[Tournament] Experimental Codex Asynchronous Spring Swiss 2022 (XCAPS22)

I did give some strong thought to daymare, its very fun. But im the defacto miracle grow player, so might as well give it a spin.

1 Like

Sorry but with me being a non native speaker, I’m not sure whether you’re referring to giving daymare a spin or sticking to miracle growth…?

I think it would be preferable to actually have a miracle growth on board, otherwise we don’t have MoLaCs in the mix

I can understand I was unclear, I will stick with Miracle Grow.

2 Likes

So let the games begin! :sunglasses:

Round 1:

1. [XCAPS22] Round1: P1 charnel_mouse [Necromancy]/Anarchy/Blood :knockdown: vs :medal_sports: P2 zango [Finesse]/Ninjutsu/Feral
  2. [XCAPS22] Round1: P1 FrozenStorm [Demonology/Necromancy]/Finesse :medal_sports: vs :knockdown: P2 Dreamfire [Demonology]/Anarchy/Balance
  3. [XCAPS22] Round1: P1 Moby_Dick [Finesse]/Ninjutsu/Discipline :medal_sports: vs :knockdown: P2 zhavier [Anarchy]/Strength/Growth
  4. [XCAPS22] Round1: P1 dwarddd MonoPurple :medal_sports: vs :knockdown: P2 OffKilter [Future]/Ninjutsu/Blood
  5. [XCAPS22] Round1: P1 Bomber678 [Future]/Peace/Blood :medal_sports: vs :knockdown: P2 flagrantangles MonoBlue

Please be so kind to any spectator that is browsing trough the games at a later time to copy-paste the rule changes at the beginning of each thread.

As the tracker sheet is kind of sensitive (a single klick on the wrong button can generate headaches for me), I’ll add two different links to the tracker sheet in the opening post. One will give you read only access to the master sheet where I let the tool do the pairings. The other one will create a copy of the sheet with the current state. If you want to play around a bit you could then predict results and have a look at what the likely next pairings are. I tried to include some explanations about how things work. Please don’t hesitate to contact me in case you have questions, remarks or suggestions for improvements.

3 Likes

Good news, we have a late arrival: @flagrantangles with mono blue, I’ll add the link to the match shortly. @Bryce_The_Rice will be P1 in the match.

4 Likes

And here comes round 2:

1. [XCAPS22] Round2: P1 zango [Finesse]/Ninjutsu/Feral :knockdown: vs :medal_sports: P2 FrozenStorm [Demonology/Necromancy]/Finesse
  2. [XCAPS22] Round2: P1 zhavier [Anarchy]/Strength/Growth :knockdown: vs :medal_sports: P2 Bomber678 [Future]/Peace/Blood
  3. [XCAPS22] Round2: P1 dwarddd MonoPurple :knockdown: vs :medal_sports: P2 Moby_Dick [Finesse]/Ninjutsu/Discipline
  4. [XCAPS22] Round2: P1 Dreamfire [Demonology]/Anarchy/Balance :knockdown: vs :medal_sports: P2 charnel_mouse [Necromancy]/Anarchy/Blood
  5. [XCAPS22] Round2: P1 OffKilter [Future]/Ninjutsu/Blood :knockdown: vs :medal_sports: P2 flagrantangles MonoBlue

Please remember to post the rule changes at the beginning of the threads.

4 Likes

Wow, 4 out of 5 games are over and ALL of these have been won by P2…

5 out of 5 now.

What a crazy P2 round… Let’s get round three started!
I never would have expected to see these two players in the first elimination game at 5.! Enjoy your games, everyone.

1. [XCAPS22] Round3: P1 FrozenStorm [Demonology/Necromancy]/Finesse :knockdown: vs :medal_sports: P2 Bomber678 [Future]/Peace/Blood
  2. [XCAPS22] Round3: P1 charnel_mouse [Necromancy]/Anarchy/Blood :knockdown: vs :medal_sports: P2 Moby_Dick [Finesse]/Ninjutsu/Discipline
  3. [XCAPS22] Round3: P1 flagrantangles MonoBlue :knockdown: vs :medal_sports: P2 dwarddd MonoPurple
  4. [XCAPS22] Round3: P1 OffKilter [Future]/Ninjutsu/Blood :knockdown: :skull_and_crossbones: vs :medal_sports: P2 zango [Finesse]/Ninjutsu/Feral
  5. [XCAPS22] Round3: P1 zhavier [Anarchy]/Strength/Growth :knockdown: :skull_and_crossbones: vs :medal_sports: P2 Dreamfire [Demonology]/Anarchy/Balance
2 Likes

If I can make a request, for future rounds could you sort the matches by the players’ losses? Usually we have leaders at the top and eliminations at the bottom, it helps to see how the players are doing.

1 Like

Sure thing. The algorithm creates the order by taking the order in which I wrote the players down into account. Reordering these is not a big thing.
Already changed it above.

2 Likes

@flagrantangles : please be so kind to start your match soon so that the other players don’t have to wait too long for the next round to start. Thanks a lot in advance!

@flagrantangles I hope everything is fine on your side? Are you still participating? If so, please start your game for round three. If not, it would be nice if you could let us know.

Flagrant was having problems getting the forum to work a few weeks ago, might be happening again.

2 Likes

I apologize for the delay! I’ve started the game!

1 Like

@charnel_mouse now it’s up to you to stop round 3 from being another crazy P2 wins only round :wink:

1 Like

Another weird round with only P2 wins came to an end. In case you missed spectating @charnel_mouse against @moby_dick, I recommend the read.
We have some surprises at this stage: first we have to say an early goodbye to the serial champion @zhavier as well as @offkilter, gg. Also the match of the last two undefeated players in the field reads @Bryce_The_Rice against @moby_dick. TBH I would have expected to read names like zhavier, frozenstorm or dreamfire in this context. But congrats to the two of you, well deserved! It probably is no coincidence to read your names as well here as in the list of players that zhavier has lost against.

Now here comes round 4:

1. [XCAPS22] Round4: P1 Bomber678 [Future]/Peace/Blood :knockdown: vs :medal_sports: P2 Moby_Dick [Finesse]/Ninjutsu/Discipline
  2. [XCAPS22] Round4: P1 zango [Finesse]/Ninjutsu/Feral :medal_sports: vs :knockdown: P2 dwarddd MonoPurple
  3. [XCAPS22] Round4: P1 charnel_mouse [Necromancy]/Anarchy/Blood :knockdown: :skull_and_crossbones: vs :medal_sports: P2 FrozenStorm [Demonology/Necromancy]/Finesse
  4. [XCAPS22] Round4: P1 Dreamfire [Demonology]/Anarchy/Balance :medal_sports: vs :knockdown: :skull_and_crossbones: P2 flagrantangles MonoBlue

So far I’m very happy with the penalty algorithm. It really is easy to use and I’m 100% sure it easily can be used by anyone, I am not needed in order to use it. The whole process of making the pairings so far never took more than 5 minutes per round. Obviously we haven’t chartered the really complicated scenarios yet, where there will be questions like “should this and that be avoided more forcefully than this other thing”, but I’m sure we’ll manage that easily. Please let me know if you do get a feeling like described above about a pairing.
A first hand example: This round there only were 16 possible pairing tables allowed by the algorithm (essentially only two different pairings, the first is listed above, the second principal set read moby-bomber, frozen-dwarddd, dreamfire-zango, charnel-flagrant and both sets each had three matches where both variants with P1/P2 were feasible). Hence, it was an equal split for me to either face Dwarddd or to be “paired down” against Dreamfire, but as I already was paired down last round this felt wrong, even though I doubt that Dreamfire’s position at the end of the field is appropriate. The algorithm is not keeping track how many times which player was paired up or paired down, so the algorithm did nothing wrong but this outcome feels wrong for me. For the next tournament the algorithm will be able to take that into account as well.

edit: darn! I just realized there was no fairness possible. It was either me being paired down twice in a row or @charnel_mouse being paired up twice in a row… sorry mate!

Now I wish all of you fun with your upcoming games!

PS: please remember to copy paste the rule changes at the beginning of each thread

3 Likes

Along with zango, I’d be interested on anyone’s post-tournament thoughts on the matchings. His matching algorithm seems to be a lot more useable than mine for XCAPS21 was.

2 Likes

Dear all, I did some simulations about possible outcomes for this round and what the penalty algorithm provides for the next round. It can easily happen that after this round we have one player with 0 losses, two players with 1 loss and four players with 2 losses left, which is an odd number of players left and therefore a bye would be required. In some cases the algorithm then would provide the tournament leader with the bye. This is due to me having created a penalty for "is the next player with a bye within the group of ‘most losses & least byes so far’ " but this penalty does not always outweight the swiss penalties etc. that the overall matching would generate if someone else got the bye.
What is your feeling about fairness in this context? Should I try to fix the penalty-weights such that this does not happen as it feels unfair if the tournament leader gets the first bye?
My feeling for fairness leans towards neglecting a tournament leader a bye before everyone else already had one.