Rules Questions thread

In my defense, reads don’t real. :wink:

As an aside, if you’re looking at reviewing rulings, I don’t really like this one. I think it would be simpler and more intuitive (and not need an exception) if things always returned to play under their owner’s control. I realise this is a fairly substantial change to several interactions (flickering Kidnapped units, etc.) but I think it would be better long term. Also, these interactions are very niche (I think I’ve seen it come up once in hundreds of games). I’m sure lots of other people will disagree with me though…

1 Like

In a continuation of my series on stupid questions with probably simple answers:

Drakk has a few spells which reference roughly “end of turn” for the timing of the effect.
Who has priority, if anyone, if decisions need to be made at that specific timing?

Often it doesn’t matter, but I suspect that bloodlust for final point of damage on a hero isn’t that uncommon for Drakk.
Similarly, Kidnapping gains control UNTIL end of turn.

Say:
I have a level 5 Garth, second chances out and summon Drakk.
I kidnap an enemy tech 2 unit.
I throw the tech 2 unit into something with 1 less attack than the tech 2’s health.
I walk Garth into their hero for 2 damage, then I bloodlust the tech 2 and their hero so they will both die.

Kidnapping returns the unit ‘at the same time’ as bloodlust damage so I can choose to damage, kill and thus keep the tech 2 via second chances if I am the active player at the end of my turn, AND I can choose to put the levels on Garth so he maxbands (and fetching say rememberer or golgort).

Or my turn is over I no longer make decisions and thus while the damage is dealt it occurs in the order of the newly active player’s choosing – probably no tech 2 unit saved for me and the levels might go to Drakk as well.

OR some ruling makes it some third option?

2 Likes

The wording is confusing. As far as I know, this is how it works.

There is no limbo state between turns. It is always someone’s turn. This means that ‘At the end of the turn’ triggers occur during your turn, and you can make any decisions which they involve, or which other abilities which might trigger involve.

This means (confusingly) that ‘until end of turn’ effects are actually still in effect when ‘at end of turn’ abilities trigger. This is because it’s still your turn, and your turn doesn’t actually end until all ‘at end of turn’ effects are resolved and the queue is empty.

So yes, mostly it’s option 1. Except that there isn’t any choosing I don’t think. You couldn’t decide to return the unit, and then have it take 1 damage, because it will remain under your control until after all ‘end of turn’ effects have resolved.

But I might be wrong - anyone else care to confirm/deny?

ETA: This is the ruling from sharpo, I thnk.

Yes, “At end of turn” abilities resolve during your turn, and “Until end of turn” effects last for your whole turn.

5 Likes

Some weird issues I thought of

“Ephemeral triggers at the end of each player’s turn. — sharpo”
“Each of your five patrol slots gives a different bonus on opponents’ turns - rulebook”

So I can put a ephemeral unit in patrol zone technician or scavenger. The patrol locks at end of main phase. Then these units die at end of turn but wont grant me the bonus (even though they died while patrolling) because it is not yet the opponent’s turn.

1. How does overpower interact with twolives?
    Example, squad leader max rook needs 1 damage to lose first life. Gets attacked by centaur.
    2 damage to remove armor and put crumble rune. The remaining 1 atk overpower dont trigger? Or trigger again against rook?
1 Like

That’s right.

This centaur can assign the excess 1 damage to something else that it could attack if Rook wasn’t in the way. It cannot assign it to Rook.

2 Likes

Rook will be in the way as squad leader still. So it will be like this

Centaur attacks
1 damage removes armor
1 damage puts crumbling rune on rook
1 damage overpower against Rook.

End result:
Centaur dead
Max rook in squad leader with a crumbling rune and 1 damage

Two Lives replaces death with gain a crumbling rune (unless crumbling rune).
Similar to indestructable units getting smashed by overpower or stampede, the ‘excess’ damage is assigned to something ‘as if the surviving thing was not there’.

4 Likes

If Quince’s mid- or max-band abilites make a mirror copy another unit, there’s a ruling saying that the Tech level of that unit is also copied. Does this mean the Mirror is no longer a Tech 0 unit (and therefore doesn’t get sacced first to Obliterate/Sac the Weak and can’t be targeted by Stewardess)? It just becomes a Tech II token? Or are all tokens Tech 0 by definition? Can it be Tech 0 and Tech II at the same time?

1 Like

My belief is that all tokens start as Tech 0, unless stated otherwise. So… it just becomes a Tech II token.

2 Likes

It copy the tech level too.

2 Likes

The 3 damage happens all at once, so the thing you are attacking is always still in the way when you deal overpower damage (even if it does not have two lives), but you still cannot assign overpower damage to it.

Also, even if you did assign all 3 damage to rook, in that case he would not end up with 1 damage and a crumbling rune. He would end up with 0 damage and a crumbling rune. This is the what would happen if you attacked it with Argonaut.

1 Like

Its original tech level is overwritten, along with everything else about the card, except for its Illusion type.

I more confused now.

Please help me out with this scenario.

Max rook in squad leader. He is already down to one health left to lose his first life

Lets also say centaur is buffed to have total of 5atk
But his remaining health is just 1

Centaur attacks
1 damage removes squad leader armor
1 damage puts crumbling rune on rook. Rook still standing in squad leader.
3 damage extra that cannot be utilised?

End result:
Rook got a crumbling rune and no damage
Centaur died without benefiting from overpower ability
?? Correct?

Incorrect, Overpower damage is targeted as if the primary target did not exist.

1 Damage hits armor, 1 Damage puts Crumbling Rune, and 3 Damage are aplied as if Rook did not exist.

1 Like

No, the 3 damage can be utilised. The game sees 2 damage is enough to kill rook, so Overpower lets you put 3 damage on one other thing that you could attack if Rook wasn’t there. Damage is then dealt, rook would die, but his Second Life effect triggers, removing all damage from him, and the Overpowered unit/hero/building takes 3 damage.

1 Like

I see … This is news to me.
So basicall if rook was the only patroller my 3 overpower damage can be directed to the base as if rook vanished momentarily.
And if there was another patroller, the 3 will have to hit that patroller.

Finally, if another unit try to attack in the same turn, it will have to attack squad leader Rook who now have crumbling rune and 0 damage.

I think I got it :slight_smile:
It is definitely a little bit weird to me.

4 Likes

Visualize it this way: the attack pulverizes rook into a pile of rubble, and your Centaur is then unimpeded has he charges through to hit something else. However, the rubble then immediately reassembles itself back into Rook, who stands there in time to block the next attack.

6 Likes

And now your centaur is stuck behind the enemy line and we have to make a movie called Save Private Centaur.

5 Likes

Tokens are tech 0 in the same way that Building Inspector is tech 0. So that will change if they copy something else that is not tech 0.

3 Likes