[Tournament] Codex Asynchronous Winter Swiss 2022 (CAWS22)

My preference as well would be not to ban the single deck but instead refine the rework list to better squash the dominant deck or buff potential rivals. But let’s cross that bridge when we get to it :slight_smile:

1 Like

You already put your foot on that bridge, let’s see how fast you can run on it… :wink:

How we doin on the next round here fam?

I’m being slow, stressful few turns.

1 Like

well, that escalated quickly :sweat_smile:

we’re up for round 2:

1. CAWS22 Round2: P1 FrozenStorm Burning Legion [Fire]/Demonology/Peace :medal_sports: vs :knockdown: P2 dwarddd mono purple
  2. CAWS22 Round2: P1 flagrantangles mono blue :knockdown: vs :medal_sports: P2 Moby_Dick Burning Legion [Fire]/Demonology/Peace
  3. CAWS22 Round2: P1 Bryce_The_Rice mono red :knockdown: vs :medal_sports: P2 Dreamfire [Present]/Demonology/Discipline
  4. CAWS22 Round2: P1 charnel_mouse [Disease]/Discipline/Law :medal_sports: vs :knockdown: P2 thehug0naut [Balance]/Blood/Demonology
2 Likes

Here comes round 3, it will cover the first blood on burning legion, due to the mirror, so we’ll have to wait further for it to lose a “normal” game.

Enjoy your games!

1. CAWS22 Round3: P1 Moby_Dick Burning Legion [Fire]/Demonology/Peace :medal_sports: vs :knockdown: P2 FrozenStorm Burning Legion [Fire]/Demonology/Peace
  2. CAWS22 Round3: P1 Dreamfire [Present]/Demonology/Discipline :medal_sports: vs :knockdown: P2 dwarddd mono purple
  3. CAWS22 Round3: P1 flagrantangles mono blue :knockdown: vs :medal_sports: P2 charnel_mouse [Disease]/Discipline/Law
  4. CAWS22 Round3: P1 Bryce_The_Rice mono red :knockdown: :skull_and_crossbones: vs :medal_sports: P2 thehug0naut [Balance]/Blood/Demonology

@thehug0naut and @Bryce_The_Rice are on elimination

5 Likes

Farewell to @Bryce_The_Rice .

It’s impressive to see the power level of the mirror match. I’m crossing my fingers for @Dreamfire & @charnel_mouse to bring the first non-mirror-loss to Burning Legion!

Round 4

1. CAWS22 Round4: P1 Dreamfire [Present]/Demonology/Discipline :knockdown: vs :medal_sports: P2 Moby_Dick Burning Legion [Fire]/Demonology/Peace
  2. CAWS22 Round4: P1 charnel_mouse [Disease]/Discipline/Law :knockdown: vs :medal_sports: P2 FrozenStorm Burning Legion [Fire]/Demonology/Peace
  3. CAWS22 Round4: P1 dwarddd mono purple :medal_sports: vs :knockdown: :skull_and_crossbones: P2 flagrantangles mono blue

@thehug0naut gets the bye.

@dwarddd @flagrantangles and @thehug0naut are on elimination

I want a good clean fight, let’s get it on!

3 Likes

And here we are again, goodbye to @flagrantangles . @Moby_Dick still is undefeated with @FrozenStorm having one loss, everybode else is on elimination.

Round 5

1. CAWS22 Round5: P1 FrozenStorm Burning Legion [Fire]/Demonology/Peace :knockdown: vs :medal_sports: P2 Moby_Dick Burning Legion [Fire]/Demonology/Peace
  2. CAWS22 Round5: P1 thehug0naut [Balance]/Blood/Demonology :knockdown: :skull_and_crossbones: vs :medal_sports: P2 Dreamfire [Present]/Demonology/Discipline
  3. CAWS22 Round5: P1 charnel_mouse [Disease]/Discipline/Law :knockdown: :skull_and_crossbones: vs :medal_sports: P2 dwarddd mono purple
2 Likes

We say goodbye to @thehug0naut and @charnel_mouse we’re down to four players left with everyone but @Moby_Dick being on elimination.

Round 6 reads:

1. CAWS22 Round6: P1 Moby_Dick Burning Legion [Fire]/Demonology/Peace vs P2 dwarddd mono purple
  2. CAWS22 Round6: P1 FrozenStorm Burning Legion [Fire]/Demonology/Peace :knockdown: :skull_and_crossbones: vs :medal_sports: P2 Dreamfire [Present]/Demonology/Discipline

I’d like to add some respect for @thehug0naut and @Dreamfire for taking their time to stay active in this community while being in such a crucial phase!

5 Likes

@zango out of pure interest (and to check i understand the pairing algorithm correctly) the list of pairings which are identical to these ones, but with P1 and P2 switched with me and Moby_Dick, would get the same penalty score? So it was chosen randomly between the two (and any others with the same score)?

Idm, only reason i even thought about it was the double take i did before realising it was FrozenStorm I’d played against Burning Legion with last time, lol!

Hi dwarddd, I’m more than happy to elaborate on the penalty algorithm. Yes, both pairings got the same score. Both of you had played two times as P1 and three times as P2, so either way one of you would activate the “unbalanced P1/P2 penalty” but the algorithm doesn’t care whether it’s you or moby who activates it. The match frozen vs dreamfire is set from the algorithm on the other hand, as it’s a rematch and it is more or less decided fromt the first match between the two who will get to be P1/P2.
For more details and explanations see (I’ve also included some debugging routines that list for any specific match what exact penalties are activated by it - let me know if you want some further explanations on it, but I suggest we should move this then to a different thread or a PM)

edit: and obviously yes, if two or more pairings receive the same score, a random number assigned to each pairing decides which pairing is chosen

Thank you for the detailed answer and link to that! (like i said i was genuinely curious, especially after the teaser for such a link in the tourney post at the top ;))
I didnt mean to doubt the result, only to check my understanding (and to light-heartedly mope about ending up p2 against each of the Burning Legions present XD)

2 Likes

If you want you can be p1, I don’t care. Burning Legion is stronger as p1 but it performs very well as p2. And as far as I know, without being an expert, is mono purple weaker as p1. So I am not sure if it really is a good trade for you. But I am curious where the limits of burning legion are.

We just have to somehow count it differently. Me being P2 would probably automatically give me P1 against frozen or dreamfire which makes it unfair. @charnel_mouse and @zango to figure out a solution.

Yeah, well, I edited the opening post too often, I’m not allowed to do so anymore, which is why I didn’t include the missing specs and the missing link to the spreadsheet… :person_shrugging:

About the order of players: I honestly don’t care whether you agree upon switching sides or not. But Moby is right. Doing a switching officially has an influence on P1/P2 sides for follow up matches, which I would prefer to not mingle with.

I suggest if you choose to do a match with P1/P2 switched and to let it count for the tournament round 6, I’m fine with that. But I would prefer a switching to be an unofficial one! For the follow up matches I will count Moby’s P1/P2 stats as 3/3 while I will count Dwarddd’s as 2/4. If you want to swap on that premise, please go ahead :+1:

The matchup is still fine with me as is! I do agree: I’m not even sure whether it’s better for purple to be P1 against red, and even if so I am perfectly happy anyway - I would never tamper with the fate the randomiser has given on such a whim :wink:
please go ahead and start the game when you’re ready

Ahh i see Zango, i didn’t even know an edit limit existed but that’s a pain :\ thanks for sending through the link :+1:

1 Like

so it finally did happen! After 16 undefeated matches of this deck, @Dreamfire was able to score the fist victory against Burning Legion - congratulations! Your place in this final is well deserved!
Good bye to @FrozenStorm and @dwarddd

Round 7 - FINALS:

1. CAWS22 Round7 FINALS: P1 Moby_Dick Burning Legion [Fire]/Demonology/Peace vs P2 Dreamfire [Present]/Demonology/Discipline

@Moby_Dick still is undefeated, while @Dreamfire got his second loss already in round 4 from his first match against moby.

4 Likes

wow, that one was aiming for a speed record. Awesome game of @Dreamfire with being in constant heavy agression. In the end it wasn’t enough against this monster of a deck.
Congratulations to @Moby_Dick for winning the tournament without a single loss!

tmp

2 Likes

Thanks for hosting @zango

Was an interesting tournament! I think now it is time to nerf burning legion, although Dreamfire played very well against it and has shown how to beat it.

2 Likes

Do you have specific suggestions for nerfs?

I voiced my opinion on this here