XCAPS 22 Ideas?

I will be playing Nightmare on the proposed changes, 100% XD. @zango you want me to help you get a Tourney signup thread together? I think we have our format decided it’s just a matter of finalizing the change list (@Bryce_The_Rice why don’t you post your final proposal w/ a T-Up/Down poll on it). I personally think if you’re targeting one and only one change per spec, DP >> resist for Vandy, the resist is ability salad on her and shouldn’t be there but DP is the real problem y’all, I feel quite confident in that.

3 Likes

I might dust off my [Demon]/Anarchy/Balance, my one tournament-winning codex from way back in 2018. That would also let me test the nerf to Gunships.

3 Likes

Yes, I can do the tournament organization in terms of doing the pairing. But I do absolutely need help from proper judges as my knowledge about rules is not too firm.
Also I would prefer if one of the more respected members in this forum would make the final call what the exact rules should be.

If those two conditions are set, I’m in for the rest of the organization.

PS: I started implementing the tool for doing the pairings via the proposed penalty algorithm but I’m sooo far behind schedule, that’s going to be some pressure for me :grimacing: challenge accepted!

4 Likes

:wink: I saw them in the database. I think most of the p2 vandy black starter wins without garth came from there. But i didn’t check how you did it. I thought probably gunship played a major role.

Meta as well IIRC. Invisible flying Midori and hasty invisible zane beast moding XD

I never said my intention was to limit to one change per spec. I actually have two changes out for Necromancy already, remember?
I’m not against a nerf to Dark Pact, and it may be necessary, but I don’t want to be too harsh on Black for now.
So, that said, the list of changes as discussed:

Pirate Gunship:
Loses Obliterate 2.

Vandy Anadrose:
Loses Resist 1 at midband.

Garth Torken:
Midband 2/4 → 2/3.

Lich’s Bargain:
Base damage 4 → 6.

Might of Leaf and Claw:
If you have no units in play, destroy this.

The only one of these I would say is not consensus at the moment is the Lich’s Bargain change. One alternative I saw that I actually do like is
Horror: Loses Deathtouch.
If we went with that I would suggest the base damage go to 5, and that would probably be a big enough nerf.

1 Like

Is a normal 3/3, a 2/2, and a 1/1 Skeleton worth losing a worker and taking 5 base damage? I thought the deathtouch was on of the main reasons to play Lich’s Bargain at all.

3 Likes

I felt like the Garth change is the most controversial one, Lich’s Bargain I think is fine as is. Loosing Deathtouch is a huge nerf to LB I think, idk that it’s worth playing as much without that. I like the 6hp base damage hit better as an “adjustment” nerf

Deathtouch is the main reason to play it. The fact that sometimes the horror lives to attack again is just bonus. That said, the other big reason to play it is simply as an excellent lead in to Tech 2 on turn 3/4 for 2g. Even if your opponent can clear the 3 new units, Garth/tech 2 almost always sticks and can maxband to fetch a tech 2 right away.

The counterplay to lich’s bargain is limited to apply overwhelming immediate response to punish the base damage, or put up enough stalling that the lost worker matters. Deathtouch makes the stalling option particularly hard.

2 Likes

At the risk of making the card too complicated, I’d like to amend my previous suggestion. The clause to destroy it should not apply until it is active.

Whenever you deal combat damage with an attacker, put a growth rune on this.
While this has at least five growth runes, your units and heroes get +5/+5.
If this has 5 or more growth runes and you have no units in play, destroy this.

1 Like

Wouldn’t that result in similar situations to what we have currently? You just go to 4 runes instead of 5 on your all-out attack that wipes your own board.

1 Like

It is possible to lock someone out of attackers long enough to get the win against Molac, even hasty molac. That is simply even more true for this nerfed version. The change to only affect it once its active is to ensure slow Molac isn’t more nerfed than hasty.

But maybe I am overthinking this.

Nah bro, it’s way too easy to shoot your opponent and then leave buffed chumps. I don’t think that would be a meaningful change.

1 Like

I agree with @Bryce_The_Rice on the MoLaC. @zhavier is that fine for you?

Anybody else with some last minute change requests? Otherwise this will be the list to be logged in for XCAPS22:

2 Likes

How about this as a compromise:
If you have no units in play, remove all runes from this.

2 Likes

I think that’s reasonable, definitely in the spirit of conservative changes

3 Likes

So I’ll put this summary of conservative changes up to final discussion. If you do not agree to these, please object ASAP, as consensus about the rules before the tournament starts is imperative in my eyes.

Pirate Gunship:
Loses Obliterate 2.

Vandy Anadrose:
Loses Resist 1 at midband.

Garth Torken:
Midband 2/4 → 2/3.

Lich’s Bargain:
Base damage 4 → 6.

Might of Leaf and Claw:
If you have no units in play, remove all runes from this.

(tbh: I for myself would prefer the destroy clause instead of the rune removal one, but I can live with this variant as well)

1 Like

Personally I prefer destroy but I suppose rune removal is basically just as bad

It keeps upgrade removal relevant, I suppose.

2 Likes

I approve.