[CAMS22] Round2: P1 Penatronic [Finesse]/Disease/Necromancy vs P2 FrozenStorm [Demonology/Necromancy]/Finesse

I think you’ve got me, you hit a good discard and my split for the last 3 hands have been pretty suboptimal. They weren’t total screws, I didn’t have super high odds of getting everything to line up but it still stings. Swift strike is so good.

P1T10

Tech StartingHand Workers

TECH
Cursed Ghoul

STARTING HAND
Sickness
Death Rites
Plague Lab
Plague Lab
Gorgon (2/4)

WORKERS
Granfalloon Flagbearer
Fruit Ninja
Older Brother
Spark
Nimble Fencer
Tenderfoot (1/2)
Brick Thief (2/1), resist 1

NextHand

Timely Messenger
Nimble Fencer (2/3A)
Gorgon (2/4A)
Helpful Turtle

Tech 1 card(s)
Get Paid - ($11)
Plague Lab, -1/-1 counter on all your units - ($8)
Orpal - ($6)
Sickness on blademaster and River - ($4)
Garth to lvl7, pull out Cursed Ghoul - ($1)
Cursed ghoul puts a -1/-1 on blademaster
make a skeleton - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 2, draw 2, reshuffle, draw 2

Board Info:
In Patrol:

• :psblueshield: Squad Leader: Garth L7 (3/4A)
  • :psfist: Elite:
  • :ps_: Scavenger: Skeleton (1/1)
  • :pschip: Technician: Cursed Ghoul (4/5)
  • :target: Lookout:

In Play:

• Plague Lab (3HP)
  • Orpal L1 (1/3)

Buildings:

• :heart: Base HP: 18
  • :heart: Tech I HP: 5
  • :heart: Tech II HP: 5 (Disease)
  • :heart: Tower HP: 4

Economy Info:
Cards:

• Hand: 4
  • Deck: 10
  • Disc: 0

Gold:

• Gold: 0
  • Workers: 11
Thoughts

If I had spreading plague this turn it probably would have put me ahead, but now I’m probably SOL. I think this is the right patrol, it should be harder for him to get his units to 1 shot Garth, though anything is possible with fencers and virtuosos.

Maybe, that’s a lot of -1/1

CAMS22 Round 2 Player 2, Turn 10

P2 Nightmare-ish vs P1 Finesse/Necromancy/Disease

Link to full rule changes in effect

Starting Hand

Maestro
Pestering Haunt
Nimble Fencer
Grounded Guide
Graveyard (skeleton, bah!)

Events of Turn:

Upkeep:

• Get Gold (11)
  • No techs
All Teched Cards

Blademaster x2
Grounded Guide
Grounded Guide, Dark Pact
Star-Crossed Starlet x2
Leaping Lizard, Discord
Maestro, Nimble Fencer
Dark Pact, Nimble Fencer

Main:

• Grounded Guide (6)
  • Garth (4)
  • Blademaster kills SQL, Garth to level 3
  • Imp dies to Ghoul, deals 2
  • Lizard swift strikes down Ghoul, takes 1 from tower, you draw 1
  • River swift strikes down skeleton, takes 1, you get 1g
  • Maestro (1)
  • Nimble Fencer, kills Orpal, Garth to level 5
  • Make a skeleton, sacrifice to draw 1 (0)
Workers

Shadow Blade, Jandra, The Negator, Skeletal Archery, Skeleton Javelineer, Summon Skeletons, Poisonblade Rogue

• :pspurpleshield: Patrol as below
  • Discard 2 Draw 4

Board Info:

Buildings:

• Tech1 HP: 5
  • Tech2 HP: 5 FINESSE
  • Tech3 HP: 5
  • Tower HP: 3

In Patrol:

• :psblueshield: Squad Leader: Maestro (4/5a)
  • :pspig: Scavenger: Grounded Guide (4/4)
  • :exhaust: Technician:

In Play:

• River (2/2 lvl 5, -)
  • Blademaster (6/2, —)
  • Leaping Lizard (3/3, -)
  • Nimble Fencer (4/3)
  • Garth (2/3 lvl 5)

Economy Info:

Cards:

• Deck: 7
  • Disc: 4

Gold:

End of Turn Hand

Nimble Fencer
Discord
Deteriorate
Blademaster

End of Turn Discard
My Thoughts

K let’s give the levels to Garth, plan to kill both heroes. I can then use the last gold to draw 1 w/ skele. If I get Fencer, its a tower kill. If I get blademaster, it’s tech2 down. And if I get Grounded Guide, I can rez it next turn. Anything else isn’t too bad to draw, though graveyard wouldn’t be ideal I’d love to get that slapped down.

Booourns. Oh well.

Both lizard and imp had -1/-1, how do they kill the ghoul?

Never mind I forgot the guide gives them +1 too

1 Like

Pretty sure you’re gonna dunk on me now, but I feel good about how well much of a fight I was able to pull off.

P1T11

StartingHand Workers

STARTING HAND
Helpful Turtle
Gorgon (2/4A)
Nimble Fencer (2/3A)
Timely Messenger
Plague Lab

WORKERS
Granfalloon Flagbearer
Fruit Ninja
Older Brother
Spark
Nimble Fencer
Tenderfoot (1/2)
Brick Thief (2/1), resist 1

NextHand

Spreading Plague
Spreading Plague
Bloom
Bone Collector (3/3)

Discard

Helpful Turtle
Timely Messenger

Tech 0 card(s)
Get Paid + scav + tech - ($12)
Plague lab #2, -1/-1 on all units - ($9)
Tap plague lab #1, add a -1/-1 to everything with one already, blade master dies - ($7)
Gorgon - ($4)
Fencer - ($2)
River - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 2, draw 4

Board Info:
In Patrol:

• :psblueshield: Squad Leader: Gorgon (2/4A)
  • :ps_: Scavenger: Nimble Fencer (2/3)
  • :pschip: Technician: River L1 (2/3)

In Play:

• Plague Lab #1 (3HP)
  • Plague Lab #2 (3HP)

Buildings:

• :heart: Tech I HP: 5
  • :heart: Tech II HP: 5 (Disease)
  • :heart: Tower HP: 4

Economy Info:
Cards:

• Deck: 5
  • Disc: 2

Gold:

Thoughts

got kinda lucky with the sprading plagues NOT being in my hand this time, but I’m pretty sure he’s going to dunk on my next turn since I really wasn’t able to kill much.

2 Likes

relentless atrophy, disease really does get underrated. GG WP!

CAMS22 Round 2 Player 2, Turn 11

P2 Nightmare-ish vs P1 Finesse/Necromancy/Disease

Link to full rule changes in effect

Starting Hand

Nimble Fencer
Discord
Deteriorate
Blademaster

Events of Turn:

Upkeep:

• Get Gold (11)
  • No techs
All Teched Cards

Blademaster x2
Grounded Guide
Grounded Guide, Dark Pact
Star-Crossed Starlet x2
Leaping Lizard, Discord
Maestro, Nimble Fencer
Dark Pact, Nimble Fencer

Main:

• Blademaster for free
  • Nimble Fencer for free
  • Deteriorate SQL, Fencer kills swiftly, you draw 1 (10)
  • Vandy + Midband (6)
  • Maxband Garth, fetch Star-Crossed Starlet (4)
  • Lizard and Fencer kill Scav, both die to tower, you get 1g
  • Garth kills River swiftly, takes 1, you draw 1, Vandy Maxbands and dooms Starlet
  • Blademaster 9 + Starlet 7 + Maestro 2 + Grounded Guide 2 + River 1 deal 21 to your base, GG WP!

Wither is so good and this deck really brings the heat on defeating both hero and unit spam. Maybe I’d have finished earlier with more Meta threat (the SQL Vandy was definitely a bad choice in hindsight) but certainly made for a close and interesting game! GL next round Penatronic!

since the match has ended, i would like to give my 2 cents. HEr withering the imp was sub par. You had bloom in your hand. Had you used it on orpal, the turn would have been the same but you would have kept the rune, saving money for when you later bloomed orpal.

Here I would have rather broken tech I. Without it no fencer and no hasted units, hence even if he had maestro, it would have been useless. Also, with no haste threat, i would have probably sacced another skele to draw and get 1 more card (vandy’s sshot made the tech+scav 2 kills for 1 hit anyway.)

2 Likes

Gg wp, after this game and reading through some older games I’m surprised nobody has mentioned nerfs to finesse. Maestro letting you have a free blade master feels silly. Changing his text to cost -2 would still be really strong

2 Likes

good points, I am still very rusty and I’ve never actually played this spec before. I’ve been experimenting with [Neutral]/disese/x, not really sure what the best X is though. Considering how well this held out despite not getting to execute the wombo combo of plague n’ plague maybe necro is the answer.

Some spec with card draw/cycling to make the threat of big Maestro draws, probably. Disease technically has card draw, but it’s at Tech II as well.

1 Like

If you want a finesse/disease/draw engine, the best choice is imo either Necro with garth and skellies or peace. Otherwise aside from DP there’s nothing below t2, as charnel mouse said.

1 Like

Yeah, the main play I’m going for is Plague lab + Bloom + Spreading Plague type shenanigans, so the Gorgon at T2 is good from disease. The two options that seem most appealing are either Necro w/ Garth + skeles, plus gives access to the Bone Collector and nether drain, or Demonology with Vandy just being good and dark pact + the alternate win condition of Terras Q and discord, though that’s kind of meme-ey. Not sure what codices that would be good or bad against as I haven’t really tested it.

1 Like

Scribes draw too.

i have probably played a lot more scribes than anyone really should.

not good enough, imo. 1 card for 2 gold and 1 tech is not worth it compared to the BC’s ability to spam skellies, better stats, and garth basically drawing 1 card for 1 gold once per turn with midb.

one last bit of advice. One thing i noticed is that people underuse garth’s ult whereas i saw a great win rate for those who did. to give you an idea, it went like this: death rites->BC attacks, trades, DR kills another enemy.->garth sacs skellie to draw, kill another enemy->etc. Imo faced with an enemy spamming troops, midb+death rites can clear the field

It also depends on whether you’re focusing exclusively on the Finesse engine, or whether you just want it to be a sufficiently-threatening option among several.

1 Like

wasn’t saying about focusing only on that, just that many ppl use garth maxb and just forget about the ult. imo it’s a nice tool to keep an enemy from spamming units faster than you can kill them.

1 Like

Well, my experience with Garth is limited, but whenever I played him and had a good situation for planning the maxband ahead, I still found myself not wanting the card in my deck. It’s 4 gold and a card for nothing on it’s own (I know, create and sac a skel for 1 gold is always possible). It’s a combo piece for which you have to have the proper additional cards (=any units to die) available. Also it very well may end up as a dead card (there is a reason why you are only allowed to cast ultimate spells a turn after reaching maxband) or simply a winmore card.

Setsuki, Geiger, and to a lesser extent Vir also have card draw boons below T2.