Rules Questions thread

The rules text for Frenzy is wrong (it says “+1 ATK while attacking”, whereas it’s actually “+1 ATK on your turn”)

2 Likes

Whitestar Grappler and Dark Pact have grammatical errors which do not effect functionality.

Versatile Style has the error that no hero can have flying at the time it can be played, so it cannot actually do all of the options listed on the text.

Fox’s Den Students has inconstitant terminology error…

And there are about a dozen other cards which could use wording tweaks to better clarify design intent.

Versatile Style’s wording is allegedly as intended. It’s keeping the doors open for potential expansions.

Couldn’t Versatile Style target one’s own Midori?

Technically you could, but under what circumstances would paying 2 gold and a card to disable your own hero be better than either using one of its other options or not playing it?

Sure, it’s not a good option, but not technically impossible, as suggested.

I guess one absurdly niche reason it could matter is if a Purple player attaches Vortoss Emblem to your Midori to prevent you from disabling their Void Star. Still, the text is only there because Midori used to get flying on everyone’s turn, and they decided to keep it there in case of expansions.

Edit: never mind, it can only be attached to units.

I guess you could disable Midori in order to get your wondering mimics on the ground again.

Nah, Midori would still have Flying, he’d just also be disabled.

Wandering mimics are crafty

3 Likes

When the Purple Player uses Vortoss Emblem on the Green Players unit, who is the opposing player for the purposes of flagbearer?

1. The Green unit is a flagbearer, so the opponent is the purple player for purposes of targeting flagbearers.
  2. The Vortoss Emblem controls the flagbearer status, so the green player is the opponent for the purposes of targeting flagbearers.
  1. is correct. Even though VE is attached to an enemy unit, VE is still controlled by the player who cast it, so their opponent (i.e. the Green player) is the one effected.

ETA: Actually, after thinking about this, I’m not sure I’m right. Wait for someone who understands the game better than me!

1 Like

I’m glad you see my problem.

1 Like

The Purple player controls the Vortoss emblem, which has the ability:
“your opponents must :target: a flagbearer if able”

So, any time the Green player goes to :target: something, they have to chose a flagbearer, if able.

Conveniently, the thing Vortoss emblem is attached to happens to be a flagbearer; but any flagbearer, regardless of controller, would be legal to :target:.

3 Likes

I see the argument. Basically, flagbearer is just a unit type. The rules actually dictating that you must target flagbearers is actually on the flagbearer cards, in this case a purple card, so the opponent is the green player.

The preview article for the Past spec Codex: Past spec — Sirlin.Net — Game Design makes it clear that Sirlin intended the green player to be “the opponent” in this case. He gives the following example uses of Vortoss Emblem: “The point of it is that it basically “pre-counters” anything that would target your stuff. For example, afraid of an opposing purple player’s Undo? Attach Vortoss Emblem to THEIR best unit and now that’s the only thing they can Undo for 3 turns (which might as well be forever). Afraid of the Necromancy hero’s Doom Grasp that might kill your hero? Vortoss Emblem helps you there too.”

Although, from just reading the text, I would argue the other way (on the grounds that VE says that “that unit is a flagbearer”, and that unit in your example belongs to green). Looks like another case where the card wasn’t worded carefully enough.

I think the card wording works, once I had the understanding that flagbearer is just a unit type and does not have any inherent rules regarding targeting. It is not like Illusion, that has reminder rules text associated with that unit type. There happens to be an ability on every card that has the unit type flagbearer that makes the unit type relevant. In Vortoss Emblem’s case, the unit that gains the unit type flagbearer is different from the location of the rules text, which is why case #2 is how it works.

I guess that makes some sense, but it seems very “rules-lawyerish” to me. I’m not arguing that you’re wrong about the interpretation - I’m in fact sure that you’re right. But I just don’t see any reason why it should be the case that the text on illusions is just a clarification of a “global” rule, while that on flagbearers is a rule-alteration for just that particular card. It still strikes me as a poorly thought-out.

1 Like

Illusions reminder text is always italicized, while actual abilities on cards are always written normal font, to help make the distinction.

2 Likes

What are the grammatical errors on Whitestar Grappler and Dark Pact? I’ve read over both cards about ten times and still don’t see anything wrong.

My pet peeve is the capitalized H on haste on Omegacron. Bugs me more than it should.