Youtube videos?

I think there was a mistake that was not recognized.
Didn’t bombaster kill someone who is not patrolling?

As for the video. Great commentary. I enjoyed every minute and I want more.
It will be a big plus if you can manage to capture a more even match no player is sure who would win. Or a great comeback.

I also would love to see different mono color matchups. Can you manage to do all mono color permutations:stuck_out_tongue:
I am not particularly for matchups with mixed colors or specific builds, but I will never say no to a codex video. We need as many videos as possible.

2 Likes

Good catch! Yes, I was on a bit of a tangent at the time, so I missed the play - you’re right.

I agree that a more even match is more interesting to show off. Next time Dan is over I’ll make sure he plays Blue, since he’s taken a bunch of games off me that way, and it’s by far the colour he’s most experienced with.

As I mention in the video, I have a bunch of other games recorded where me and Matt play different colours, and I will be recording them. The only issue there is that the commentary is going to be much more about tactical decisions (how to patrol, mistakes made when attacking) rather than strategic, because we’re both fumbling around trying to learn new factions. Should still satisfy the Codex video itch, at least! :smiley:

2 Likes
9 Likes
7 Likes

Spoiler

[details=Summary]Did your opponent really have no comeback possible?
It felt like he conceded prematurely.
Maybe he had nothing usable in his hand that turn?[/details]

Dude, spoiler!

Too late for you :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Now you have to hide it

2 Likes

[details=Summary]It’s hard to say without knowing what was in Leviticus’ hand and reviewing the exact set-up after my last attack - I believe they might have been at 9 workers and either 3 or 4 cards.

Other than the one Oversized Rhino I didn’t see much that contested my units/heroes, and even a 2nd one of those probably wouldn’t have changed the eventual outcome: I’d teched Entangling Vines to deal with the 1st Rhino that I ended up using Prynn on, and even without it, I can maxband Rook, and use him + 1 Bird to deal 5 damage that doesn’t reduce the strength of my board at all.

I won’t say for sure that it was hopeless, and maybe playing out one more turn just on hope would have been worth a shot, but I don’t think the concede was unreasonable.

edit:I’ll also concede that I’m not very familiar with Growth tech II units, but I don’t think there’s anything in there that would have put the game back to even. And while Zane’s Ult would allow a reset, I don’t think there’s any way Zane would survive the turn required to cast it.[/details]

1 Like

Don’t think I’ve seen a game where someone turtles quite as hard as Leviticus does there and have it work out for them, though there were a few turns around when the Oversized Rhinoceros came out that there were a lot of scary potential plays depending on what had been teched. And as you said, if he had used Zane to clear Prynn and get the Rhino back into action, that would have been a huge swing in his favor.

I think there was a turn where your Fox Viper cleared the Squad Leader and neglected to sparkshot the boulder in the Elite slot - that extra damage would have freed up a bird later to go take out the Prospector or set up some other play.

1 Like

I believe he had Verdant Tree out at that point, which meant the sparkshot would have been irrelevant. I also would have lost the Fox Viper (and it’s 2+ damage on a subsequent attack) if I’m remembering right.

Summary

And I agree, I feel like the opener was too passive - essentially making me P1 but with a P2 economy - BUT depending on tech decisions and spotting the maxband Zane counter-attack, Leviticus was still totally in the game! I was honestly surprised that this super-passive high-health/low-attack patroller strat worked as well as it did! I thought that kind of play was essentially a non-strategy, but apparently it has some legs!

The attack in question is happening around 20:30, and you didn’t mention the sparkshot trigger that happened on the attack you were making anyway, but yeah, I guess it’s true that it was just going to be healed up by the Verdant Tree anyway.

1 Like

I’m about 7 minutes into this video, and I immediately noticed that Leviticus only paid 1 for his tech 1.

1 Like

Does that take into consideration the Merfolk Prospector gold, and reduction in worker cost due to Rich Earth?

Yes. He got 5 gold from workers and 1 from Prospector, and should have paid 2, 3, and 2 for Rook, Treant, and Tech 1.

1 Like

Yeah, I noticed that as well.

Fair. A couple of the games I’ve recorded have these kinds of errors - as I play more games I’m sure I’ll be more on top of them. At the moment I’m focusing mostly on just getting my own card interactions correct and leaving my opponent to do the same for theirs. Hopefully it doesn’t take away too much from the games for people watching.

There’s lots of things to overlook, like how in IRL games I almost always forget to declare my spec when building Tech II, even though I probably decided which one I wanted a turn or two before. Not that my IRL opponents are good enough for the lack of knowledge to actually bother them…

2 Likes

So I figured out the cause of those intermittent electrical pops and zaps in the most recent videos. Apparently Windows Movie Maker puts them in, and I don’t know how to fix that. I’ve been looking for other free video editing software and so far each of them has had some issue that prevents me from using them.

• Hitfilm 4 Express - causes visual issues in the final product
  • Lightworks - can’t generate 1080p video

I’m going to try Davinci Resolve next, but if anyone has any more suggestions, please let me know.

This has been immensely frustrating. The literal only thing I need from this software is the ability to cut out sections of video, to not cause audio or video artifacting, and to produce 1080p video.

I thought you just used the youtube editor for that

1 Like

I did, but then it started not showing me my videos for editing. :cry: So now I must scrabble in the dirt for another solution.