Rules Questions thread

Sorry if this was asked already, but I cannot find the answer: If Setsuki Hiruki is on Max Level: Do I HAVE to draw to cards in the Upkeep Phase or could I also draw 0 (or 1)? In general: are these Max Level Triggers obligatory?

it says draw, not “you may draw”. so it’s mandatory.

2 Likes

Yea, language that has “may” is not obligatory, otherwise, it is obligatory ON YOUR TURN. Note things like Garth maxband, vandy maxband and zane maxband all fizzle if they happen on your opponents turn. They are otherwise obligatory unless they have the “may” language, or similar.

1 Like

Thank you!

To clarify zhavier’s point, text without “may” is obligatory on any turn, except where the text cannot be followed. Text that requires the controller to make a choice when it’s not his turn cannot be followed, because only the active player is allowed to make choices. Hence, if Second Chances causes Bamstamper Lizzo to arrive off-turn, it will not deal damage because its controller can’t choose a target, but a Plague Lord would distribute runes because there’s no choice involved with that ability.

2 Likes

Not finding anything about this ITT but it’s in the rulebook! Just wanted to call it out so it’s searchable here as well.

@hardy83 recently asked if Graveyard (or other building cards) would require paying the multicolor penalty of +1 gold if they are the first building you make (like I just did on P1T1 as [Necro]/Blood/Fire)

Answered my own q on page 12!

“if your heroes are more than one color,
the first tech building or add-on you build costs 1 extra gold.”

1 Like

how does Ember Sparcs and Burning Valley interact with resist? Like tricikloid for each ping or once per target?

Once per target. You’re splitting damage between several targets within one effect, not doing 1 damage several times like Tricycloid’s ability.

2 Likes

Tricycloid’s ability is activated and does 1 point, then it has resolved. Ember Sparks and Burning Volley are activated, and then deal several points of damage, then resolves. The activation and target selection are when you resolve resist, not the damage dealing step.

5 Likes

More “fun” with the wording of Green spells. Let’s compare the text for Ferocity and Moment’s Peace:

Your units get armor piercing and swift strike until your next upkeep. (They ignore armor and deal their combat damage before units and heroes without swift strike.)

Until your next turn, your units can’t patrol and opposing units can’t attack you.

Ferocity’s effect only affects units that you have on the board when you play the card. But Moment’s Peace has very similar wording. This means we have two possible ways that Moment’s Peace can be interpreted:

1. Moment’s Peace only affects units on the board when it’s played. You can play a unit afterwards and have it block, and the opponent can attack with a Crashbarrow on their turn. If an opponent takes control of one of your units that was on the board when Moment’s Peace was played, it can’t patrol. If you play Moment’s Peace then steal a unit, it can patrol but not attack.
  2. Moment’s Peace affects units that appear after it’s played, as if the effect targeted players instead of units à la Free Speech, despite the text saying that it affects units like Ferocity and Stampede.

I think the latter’s correct, because otherwise the implications are bonkers. Anything I’m missing?

1 Like

So, it’s definitely 2 as the intended effect. This is one of many many cases where the text isn’t rules lawyer-y enough to capture all the nuances. An alternate wording might be “Until your next upkeep, units controlled by you cannot patrol and units cannot attack you.”

The big difference in the two abilities is the word “get”. Ferocity grants something to existing units, while moments peace does not.

3 Likes

how does work overpower with sentry, if i kill sentry with main amount of damage?
like my opponent has patrol: sentry(3/2)A SQL and immortal (5/5) lookout. I attack sentry with 8/8 overpower gigadon. Do i sideline immortal with overpower damage?

Specifically, the damage is redirected by the overpower ability, not dealt by it like sparkshot, so Sentry’s ability doesn’t trigger.

1 Like

A question about Might of Leaf and Claw (MLC) and Manufactured Truth (MT). If I use MT and copy a unit of my opponent and he has MLC out with 5 runes on it (so his units have +5/+5 bonus); Do my copy of the unit also get the +5/+5 bonus?

1 Like

No. Upgrades affect the units/heroes/etc of its controller only

Manufactured Truth only copies what is printed on the copied card, so the benefits of upgrades, attached spells, runes, etc. won’t transfer over.

3 Likes

That’s what I thought as well, but when I read on Codex Card Database | Manufactured Truth I saw the following "If an effect changes the “printed” values of a card, the new values will be used. This includes Chaos Mirror and transformation effects such as Polymorph: Squirrel., " and then I thought also Might of Leaf and Claw would includes according to the above written text.

I guess I get it now… So if something just gives +X (or -X) then it is NOT included when using Manufactured Truth. But if the card says it changes the printed value it will be included. Thanks guys!

2 Likes

If Cursed Crow hits the enemy base in Two-Headed Dragon, how many opponents discard a card? I’m guessing both, since it flies through both patrol zones.

EDIT: Ah, looks like we’ve already had this discussion for Obliterate.

If a Brave Knight takes 1 combat damage and then becomes a 3/1 via Fairie Dragon giving it a Feather Rune, does the Knight die for real or return to its owner’s hand?

1 Like