Rules Questions thread

Also, just found this one (I updated his link to use the codexcarddb site):

[quote=“sharpobject”]Armor reduces damage, even if it is dealt in the form of -1/-1 runes, or dealt in the form of turns you must skip, or dealt in the form of stealing your gold. There might be some confusion from the overloading of the term “damage” to mean both the event where a thing is harmed by a certain amount AND the stuff that is left on the thing afterwards to keep track of how alive it still is. Armor reduces the former thing, which is the only way to get the latter thing, but doesn’t always result in the latter thing.

I could say “This works the same way as in mtg” but that would be pretty unhelpful.

This card also has armor piercing when attacking though!![/quote]

1 Like

Maybe we should stop calling damage* damage and call them ‘hurt tokens’. Anyone?

4 Likes

Just throwing in a clarification - the interaction between Overpower and Focus Master was discussed and clarified since @sharpobject made that post. Focus Master cannot save a patroller who is attacked by something with Overpower if any excess damage is redirected somewhere else. Codex Card Database | Focus Master

Carry on!

3 Likes

Hurt tokens is actually super difficult, since token is a rules term for a type of unit generated by other cards. Runes is also a rules term, so we can’t go with damage runes. Chits sounds like my high school Spanish teacher swearing.

I call all the pieces “markers” to try to be clear.

Although if we wanted to disambiguate rules terms, wow, tech is so context-dependent.

The game doesn’t include any moments outside of all players’ turns.

IIRC Deathtouch does not allow you to assign fewer damage before redirecting the remaining damage with overpower. I think this one is from @Sirlin

That’s how I’d always regarded it in my mind: that the deathtouch effect occurs immediately after regular combat, and regular combat rules make attackers do as much damage as they can automatically.

1 Like

I expect it to surprise a lot of MtG players.

1 Like

I’m just throwing out options

1 Like

So will a number of things, like how flying is handled and the inability to assemble a deck that cleanly beats another inherently

So, Abomination gives -1/-1 as a passive stat thing upon arrival, rather than dealing -1/-1 chits, right?

Yes. While he’s around, everything else has -1/-1.

1 Like

The current Overpower rulings say that excess damage can still be transfered to “something else this could have attacked” even if the original target didn’t die (two lives, indestructible, …).
What happens if the original target was the Squad Leader (or the only patroller). Do you choose the overpower target as if the first target had died or does the excess damage fizzle?

You choose the overpower target as if you aren’t forced to attack the first target. So you can overpower from squad leader to other patrollers, or if there’s only one patroller you are forced to attack, you can overpower from that patroller to a non-patroller.

2 Likes

If “End of Turn” effects happen during your turn, how could “Until end of turn” resolve on your opponent’s turn? Seems like “Until end of turn” ought to resolve before “End of Turn”.

“End of turn: Do X” is a triggered ability, so those necessarily happen one at a time and in some order. So we have to decide on a time for those to happen! We could put them in your turn, at the end, or we could put them in your opponent’s turn, in the ready step or something. We’ve put them in your turn. This is nice because then they happen while you’re the active player!

“X until end of turn” effects all expire simultaneously at the moment your turn ends, which is also the moment the next player’s turn begins.

1 Like

Oh, okay! Does the same rule hold for giving a unit back after a Kidnapping? It returns to its owner with arrival fatigue?

Since you give it back by the end of your turn, they will have it at the beginning of their ready step and it won’t have arrival fatigue. However, if your opponent controls one of your units with mind control, and then you destroy mind control (with nature reclaims, for example), then the unit you get back will have arrival fatigue.

1 Like

That moment can’t be on both players turns, though, right? Otherwise a Bugblatter would do 2 damage in the above situation. There are no moments in this game that exist on both players turns, are there?

I dunno, I think that “Until end of turn” effects technically resolving on your opponent’s turn rather than yours is a really counter-intuitive interpretation of the text.

That would mean that units returned to me after Kidnapping would not be readied at the start of my turn, since I didn’t “control it at the beginning of my turn”.

Ah, subtle. Thanks!