Rules Questions thread

Well Dark Pact deals damage to a base, then has “that player” draw 2 cards, even though no player was referenced in the previous sentence.

2 Likes

I would guess with Whitestar Grappler, @rabid_schnauzer is refering to the pronouns in the third sentence. Technically, ‘it’ refers to the last mentioned noun, which here would be Whitestar Grappler. However, the intention is that the unit damaged in the first part of the effect is sidelined.

Another RACE question

If I kidnap a Gorgon, then I’m the one who draws a card if it dies for the same reason that suiciding a Rambasa Twin that I’ve kidnapped into the other Twin returns them both to their owner’s codex in the previous question, right?

2 Likes

Yes, that’s right.

1 Like

Oppomemt has a full patrol zone of Flying unit and Midori could get lethal damage on the base if he was not flying. Disable his flying, win the game.

It doesn’t “disable flying” it “disables a thing with flying”.
You want to break Midori’s legs to make him win the game? Not happening.

4 Likes

Choose one of the following:

• Destroy an upgrade.
  • Disable a unit or hero with flying.
  • Repair 2 damage from a building.
  • Your Discipline hero is a detector this turn.

It doesn’t remove flying like Crypt Crawler does. It disables the unit or hero entirely.

2 Likes

Would Crypt Crawler affect a flying base? (Lawbringer Griffin style).

It doesn’t say “flying unit” or “flying unit or hero” so I’m gonna throw my proverbial hat in the ring for: yes? (also uh oh)

4 Likes

yes, it does

2 Likes

I had an odd case come up the other day. I think I ruled it wrongly in the moment, wanted to confirm.

Purple vs. Blue

I have a Jail with my opponent’s Seer in it. He Assimilates the Jail. When I play a unit, the Seer arrives. As the active player, I ruled that I was allowed to target the Seer’s ability where I wanted, which was to remove Prynn’s last time rune, killing her.

But since the Seer’s ability is optional, I’m not sure I’m allowed to do that? That is, does the ‘you’ in Seer’s text refer to the controller of the card as usual, and not the active player? Does the Seer ability fizzle, or do I get to use it because it doesn’t involve any hidden information?

1 Like

Cards that require a non-active player to make a choice do nothing instead.

2 Likes

Right, that’s what I’m trying to clarify. Does ‘You may…’ refer always to the controller, which in this case means not the active player?

1 Like

Yes. “May” or :target: always indicates a choice, and all effects are controller unless they specify “active player” or “owner”

2 Likes

Okay, so I understand that the official ruling for obliterate states that indestructible units get passed over, but is that only when there are other units that can be discarded in play, or are indestructible units forever immune to obliterate? Because while I don’t really agree with it, I can kind of make peace with the idea that obliterate skips indestructible units if I force myself to think that the word “destroy” on obliterate means that each card HAS to go to the discard pile in order to count (instead of just triggering the “if this would die” rule for indestructible units, which truthfully seems more logical to me), and therefore the “do as much as you can” rule takes place, causing indestructible units to be unaffected. However, in cases where there are insufficient “destructible” units in play to satisfy “obliterate X”, does obliterate then move on to the indestructible units? To me it seems like it ought to, given the “do as much as you can” rule. Indestructible units ought to just be prioritised last, but still get exhausted and have their damage and attachments removed when they are prioritised.

Is this how it works? Something tells me that the official ruling does consider indestructible units to be immune to obliterate and other similar effects forever, but it seems counter-intuitive to me so I hope I’m wrong.

By the way, the official ruling regarding this on http://codexcarddb.com/ talks about “weakest” units, when the help text for obliterate says nothing about weakest units, and instead uses the term “lowest tech” units. I would take lowest tech to mean you could choose any unit of the opponent’s lowest tech, regardless of their attack. Was the word weakest there an error?

2 Likes

indestructibles are “immune” to obliterate, period. if a unit has obliterate 4 and u have only mox and heroes on the field, nothing gets obliterated.
this is really a fair rules, otherwise hardened mox would perpetually waste one of the obliterate

1 Like

I consider it errata to the printed Oblitterate description, which hasn’t been added to the Oblitterate entry on codexcarddb.com? @sharpobject

If there are any units that are indestructible or that can’t leave play, ignore them when looking for the weakest unit. If such a thing would be their “weakest unit” then instead destroy their next weakest. — sharpo

2 Likes

Edit: cant delete post on cellphone.

ok I fixed this on the spreadsheet to not say “Weakest”

3 Likes