Rules Questions thread

This should be similar to Reteller instead of Twin

and the reply, which I second

1 Like

Great, that’s what I thought. It creates an odd situation where the opponent can kill both Twins on the same turn, and put them both in the Graveyard, so they don’t bring each other back when played.

If I cast a Maximum Anarchy while my opponent has invisible units that I cannot see: do they get destroyed as “destroy all units” probably does not require the player to see the unit(s)?

Yep. Invisibility only matters to attacking and targeting.

2 Likes

How do Tower damage and Armor Piercing interact?

Say a 3/3 defending unit has both a Tower and the benefits of Ferocity and is attacked by a 3/4+1A with Swift Strike. Do both die or only the defender?

As far as I know, Tower damage is not unit damage, and therefore does not have armour piercing.

1 Like

Indeed: Ferocity affects units, not buildings, and Towers don’t get the abilities of the defender. The defender can bypass the armour, but the Tower can’t, so the Tower just pings the armour, leaving the attacker on 1 health.

4 Likes

So the armour is ignored “for the damage” with armour piercing not “for the combat”. I wasn’t sure because of how Tower kind of gets Swift Strike when defenders have it.

The first sentence is spot on, the second is not true. Tower deals damage at the same time normal combat damage is dealt, independent on whether the defender deals his damage swiftly or not.

A Tower deals damage at the same time as the attacker, not at the same time normal combat damage is dealt. So, for example, if I have 3 visible 1/1 Skeleton tokens and Ferocity active, and my opponent has a 3/3 Plague Spitter in SQL backed by a maxband Orpal and Tower, I can attack with all 3 Skeletons and kill the Spitter without triggering Orpal’s maxband because the Tower would kill the Skeletons before the Spitter had a chance to put any -1/-1 runes on them.

But, this doesn’t mean the Tower gets the swift strike ability. Dealing damage at the same time as the attacker is just its normal behavior.

6 Likes

(Emphasis added)

This is the timing subtlety I needed to understand, Thanks!

However I now have a follow-up question. In your example if the skeletons don’t have swift strike but do have armour, say from Safe Attacking, will Orpal’s Maxband trigger?

The skeletons definitely die from combat of course, but if the Tower damage is simultaneous with Spiitter damage, how do we resolve which damage goes on armour and which damage goes on HP? Is it just active player decides?

Yes, it’s active player decides, but in this particular example, Orpal’s maxband would trigger regardless of the active player’s choice, because the Plague Spitter has 3 attack and Safe Attacking only provides 1 point of armor, so even if I chose to assign one of the Plague Spitter’s damage to the armor, the other 2 points of damage would apply -1/-1 runes. If the armor quantity equaled Plague Spitter’s attack, however, my choice of how to assign damage would determine whether or not Orpal’s maxband triggered.

3 Likes

Ahh yes, of course. I did actually know that Spitter has 3 attack but somehow overlooked it when asking. At this point I think getting some obvious fact wrong in codex hypotheticals is kind of my superpower :smile:

1 Like

What happens if a Rampaging Elephant attacks a Guardian of the Gates?

Rampaging Elephant exhausts to attack, its ability readies it, and the Guardian of the gates deals damage during combat, its ability exhausts the Elephant and prevents it from readying during its next ready step. If something else readies the Elephant, it can attack or patrol in the same turn, and if it doesn’t exhaust before its next ready step, the “doesn’t ready” aspect of disable has no effect.

If you were hoping that the Guardian would disable the Elephant and then the Elephant’s ability would ready it, then I’m afraid that won’t work because the Elephant’s initial exhaustion is caused as soon as the attack is declared, and the Guardian’s ability isn’t triggered until it deals damage, which is one of the steps involved in resolving the combat (and normally not even the first of them). The Elephant’s ability will resolve before the Guardian’s ability even triggers, but even if that weren’t the case, it would still go into the queue first, so the result would be the same.

2 Likes

In this game a mirror copying a Pirate Gang Commander is trashed. I was expecting that trashing the mirror would trigger the “dies:” effect. Am I wrong about that one?

1 Like

I’d say it’s the same as trashing something with Prynn’s maxband, which AIUI sidesteps giving patrol bonuses or triggering Bugblatter et al.

2 Likes

If I Kidnap/Mind Control the opponent’s insurance agent, and then the insured unit dies while i control the agent, do I get the gold + draw?

I’m thinking yes, but want to make sure something about the trigger being set up when the agent arrives doesn’t mean it goes to the owner

And a different question that i also can’t find an answer on, can i be forced to pay gold if the only target of an obligatory effect has resist?
In this case, I have gold in my gold pile, Zane maxbands (due to him killing a hero, but i think that’s irrelevant i could imagine a scenario where you want to maxband him manually with gold still in your pile), the only patroller the opponent has is in lookout. Normally Zane’s maxband is not optional :man_shrugging:

Yes, you must target something if able. If you don’t want to, spend your gold first!

3 Likes