes