Casual: petE (mono-Red) vs robinz ([Necro]/Disease/Future)

Why change a winning formula, I guess? :slight_smile:

P1T5

Tech StartingHand Workers

TECH
Doom Grasp
Momentā€™s Peace

STARTING HAND
Nether Drain
Tinkerer
Tiny Basilisk
Bone Collector
Plasmodium

WORKERS
Temporal Research
Battle Suits
Forgotten Fighter
Neo Plexus
Plasmodium

NextHand

Xenostalker
Fading Argonaut
Nullcraft
Time Spiral

Discard

Nether Drain
Tiny Basilisk
Tinkerer
Doom Grasp
Momentā€™s Peace

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid + float - ($9)
Worker - ($8)
rebuild Tech 2
Garth casts Nether Drain, taking Jaina down to level 5, and Garth to level 3 - ($7)
Gath makes another skeleton

• ($6)
    Garth midbands - ($5)
    Bone Collector - ($3)
    build a Heroesā€™ Hall - ($1)

Float ($1)
Discard 2, draw 4

[B]Board Info:[/B]
[B]In Patrol:[/B]

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Hardened Mox (1/1+1A, indestructible)
  • :psfist: [I]Elite[/I]: Skeleton (1+1/1)
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]:
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]: Skeleton (1/1)
  • :target: [I]Lookout[/I]: Bone Collector (3/3)
    [B]In Play:[/B]
  • lvl 4 Garth (2/4)
    [B]Buildings:[/B]
  • :heart: Base HP: 15
  • :heart: Tech I HP: 5
  • :heart: Tech II HP: 5 (Future)
  • :heart: Heroesā€™ Hall HP: 4

[B]Economy Info:[/B]
[B]Cards:[/B]

• Hand: 4
  • Deck: 2
  • Disc: 5
    [B]Gold:[/B]
  • Gold: 1
  • Workers: 9
Thoughts

I guess this is why Scorch isnā€™t always an automatic worker on T1/T2. Although Iā€™m puzzled to have not seen any fire spells yet, which are all strictly better than Scorchā€¦

So heā€™s broken Tech 2, thankfully on a turn where I didnā€™t have any Tech 2s in hand. The top priority has to be protecting it again - but I almost certainly canā€™t :frowning: Jaina can do 3 damage and Lobber 1, no matter how full my patrol zone - and he can get a 5th from any of: a second Lobber, redrawing Scorch, or any Fire spell - oh, and playing Hotter Fire (shudder - in that case Iā€™ll need a Nature Reclaims if Iā€™m ever able to get Midori in play). At least by Nether Draining Jaina I force him to spend another 2 gold to get that effect - my only way to get back in this game is if I can slow his economy down long enough for him to stop destroying my tech buildings.

I nearly floated 3 gold here, because there wasnā€™t much to really spend it on. Itā€™s pointless maxing Garth until I can do it to bring a Tech 2 in. I donā€™t want to go down to 1 card and slow my cycling to a crawl, so I had to choose only one of BC and TB to play - and chose BC both because of the skeletons/Midori synergy, and more importantly because it has more HP, which is quite siginificant against a Fire strategy (the poor old Basilisk would likeliy get destroyed without actually being attacked). But I eventually decided to build the Heroesā€™ Hall, to get Midori out next turn if he destroys Tech 2 again, which he probably will. Of course heā€™s got Lizzos and Firebirds to come, with probably midband Drakk to enable Firebird to one-shot my tech buildings. So I need to get quite lucky here to not get blown away in short order.

1 Like

P2 Turn5

[details=Tech StartingHand Workers][spoiler]
TECH
Kidnapping
Flame Arrow

STARTING HAND
Nautical Dog
Makeshift Rambaster
Bamstamper Lizzo
Lobber

WORKERS
Careless Musketeer
Bloodburn
Bombaster
Pillage

[/spoiler][/details]

[details=NextHand][spoiler]
Burning Volley
Molting Firebird
Scorch
Bloodrage Ogre

[/spoiler][/details]

[details=Discard][spoiler]
Makeshift Rambaster
Nautical Dog
Kidnapping
Flame Arrow

[/spoiler][/details]
Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid + float - ($10)
Zane, to lvl 4 - ($5)
Lobber #2 - ($4)
Bamstamper Lizzo, arrival kills Bone Collector - ($0)
Jaina disables Mox, sparkshot kills Elite Skeleton
Lobber #1 kills Technician Skeleton, you draw
Zane and Lobber #2 break Tech II, your Base to 13HP
Skip worker

Float ($0)
Discard 2, draw 4

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Bamstamper Lizzo (5/3)
  • :psfist: [I]Elite[/I]:
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]:
  • :target: [I]Lookout[/I]:
  • Jaina lvl 5 (3/2)
  • Lobber #1 (2/1)
  • Lobber #2 (2/2)
  • Zane lvl 4 (3/3)
  • :heart: Base HP: 20
  • :heart: Tech II HP: 5 (Fire)

• Deck: 3
  • Disc: 4
  • Gold: 0
  • Workers: 9

[details=Thoughts][spoiler]

Skipping a worker to keep his Tech II out of action again.

[/spoiler][/details]

Jaina is actually level 5, right - since I didnā€™t see you pay to level her again?

Youā€™ve got the right stats for her at L5, and the rest of your turn looks OK, but just checking I hvaenā€™t missed anything.

1 Like

Youā€™re right, had forgotten the Nether Drain, Jaina is lvl 5 (3/2) having taken 1 damage this turn. Turn otherwise unchanged.

P1T6

TECH
Momentā€™s Peace
Doom Grasp

STARTING HAND
Xenostalker
Fading Argonaut
Nullcraft
Time Spiral
Hive

WORKERS
Temporal Research
Battle Suits
Forgotten Fighter
Neo Plexus
Plasmodium
Time Spiral

NextHand

Nullcraft
Nether Drain
Bone Collector
Momentā€™s Peace
Bone Collector

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid + float - ($10)
Worker - ($9)
rebuild Tech 2, again
summon and midband Midori

• ($3)
    Garth makes a skeleton, now 2/2
  • ($2)
    Fading Argonaut (who has no useful ability, but who I assume doesnā€™t get buffed my Midori since ā€œfading 3ā€ counts as an ability?) - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 3, draw 1, reshuffle, draw 4

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Hardened Mox (1/1+1A, indestructible)
  • :psfist: [I]Elite[/I]: skeleton (2+1/2)
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]: Fading Argonaut (2/3, fading, 3 runes)
  • lvl 4 Garth (2/4)
  • lvl 5 Midori (3/4)
  • :heart: Base HP: 13
  • :heart: Tech II HP: 5 (Future)
  • :heart: Heroesā€™ Hall HP: 4

• Hand: 5
  • Deck: 7
  • Disc: 0
  • Workers: 10
Thoughts

This is getting pretty rough - he broke Tech 2 again, I donā€™t have much in hand that is both useful AND playable, AND he managed to build a huge board while doing it. About the only consolation is that Iā€™ve managed to starve him of gold enough that he couldnā€™t afford to play a worker.

The only bright spot is that the Heroesā€™ Hall that I built last time means that at last I get Midori in play. Not a huge help when I can only make 1 skeleton this turn (and itā€™s almost certainly going to die), but at least itā€™ll be a bit tougher for him to keep everything alive while breaking through my patrol zone. He can do the latter and kill one or both of my heroes, or he can break my Tech 2 again - but Iā€™m not convinced I can do both. Iā€™m putting plenty of spells in the deck, for both heroes, and still have my Tech 2 units there, so unless he kills everything or I get a truly sucky draw, I might be able to achieve SOMETHING next turnā€¦

(Now Iā€™ve seen my hand, I think Iā€™m really going to need Midori alive. ND is good but not great, and I drew neither DG nor either of my Tech 2s.)

Iā€™ve also got the threat of a flying max Midori next turn if he doesnā€™t kill him. Iā€™m certainly in a desparate position in this game, but Iā€™m not giving up yet.

P2 Turn6

[details=StartingHand Workers][spoiler]
STARTING HAND
Bloodrage Ogre
Burning Volley
Molting Firebird
Scorch

WORKERS
Careless Musketeer
Bloodburn
Bombaster
Pillage

[/spoiler][/details]

Get Paid - ($9)
Jaina to maxband - ($7)
Burning Volley, kills Midori and Skeleton, takes Zane to lvl 6, shoves Mox to Lookout and disables with 1dmg - ($4)
Lobbers trade with Fading Argonaut
Bamstamper Lizzo, Zane and Jaina deal 13dmg breaking your Base

GG!

lol, fair enough - knew I was losing badly, but didnā€™t see that coming!

although: how are you casting Burning Volley? Jaina wasnā€™t max at the start of your turn.

Right again ā€“ Iā€™ll redo.

Looks like I can still finish:

Get paid - ($9)
Lobber #1 sidelines Mox
Jaina trades with Skeleton
Lobber #2 kills Fading Argonaut
Drakk, to maxband - ($2)
Bloodrage Ogre, hasted - ($0)
Bamstamper Lizzo, Ogre and Zane deal 13dmg breaking your Base

But would be good to check the ruling on Midori midband.
Does Midoriā€™s midband buff Fading Argonaut or is the ā€œFading 1ā€ an ability?

1 Like

OK, that works - assuming you get Drakk out before hitting Fading Argonaut with Lobber (because you need 3ATK to kill him).

Are you up for another game? Iā€™m thinking of trying out another multicolour codex (not that Iā€™m giving up on this one yet), so if itā€™s OK with you Iā€™d like to switch to [Ninjutsu]/Anarchy/Disease.

Iā€™m not EricF, but Fading is definitely an ability. The text on Illusions, for example, is in italics because it isnā€™t an ability but rather a system wide rule. Fading isnā€™t in italics and it causes a change to the unit that has it every turn, so it has to be an ability.

2 Likes

Sure, Iā€™ll stick with mono-Red if youā€™re OK with that, my turn to start. Or let me know if thereā€™s a different matchup youā€™d like to explore.

I find P1 monocolour vs P2 multicolour can be quite tricky to play as P1, as you are down on economy on both counts, yet still need to find initiative for the P1 advantage. For that reason, wasnā€™t sure if Mox was a good choice for you in the last game, as itā€™s expensive and better on defence that attack. Not being under pressure, I could sink the $$ into Jaina.

1 Like

On second thoughts, Iā€™ll switch to mono-Purple. Would otherwise feel under too much pressure not to play Fire again !

Mono-Purple vs [Ninjustsu]/Anarchy/Disease

P1 Turn1

[details=StartingHand Workers][spoiler]
STARTING HAND
Neo Plexus
Fading Argonaut
Tinkerer
Nullcraft
Temporal Research

WORKERS
Tinkerer

[/spoiler][/details]

Forgotten Fighter
Time Spiral
Plasmodium
Hardened Mox
Battle Suits

[/spoiler][/details]

[details=Discard][spoiler]
Nullcraft
Neo Plexus
Temporal Research

[/spoiler][/details]
Tech 0 card(s)
Get Paid - ($4)
Worker - ($3)
Fading Argonaut - ($1)

Float ($1)
Discard 3, draw 5

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Fading Argonaut (2/3 + 1) [3 time runes]

• Deck: 0
  • Disc: 3
  • Workers: 5

[details=Thoughts][spoiler]

Opening split looks reasonable for a Battle Suits deck. Likely head for Present Tech II.

[/spoiler][/details]

OK, this is a completely new experiment for me - including my first time with the White starter. (I have to get my excuses in early before the inevitable crushing defeat! :smiley: )

P2T1

StartingHand Workers

STARTING HAND
Grappling Hook
Morningstar Flagbearer
Snapback
Savior Monk
Fox Primus

WORKERS
Fox Primus

NextHand

Senseiā€™s Advice
Safe Attacking
Fox Viper
Aged Sensei
Smoker

Discard

Morningstar Flagbearer
Grappling Hook
Snapback

Tech 0 card(s)
Get Paid - ($5)
Worker - ($4)
Saviour Monk - ($2)
summon Setsuki - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 3, draw 5

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]:
  • :psfist: [I]Elite[/I]: Saviour Monk (2+1/2, Healing 1)
  • lvl 1 Setsuki (1/3, costs 1 to attack)

• Deck: 0
  • Disc: 3
  • Workers: 6
Thoughts

As I said, this is very much an experiment - yet another in my line of 3-colour ā€œthis sounds fun but I donā€™t really know what Iā€™m doingā€ builds. (So far, Blood/Feral/Present looks promising although Iā€™m yet to win with it, while Future/Necromancy/Balance doesnā€™t seem to be too good, although Iā€™ve by no means given up on it yet.)

This particularly one is designed to be in large part a spell-based deck. The dream combo here is Foxā€™s Den Students + Chaos Mirror, which could be devastating if there is just one 5+ attack unit on either side of the board. (And oh look, I have Inverse Power Ninja without even having to commit to Ninjutsu at Tech 2, and CM only copies the printed attack, not the drawback. Of course, there is a small practical difficulty to having IPN out alongside FDS ninjasā€¦) With lots of other stealth options, and sneaky combat tricks in the white starter, I feel I could do something with this. I have a variety of good Tech 1 options, including lots of anti-air (which is why I feel OK workering Primus here, despite his Nullcraft) - and with the amount of spells I expect to be playing, Calypso Vystari could actually become a good card (I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever seen her played in a PBF game).

Disease doesnā€™t really fit so well with this, but Iā€™ve put it in there really to give me the option of playing a more control-based plan if I think the matchup demands it. Plus, I like spreading -1/-1 runes all over the place. And Death and Decay, despite the high price, is one of the most devastating ultimates in the game.

The nice thing here is that I donā€™t feel committed to any of the 3 specs at Tech 2 level. I can choose based on the matchup and game state (I have a vague feeling disease might be best against monopurple, but weā€™ll see).

As for this particular game and turn - I could have workered Flagbearer, but that could be useful later because purple has quite a lot of targeting effects. SM was clearly the best unit in my opening hand (Iā€™ve put him in Elite so that Fading Argonaut canā€™t kill him without also dying, in SQL he could get a clean kill with Nullcraft), and I want Setsuki as early as possible to play both the starting spells and Ninjutsu spells - and hopefully Swift Strike and card draw later! Iā€™ll probably build an early Heroesā€™ Hall to get Zane out (or Orpal if I feel heā€™ll be more useful).

1 Like

P1 Turn2

TECH
Argonaut
Stewardess of the Undone

STARTING HAND
Time Spiral
Hardened Mox
Plasmodium
Battle Suits
Forgotten Fighter

WORKERS
Tinkerer
Plasmodium

[/spoiler][/details]

Forgotten Fighter
Argonaut
Hardened Mox
Neo Plexus
Time Spiral

[/spoiler][/details]
Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid + float - ($5)
Worker - ($4)
Battle Suits - ($2)
Geiger - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 3, reshuffle, draw 5

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Fading Argonaut (3/3 + 1) [2 time runes]
  • Battle Suits
  • Geiger lvl 1 (2/3)

• Workers: 6

P2T2

TECH
Calypso Vystari
Hidden Ninja

STARTING HAND
Smoker
Safe Attacking
Senseiā€™s Advice
Fox Viper
Aged Sensei

WORKERS
Fox Primus
Fox Viper

NextHand

Snapback
Hidden Ninja
Calypso Vystari
Morningstar Flagbearer

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($6)
Worker - ($5)
Aged Sensei - ($4)
Tech 1 - ($2)
Safe Attacking

• ($1)

Float ($1)
Discard 2, reshuffle, draw 4

• :psfist: [I]Elite[/I]: Saviour Monk (2+1/2, Healing 1)
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]: Aged Sensei (1/1)
  • Safe Attacking
  • lvl 1 Setsuki (1/3, costs 1 to attack)

• Workers: 7
Thoughts

Continuing with ā€œjust doing what looks best at the timeā€. Iā€™ve not faced Battle Suits before - my Safe Attacking should allow me to counter it while Iā€™m attacking (at least with Tech 0 and Tech 1 units, but then his BS only applies to some of his units), and just seems a generally great deal for only 1 gold. And I already know that Aged Sensei is a ridiculously good unit for 1 gold, so heā€™ll probably feel obliged to kill him - I know I do when playing against the white starter.

I think Iā€™ve set up my patrol the most effective way I can - him killing AS will get me back the card I went down, and meanwhile whatever he uses to kill the SM will die itself. The worst he could do from the ā€œkilling my stuffā€ point of view is trade FA for SM, bring Nullcraft out to kill AS, then level Geiger to max to kill Setsuki. Except that will cost him 7 gold (it costs 1 for him to attack Setsuki when sheā€™s not patrolling), and heā€™s only got 6. So I think Iā€™ve set it up so whatever he does will either cost him his board or trade favourable for me.

Note that heā€™s not built Tech 1 yet, so I donā€™t have to worry about Stewardess for at least a turn.

Oh, I only just remembered - he could use Forgotten Fighter! Thatā€™s 2 gold to cast that, then Geiger can kill AS and FA kill Sets - would still leave him 4 gold to build Tech 1 and/or play more stuff. But I donā€™t see any way of patrolling to prevent that (unless I play Smoker too, but I donā€™t want to go down to just 1 card already). And it at least gets me another card in hand. Itā€™s a risk Iā€™m going to have to take.

The alternative, if Iā€™m determined to keep AS alive, is to patrol Setsuki and keep AS behind the lines. If SM is in SQL Iā€™m sure he couldnā€™t kill Sets. But since that would keep his Fading Argo alive for another turn, and AS only costs 1 gold anyway, I think I prefer the way Iā€™ve done it. (Iā€™m talking about how to patrol in some detail, because I know this is something that is very important in playing well, and an area where I could improve my game, so Iā€™d like some input from stronger players on my decisions here - not that I wouldnā€™t appreciate advice about anything else!)

As for my tech choices, Iā€™ve decided to experiment with Calypso Vystari, and have gone with another spell to help activate her. I donā€™t think I need any of my (more expensive) anti-air options yet, because other than Nullcraft he has no fliers before Tech 2. I want to tech cheap things, because Iā€™d like to go for a maxband Sets and I want some value out of those cards beyond just the quick cycling (not that that isnā€™t great by itself).

1 Like

I completely forgot to build Tech I last turn, pretty dumb !

P1 Turn3

TECH
Hyperion
Origin Story

STARTING HAND
Hardened Mox
Forgotten Fighter
Argonaut
Neo Plexus
Time Spiral

WORKERS
Tinkerer
Plasmodium
Forgotten Fighter

[/spoiler][/details]

Hardened Mox
Argonaut
Temporal Research
Nullcraft
Stewardess of the Undone

[/spoiler][/details]
Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($6)
Worker - ($5)
Geiger to midband - ($3)
Geiger kills Saviour Monk
Geiger to maxband, heals - ($1)
Geigerā€™s maxband flickers Fading Argonaut, returns with 3 fading runes
Build Tech 1 - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 4, draw 3, reshuffle, draw 2

• :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]: Fading Argonaut (3/3) [3 time runes]
  • Battle Suits
  • Geiger lvl 5 (3/4)

• Deck: 4
  • Workers: 7
1 Like

You know, if you hadnā€™t said anything, Iā€™d have continued to think skipping Tech 1 was a deliberate choice on your part :smile:

P2T3

TECH
Fuzz Cuddles
Foxā€™s Den Students

STARTING HAND
Hidden Ninja
Snapback
Morningstar Flagbearer
Calypso Vystari

WORKERS
Fox Primus
Fox Viper
Morningstar Flagbearer

NextHand

Smoker
Saviour Monk
Senseiā€™s Advice
Grappling Hook

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid + float - ($8)
Worker - ($7)
Calypso Vystari - ($6)
Setsuki to maxband - ($1)
Setsuki kills Fading Argonaut, taking no damage due to Swift Strike. You get 1 gold.

Float ($1)
Discard 2, draw 3, reshuffle, draw 1

• :psfist: [I]Elite[/I]: Calypso Vystari (2+1/2)
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]: Aged Sensei (1/1)
  • Safe Attacking
  • max Setsuki (3/4, costs 1 to attack)

• Deck: 4
  • Workers: 8
Thoughts

I pondered a few options here. One was simply midbanding Sets and using ASā€™s buff so she could kill the Fading Argonaut cleanly. But I want to max Sets anyway, and even though itā€™s possible that I could save 2 gold later by killing Geiger or another hero, thatā€™s far from guaranteed - and I wouldnā€™t be able to patrol with the AS. Since I want to keep Sets on the board and alive, the way Iā€™ve actually played seems clearly better. Note that he canā€™t cast Origin story yet, since itā€™s Geiger on the table. He could conceivably clear my patrol, with 2 of Nullcraft, Stewardess and Forgotten Fighter - but Geiger still canā€™t do enough damage to kill Setsuki. If he has all 3, or if (more likely) he has Now! to give something haste, then he could still get the kill, but weā€™ll see.

The other option was to try to go directly for Geiger, by making use of Hidden Ninja. But I wouldnā€™t have enough gold to give Sets more than 2 attack if I play HN - and I only have her and AS to attack with, so can only do 3 damage. I would be drawing a card too, but the only useful card of the 3 in my deck would be Senseiā€™s Advice, and Iā€™m not going to gamble everything on a 1/3 chance on turn 3! So Iā€™ve gone with maxing Sets and killing the Fading Argo, and weā€™ll see what he does.

Note that Iā€™m in no rush for Tech 2 here. Iā€™m going to build a Heroesā€™ Hall soon and play with Zane, and meanwhile bring in a few more Tech 1s. I note that Iā€™ve not actually made use of Safe Attacking yet, but Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll get the chance if I keep going as I am. I wasnā€™t sure which unit to tech along with FDS - I rejected a second Calypso because Iā€™m not likely to need the ability that much if I get stealthy ninjas from FDS. Inverse Power Ninja doesnā€™t seem good if Iā€™m going to be summoning 4 safe attacking ninjas at a time! And of the 2 disease options - PS is more expensive than I want, and CCā€™s ability seems a lot less good than just simple anti-air (sparkshot doesnā€™t seem hugely useful either, heā€™s not likely to have many 1HP patrollers). So Iā€™m trying Fuzz Cuddles in case I need some healing - itā€™s nice that itā€™s an upkeep ability which still allows me to attack with it if I need to.

1 Like