[Tournament] IYL9 - Ongoing!

Gwen won a deckout victory? How did that happen?

1 Like

I blocked a lot and triggered the 10 once :grin:
my opponent finished with 7hp left and I had 11
I prefered this because my opponent didn’t have many throws left at the end
I didn’t win that many combats but each one did severe damages

5 Likes

cpat 3-1 Southpawhare
:jaina: > :rook: - Last combat of a back-and-forth game. Rook had known AA in hand and I was out of fast attacks. I hedged my bets and went for a slow J to try to beat the other side of the mixup and hit the throw for the win.
:jaina: < :gloria: - I believe I lost every combat this game, and Gloria snowballed to a very comfortable win. I did misplay by accidentally taking 2 chip damage to drop me down to 20 (instead of Gold Bursting) but I don’t think it mattered in 95% of cases.
:zane: > :gloria: - Zane did Zane things until wakeup Sun and Moon turned things around for Gloria. Luckily the resource cost was too high, she ended up with a subpar hand after the fact, and was unable to handle additional Zane pressure.
:zane: > :vendetta: - Another close game. Vendetta got one early KD but did not get a second one. SPH was unable to draw 2s for a bit and when he did, I was able to trade up with another Crash Bomb. Grabbed a lifelead off that, and eventually used that to trade with Surgical Strike (lol). One final KD for Zane and most of the even blocks down meant that Vendetta didn’t have an answer for cross-up 6-attack. And of course, if Vendetta had won just one more combat, he could have closed it out to force a game 5.

Very close set, could’ve swung either way. GGs!

3 Likes

Carpe vs @Nopethebard

:jaina: > :rook:
:rook: < :jaina:

Tight set, a lot of close games, and I had to stare down three Checkmate Busters over the course of the set :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

cpat 3-1 _ed
:zane: < :degrey: - I baited out both Jokers early without follow-up, at the cost of one of my own. We both built for cards, until my 6-attack stuffed a Pilebunker for 31 damage and KD. Unfortunately, I was unable to capitalize on my advantaged state, and after a little back-and-forth, my Anarchy was unfortunately dodged, and the following turn, I ate PCP into AA for lethal.
:zane: > :degrey: - I got stuck with a relatively awkward hand early, and ate an early 30 damage Ghost Riposte. However, I was able to block up for Anarchy fuel in the mid-game. When I was KD, _ed called attacks for Troublesome Rhetoric and I played my Anarchy into it, which brought me back into the game. Next turn, I outsped the 2-attack with my own jab into KD, and won out with Crash Bomb.
:zane: > :degrey: - We both had exceptionally low damage hands for our characters, but I definitely lost the earlygame. Unfortunately in the mid-game, DeGrey was stuck with a hand full of Ks and used two of them as combo fodder for decent, but not terribly exciting, damage. I powered up for Anarchy and immediately chucked it into a block, but one Zane 2-attack resulted in a 67 damage KD-chain as _ed ran out of Ks (one of which was lost to C&D) right when I drew all my Js for a particularly nasty comeback.
:zane: > :degrey: - We both built for cards early again. DeGrey got a couple of good early hits in again, but I powered up for Anarchy. After a couple successful throws and a block, I successfully landed it, and on the following turn, with two Jokers in hand, I decided to play my own 7-attack into TR’d PCP for a 32-damage combat win and the set.

Yet another close set. GGs.

2 Likes

flagrantangles wins 3-0 vs @Zejety
:geiger::psfist::pschip::bbb: - I just did standard Geiger stuff and eventually took the game with an 82-point TD combo. So casual.
:geiger::psfist::pschip::gwen: - This game was a bit more even with some slugging back and forth but I am able to take it with the threat of Aces into Flash Gear.
:geiger::psfist::pschip::gwen: - This one was the most even in which I got a nice opening 567 but shortly after had my tenders kicked in by Gwen’s favorite meal: spaghetti. We do some hot trading until I can close it out with Cycloid Revolution.

GGs Zejety!

3 Likes

GGs, flag!

Zejety wins 3-2 against @SouthpawHare
:bbb::knockdown::psfist::bbb:
:grave::psfist::knockdown::bbb:
:grave::knockdown::psfist::menelker:
:bbb::psfist::knockdown::menelker:
:bbb::psfist::knockdown::zane:

This was a really fun set! The BBB mirror feels really stupid, but it was a fun puzzle to (fail to) work out.
Really enjoyed the character variety even if the odd top-tier snuck in on both sides. :wink:
Games 3 and 5 in particular stand out as cool catch-ups. SPH was somewhat behind in 3 but turned it around with DSD (!).
Game 5 started with Zane somewhat ahead and me on low cards. But I somehow managed to sneak in some damage here and there, most of it with throws, surprisingly.

GGs!

4 Likes

AutoTO is on the fritz. Having trouble sending messages with the new round.

1 Like

@Castanietzsche 3 - 1 @ArthurWynne
:gwen::psfist::pschip::grave:
:gwen::psfist::pschip::grave:
:gwen::pschip::psfist::grave:
:quince::psfist::pschip::grave:

ggs, thx for the games ! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

mastrblastr 3 - 0 @Ivan
:geiger: > :lum: IMO one of the most fun / interesting MUs in the game. had a really weird hand with 0 spirals all game but KKK8887777 like extremely early on. just super bullied lum on speed which isn’t supposed to be able to happen
:geiger: > :degrey: came out extremely aggro, went down to 2 cards, both of which were jokers. Ended up at the end of known hand of AA and nothing else and had to play topdeck hoping for a throw as i lost almost all my life to mono A dodge. Finally got a throw and it won.
:geiger: > :degrey: got down low and had to navigate i think 3 TRs correctly, back to back combat wins of 87J beating A dodge both combats dealt 48 cost him both aces and got me back in, and got the close out shortly after.

GGs Ivan! I was nervous because I hadn’t played geiger in forever, but these matches were the fun matchups of yomi that I really enjoy. GL in future matches!

6 Likes
Game @Cypher vs. @Nopethebard
Round 1 :onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :rook:
Round 2 :onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :rook:
Round 3 :onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :rook:

Cypher wins, 3-0

• Round 1 – Kept on chipping through that rock with Guard Crushes until it worked! There was a pretty scary moment where a Checkmate Buster could have ended the game, but after that was diffused, it was business as usual.
  • Round 2 – Another round where Onimaru punches a Checkmate Buster. I think my opponent used all four of her Windmill Crushers in a row, at one point, and I was tossing out low normals just to avoid throws. Eventually, I was able to leave Rook at just 1 hit point after being unable to pump my Spirit Fire (always feels bad), but I avoid the Wall of Vines comeback and manage to close it out.
  • Round 3 – Absolutely ridiculous game! I threw twice and dodged once (none of 'em worked), and everything else was attacks. There were a lot of Aces flying around (none of 'em worked). I managed to attach 3 of my Clockwork Soldiers, all of which were eventually diffused, and my opponent played three Checkmate Busters (!) throughout the round. Again, all were eventually diffused. I finished out the match by attacking seven times in a row, through every Stone Wall and Entangling Vines I ran into. Eventually, it worked!

GG;WP to my opponent! Very exciting match with tons of big numbers and chunky hits all over the place.

4 Likes

Hah! Hoisted by my petard! The reason AutoTO is on the fritz is because SG took my (and others) advice and made the forums redirect to https.

6 Likes

Zejety wins 3-0 against @_ed
:bbb::psfist::knockdown::degrey:

I had good hands for the MU and good reads in all matches. Plenty of Ks and lucky attacks against 7s is all that BBB needed here. The first match in particular had me win all combats with the exception of hitting one block and tying two blodges (one of which under TR), IIRC.

The other rounds were less extreme but still relatively decisive in terms of hp advantage.

Highlights on ed’s part were blocking every. single. mix-up normal, and connecting with a raw pilebunker that I unfortunately -for him- gold-bursted out of.

Finally, I couldn’t resist taking this screenshot of ed commenting on me having a K while I secretly held 3 of them :grin:

GGs! Thanks to @feathers for spectating, too!

3 Likes

cpat 3-1 Zejety
:degrey: > :bbb: - I was absolutely dominated in the early/mid-game. Tried to go for some early cheeky throws and got punished hard for it. However, DeGrey with a large hand can always make a couple random plays and stage a comeback, and that was what happened here. I successfully read a J/Q Overdrive mixup at Range on 5 HP, baited out the second Joker after a 2-attack, and hit Q5J and throw-AA for the win.
:degrey: < :bbb: - Had a much better footing in this game early, but lost the plot in the lategame. I found myself at Range in a bad spot, could not get out despite having two Jokers in hand, and was outread in nearly every lategame combat. Ultimately, I had lost too many combats lost to BBB’s seven dodges, and lost the final mixup to K-throw.
:jaina: > :bbb: - The first two games were not the best for me, so I decided to go with a Jaina pick instead, and it paid off huge. Set the pace with a couple crazy throws, topdecked a 2-attack at exactly the right moment, threw again as soon as I found AA, and cruised to a comfortable victory from there.
:jaina: > :bbb: - The earlygame was a little bad for me, but only because I had no strong combos off a fast attack (I believe my first combo was 23J), so it was a little awkward. Found myself at Range and took a lot of damage in the process, before I finally played an uppercut to get out. Went for a questionable Unstable Power into throw (I forgot you couldn’t play Aces when you combo into it), but I didn’t die for it. Dodged the ensuing Overdrive into Piston Hurricane, a setup I was quite familiar with, but really screwed up the end game with a questionable follow-up and then playing the wrong side of A in combat. Won out with a throw, but this was not pretty.

GGs!

4 Likes

cpat 3-1 mastrblastr
:degrey: > :argagarg: - Hit three early 6-attacks to set the pace, which is always fun. Over the course of the game, I went for three TR-attacks, all of which were successfully dodged (two unnecessarily, as we both agreed postgame) for an extra 36 HP and varying amounts of damage, the third of which was lethal.
:degrey: > :zane: - Very good earlygame for me, with T3 7-throw into AA for an early lifelead, and T5 67K, leaving Zane with only 27 HP to stage a comeback, but with a good number of cards. He started one with a KD combo into blocking the uppercut (feels worse on the other side). I dropped under 50 HP, and got thrown once for similar lifetotals. I called TR attacks when KD and played my own, topdecking into the AA which got bursted. Dodged Anarchy the subsequent turn, and won out with KD into K.
:degrey: < :zane: - The earlygame of this one was played wonderfully by mastrblastr: just correct decision after correct decision IMO, even baiting out the Joker and leaving me 50 life behind. Three slow attacks from my side brought it back, but eventually the Anarchy came out in response to my AA to close out the game.
:troq: > :zane: - Drew a silly yet potent anti-Zane, rushdown hand in this one. Plenty of early face cards and dodges, many of which landed over the course of the game. Unfortunately for Zane, both Gold Bursts were successfully avoided, which spelled disaster as combat after combat went in favor of Troq. I ate a Crash Bomb, but I drew a third K of my own to get me out, and ended the game with a dodge into throw into the Anarchy-disrespecting KD mixup.

GGs!

3 Likes

I think I’m a bit behind on sending out match invites, should be able to do that soon

1 Like

Ivan vs Cypher - 3:2
:gloria: :pschip: :psfist: :argagarg:
:gloria: :psfist: :pschip: :argagarg:
:gloria: :pschip: :psfist: :zane:
:jaina: :psfist: :pschip: :zane:
:jaina: :psfist: :pschip: :argagarg:
Great set. Very tense and fun as well. GGS, mate. Good luck in the rest battles.

4 Likes

flagrantangles wins 3-2 vs @Nopethebard
:geiger::pschip::psfist::rook:
:geiger::psfist::pschip::rook: - Doing lots of damage in one combat is pretty cool for Geiger and mean for everyone else.
:geiger::psfist::pschip::setsuki: - Cycloid Revolution is more powerful than Ninpo Flash sometimes.
:geiger::pschip::psfist::setsuki: - Oh no, my bones. I was thrown around like a doll.
:geiger::psfist::pschip::setsuki: - Setsuki was harder to pin down but Cycloid Revolution was able to close it out.

2 Likes

Southpaw Hare vs @Nopethebard

:rook: :pschip: :psfist: :rook:
:bbb: :psfist: :pschip: :rook:
:bbb: :pschip: :psfist: :setsuki:
:midori: :psfist: :pschip: :setsuki:
:midori: :pschip: :psfist: :lum:

Southpaw Hare 2 - 3 Nopethebard
Nopethebard Wins!

3 Likes

Ivan vs flagrantangles - 3:1
:valerie: :psfist: :pschip: :geiger:
:valerie: :psfist: :pschip: :geiger:
:valerie: :pschip: :psfist: :geiger:
:degrey: :psfist: :pschip: :geiger: - this match flagrant was dropped from the game and despite he return successfully, timer pushed him to play TD in bad moment.
GGs, man. Very fun and tense set.

2 Likes