Youtube videos?

@ap49 @mysticjuicer Can’t thank you enough for putting these up! They’re really great.

I’ll make the argument that we dont want perfect games. Seeing errors, and learning from them as you watch is quite valuable. You make far fewer errors than I do when I play :wink:

3 Likes

Oooh I got my 2nd monitor, and have discovered a neat little trick that will let me put cards up on screen during commentary without using a library of images. Feeling pretty happy! It’s going to take up some screen real estate, but should be fine. Now I just need to figure out something to fill up the remaining blank screen space. Hmm.

7 Likes

Cant wait for these vids

1 Like

New vids!

December and January just flew by. February is looking promising if there is any potential for a meet-up! :grinning:

3 Likes

Can you share your idea? I assume you’ll capture some area from your second screen and move the right imagines in there?

1 Like

Exactly right. Because the card database puts the card image in the same position, what I’ve got is basically this:

monitor 1: full screen video of the match being recorded
monitor 2: card database aligned left using windows key + left, and OBS out of the way

I was trying to figure out how to use OBS pro to capture only a portion of some screen, but haven’t been able figure that out. Instead I’ve just set things up so that the video of the gameplay takes up most of the screen, and then on the right I have my facecam and just below that I have the monitor 2 capture arranged so you can only see the card itself. That way, as I’m commentating, I can use the search function to bring up whatever card I want to highlight.

It means that the video of the gameplay is going to be slightly smaller, so probably to see what’s going on you’ll need to be watching on an actual monitor and with the video set to full-screen, but it will hopefully make it easier and more interesting to follow what’s going on from a strategic point of view.

The only thing now is that this screen set-up leaves some unused space on the bottom of the screen, so I’m trying to figure out if there’s something interesting I can put there. For now I’ll probably put together some simple images: a small Codex banner and some links to where you can buy it or something, with some YouTube-y like/comment/subscribe reminders. idk

Incidentally, if someone could figure out how to use OBS pro to capture only a portion of a screen, that would be amazing. I could do a bunch of stuff with that, including tracking people’s base and tech health, worker numbers “live” during a cast. Which would let me potentially zoom in on the gameboard, which would just make for a better video overall.

Hmm… I wonder, if I set something up in Excel, if I could use the ‘window’ capture? …I’ll have to experiment with that this evening!

edit: I was initially trying to use ‘window’ capture to get the card database information on the recording, but I believe having more than one browser tab or window open simultaneously makes that fail. I would only have one instance of Excel open though, so assuming I can crop out or hide, like, the menu bits of the Excel document… this might have legs!

1 Like

Isn’t there a source which is monitor capture which you can adjust the size of?

There definitely was in the OBS classic, but I’ve switched to (and am very happy with) OBS studio. I feel like I can only capture the whole monitor, and then resize it and move it around in the recording area, but I can’t figure out how to display only a part of it instead of the whole thing.

[spoiler]@LK4O4 hey, I’m wondering if it’s possible to fix an issue I’m having as I try to set up a better commentary rig for Codex videos. At the moment, the relative position of a card’s image in the codex card database is different depending on whether the rules text/clarification text causes the window to generate a scroll bar. To see what I mean, maximize the page for Rook and compare it to the maximize page for Geiger, for example.

So if I’m displaying a card without rules text, and it’s centered in my recording, if I switch to a card with rules text, it’ll display as off-center. It doesn’t look awful, but… it could look better, for sure.

So what I need is to either (1) set Chrome to always display a scrollbar, or (2) have the card image always position itself relative to the top left of the screen, regardless of whether a scrollbar appears.[/spoiler]

I’m assuming #1 is way easier to do, obviously. Anyone know how I can do that? EDIT: Bomber provided a fix! Ignore this post except for the below image!

Here’s a preview of the casting set up, btw. :smile: The text box at the bottom of the screen will get prettied up with some colours and I’m going to fiddle with the font choice. But looks promising, right?

6 Likes

Also I figured out how to crop stuff in OBS studio! Wooo!

1 Like

Make it a window.

2 Likes

Even if it’s a window, the relative position of the image to the top left corner of the window isn’t constant, so it’ll just move around inside that window? Hmm. Oh! I could make the browser really small and force there to be a scrollbar, I guess?

1 Like

Sick, that totally works! Thanks dude!

2 Likes

Sometimes the most low tech solution is the best.

3 Likes

So, any estimate for when new Codex videos will be ready? There’s no rush; I just think the Internet needs more Codex vids. :wink:

5 Likes

taps his nose conspiratorially Keep your eyes peeled! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

New Codex vids (with fancy new video overlay) will be up tomorrow. More of me playing White, but my opponent played Red, so there’s some new stuff on that side at least. One game I went first, and one game he went first. I’m going to try and do that kind of thing as much as possible, because I think the way P1/P2 change the way you can play is really important to highlight.

3 Likes
6 Likes

Great commentary, as always! I’ll need to rewatch the video (and type on my computer instead of this phone…) before I can give my full thoughts, but here’s what I have while the first viewing is fresh in my mind:

• I’m glad that you pointed out all the mistakes that were made by both you and your opponent, whether it was rules related or simple misplays. That’s the kind of feedback that I wish I could give the people I teach, but without recording the match its hard to give such specific feedback. Maybe I should pester my dad until he lets me use his camera…?
  • As a prospective White player (currently saving for Nintendo Switch, but I’m hoping to get the expansion soon after that), I will never complain about more videos featuring White. Especially since this was against Red, which I’m much more familiar with due to playing the Core Set matchup a lot. Speaking of which…
  • I’ve watched many matches with new or inexperienced players using Red and Green, and the starting deck upgrades are almost irresistible. Bloodburn looks like tons of free damage for doing what Red does best, and Rich Earth sounds like so much value! What they don’t stop to consider is the importance of getting good blockers in the early game, and how playing this thing that costs ③ and can’t patrol is the opposite of that. My advice for a new Red player would be to only play Bloodburn if you already have more than enough blockers (or units in general) on your board, and consider using it as a worker instead. Often it’s better to just have it give you gold instead of costing a lot of gold to give you a bit of damage. Once they get more experience they should try experimenting with it, but early on it’s too risky for new players to mess with most of the time.

That’s all for now! Hopefully I’ll be able to add more later.

1 Like