[XCAFS23] Round3 part1: P1 thehug0naut [Feral]/Present/Discipline vs P2 zango [Finesse]/Feral/Present

@dreamfire / @FrozenStorm / @charnel_mouse :
Any of you willing to make a ruling on this one? Should I post it on the rules questions thread?

My first thought is that this has the same ambiguity issue as Ferocity. Itā€™s not clear if itā€™s immediately affecting the units currently applicable to it, or more abstractly applying to the turn / particular step in the turn (in this case, the readying step).

My personal feeling is the ambiguous wording reads as an intent to affect all units (not just the ones it would seem to apply to, otherwise it would say something like ā€œthe units you have as you cast thisā€ instead of ā€œyour unitsā€ or ā€œopposing unitsā€)

Weā€™ve ruled on Ferocity in the past that it is only the units you have as you cast it. Iā€™m generally inclined to think the same applies here.

This post by Armed Pirate is the only thing that gives me pause. Thereā€™s no ā€œgetā€ here as in Ferocity. It talks specifically about ā€œduring their next upkeepā€. Nothing about now, as I cast this. Still itā€™s ambiguous, so we have to interpret, ā€œopposing units that are exhaustedā€ WHEN? The ones exhausted right now, as I cast Ready or Not? Or the ones exhausted as you do the check during next upkeep?

I want to hear from @Dreamfire and @charnel_mouse here as well. It makes a big difference to the game at hand and we really havenā€™t discussed it in the rules thread (Iā€™m going to post a link to this there now)

3 Likes

Iā€™m inclined to think the intended effect should be "all units donā€™t ready during the next upkeep. But either way - for the current game it doesnā€™t make a difference, so Iā€™m going to post a turn assuming both Immortals do not ready during my upkeep.
But Iā€™m really curious how this will be ruled!

PS: thank you for providing me with this possible line for future situations in this tournament. TD Immortal into Elephant with now! was something which hasnā€™t been on my radar before this awesome turn of yours :wink:

XCAFS23 round 3 part 1 P2T8

P1 [Finesse]/Feral/Present vs. P2 [Feral]/Present/Discipline

Link to all relevant rule changes

StartingHand Workers

STARTING HAND
Timely Messenger (1/1)
Wither
Older Brother (2/2)
Bloom
Granfalloon Flagbearer (2/2)
Temporal Distortion
Feral Strike

WORKERS
Fruit Ninja (2/2)
Granfalloon Flagbearer (2/2)
Bloom
Spark
Older Brother (2/2)
Wither
Tenderfoot (1/2)

NextHand

Behind the Ferns
Research & Development
Timely Messenger (1/1)
Brick Thief (2/1)
Feral Strike

Discard

Feral Strike
Helpful Turtle (1/2)
Temporal Distortion
Temporal Distortion
Research & Development

Tech 0 card(s)
Get Paid + scavenger - ($13)
Hyperion attacks Geiger, takes 3, I draw
Hyperion from hand kills Geiger, takes 3, I draw - ($8)
boosted feral strike, search & bring to play: tric & giga - ($0)
tric pings tower once & kills elephant
old tric breaks tower, takes 1, base to 18
cal breaks tech 2, base to 16

Float ($0)
Discard 4, draw 5

Board Info:
In Patrol:

• :psblueshield: Squad Leader: Gigadon (8/8)
  • :psfist: Elite:
  • :ps_: Scavenger: Tricycloid (3/3)
  • :pschip: Technician:
  • :target: Lookout:

In Play:

• Cal (4/5, lvl5)
  • Tricycloid (3/2)
  • Hyperion (4/2)
  • Immortal (5/5)
  • Immortal (5/5)
  • Hyperion (4/2)

Buildings:

• :heart: Base HP: 20

Economy Info:
Cards:

• Hand: 5
  • Deck: 0
  • Disc: 5

Gold:

• Gold: 0
  • Workers: 12
Thoughts

okay it takes one turn longer than expected, but itā€™s still game, even if I donā€™t draw value from my two Hyperions

I think Iā€™m content to resign after that turn, another Feral Strike definitely takes it!

GG and WP @zango it was a really enjoyable tense game and Iā€™m glad my line gave you some ideas for the future! :grin: I just never quite had enough gold or weapons to hit you hard enough to make it count

2 Likes

GG!
That TD Hyperion into tric instead of tric into tric in t6 probably sealed the deal, but as stated when I was under the wrong impression to directly have won: this gold advantage really is a biggie in this almost mirror match. Iā€™m really looking forward to playing with reversed roles as thatā€™s been a fun one! :+1:

1 Like

Ahh I missed that line entirely, a good learning point for me :+1: