XCAPS 22 Ideas?

Also prefer the destroy but it’s kinda 6 one way half dozen the other, I’m down for “remove all the runes”

Imagining a version of Maximum Anarchy that says “Destroy all units and heroes, and Might of Leaf and Claw.”

(This is not a suggestion of course, haha.)

1 Like

I’m surprised not to see Rook nerfs. I always thought his early game size and the value of birds plus the threat of ridiculous earthquake plays made him just a bit over tuned.

With vandy and Garth being nerfed he stands alone as the most oppressive early game hero.

My change would be making birds nest cost go from 2 to 3 or to remove the birds if the nest leaves play.

Edit: I also think some small buff to the blue starter is in order. Maybe removing the owner draw a card bit from porkhand magistrate.

I was creating the most minimal list of changes based on what I saw as the most egregious outliers in things that are too strong. I didn’t look at weak things at all.
You can see I did consider a nerf to Bird’s Nest, because I agree that Rook is very strong early game, but it remains to be seen if it’s too much.
My goal, as stated originally, is to hopefully create a small set of changes to be adopted for all tournaments, not just experimental ones.
For now, shaving off a smidge of Black’s power, preventing gunship from being absurd, and slightly cutting Might of Leaf and Claw’s power in haste decks should hopefully achieve that aim without going overboard anywhere.

4 Likes

Ah I missed the birds discussion. Basically the same change!

I get it, and starting small is a good approach, but I still think it will take more to bring things into any semblance of balance, and at a certain point improving the worst things/least played cards is easier than nerfing everything else to that level.

The optimal balance would be all heroes being playable and seeing a great diversity in decks, but looking around it doesn’t look like much has changed in the 4 years I took off the game.

Glad someone is doing it though and I’m happy to do what I can to help. I stopped playing because it felt stale to me without a balance change, so now I’m getting interested again!

We actually did do a larger change set for xcafs 20 or 21 I believe @Penatronic, was very finesse heavy as I recall!

1 Like

A nerf I’d propose is to make Flagstone Garrison only trigger for units that arrive from hand. That [Future]/Peace/Blood deck is dominating with very stale tech choices.

1 Like

Is that really just a KotC nerf? what else does that target aside from KotC?

Flagstone Garrison already only triggers when you play units from hand. I would propose increasing the cost from 3 to 4.

1 Like

OffKilter’s suggestion is to change it from “play from hand” to “arrive from hand”, which as Frozen notes only matters to forecast units.
I do agree that it’s not the nerf I’d make to Flagstone Garrison or to [Purple]/Peace/X.

3 Likes

does KotC ever really arrive when Flagstone Garrison spam happens? They just get played to cycle the deck, the game usually is over.

If you made that change, I’d just play [Past]/Peace/Blood, which is basically the same, arguably better

Also technically it makes Jail destroy the combo

hmm, jail destroying the combo is a problem.

For what it’s worth, Sirlin said at one point in the Codex channel on Discord that a good change to Garrison might be to have the card draw only apply to Peace Tech II and III units, then give it some other advantage to go alongside that (and in the same message he also said Drill Sergeant should be adjusted at the same time, his proposal was 4g and the +1/+1 runes are immediately applied to each unit as it arrives rather than going to the Sergeant and being possible to distribute later).

1 Like

I feel like that would make it go from really good to entirely unplayable. I do think drill sergeant also needs tuning, maybe down to 2/2 stats instead of 2/3.

I’m not committed to any specific change, I just wanted to bring up what Sirlin had said on the topic, though whether it would be ‘unplayable’ depends in part on what other benefit it gains to compensate for this nerf (since he did say it would need something like that).

As for Drill Sergeant, I don’t think altering its own base stats would actually do much if you leave its ability as-is just given the nature of what its ability is; I actually really like Sirlin’s proposed changed to that one, that nerfed version is still a really good card imo (which just goes to show how strong the current Peace Engine is).

3 Likes

I’d still play a Garrison that was draw one whenever you play a blue unit from hand, and it’d instantly patch out Purple/Peace OP-ness

1 Like

I think another proposal on Discord was that Garrison draws a card when units die, rather than when they’re played. Ties more into “we have reserves”, and means you can’t play your entire deck so quickly.

Alternatively, there could be a limit on how many times it can trigger per turn.

1 Like

Can’t believe people are hating on purple peace already :frowning:
I haven’t even won a single tournament with it

3 Likes

Just to be clear I think Purple/Peace is far from the biggest problem with the overall game’s balance, and it’s cool to see ot having success with some of the other big problems having a little nerf bat tap in this tourney.

It has won several tourneys, though :wink: it is one of the strongest combos, albeit a tier below miracle grow and nightmare.

1 Like