Rules Errata Thread

Hi!

I’m creating this thread to gather rulings that specifically contradict the rulebook. Please add your contributions, though I imagine this thread will be able to remain quite short.

On page 18: Active Player Decides, the rulebook states:

Any effect requiring a decision always refers to the active player. […] In the unusual event that an event that an effect specifically asks an opponent to make a decision on your turn, instead nothing happens.

There was a ruling that contradicts this here: Rules Questions thread - #3107 by sharpobject

Basically, it feels unnatural for things like Bamstamper Lizzo and Cursed Ghoul to give their arrives: x triggers to the active player if returned from play by Prynn’s maxband interaction ending.

So, I propose the following substitution for the first and last sentences of the Active Player Decides rule:

In general, effects requiring a decision refers to the active player. […] However, any trigger requiring a decision (ie. Vandy Anadrose’s maxband) on a card not controlled by the active player will be ignored unless stated otherwise. Also, In the unusual event that an event that an effect specifically asks an opponent to make a decision on your turn, instead nothing happens.

2 Likes

Not an error, more a case of the rulebook saying two things that don’t agree with each other, to make it “easier” to read.

Page 5:

You can attack with any unit or hero that you controlled at the beginning of your turn.

Page 17, in “Other Odds and Ends”:

All card types have arrival fatigue, which means the turn they come under your control, they can’t use abilities that require exhausting as part of the cost. If they are units or heroes, it means they also can’t attack the turn they come under your control.

These don’t say the same thing. Consider losing your Dorthram Horselord to the opponent on upkeep, then taking it back with Mind Control. Can it attack? The former says it can, the latter says it can’t. The latter is correct.

4 Likes

Wow, I had no idea arrival fatigue was tied to control like that. I’d assumed that it was tied to “arriving” into play.

Thanks for clearing that up!

3 Likes

Not exactly errata, but an expanded version of the parts of a turn can be found here:

Parts of a Turn - Google Docs

2 Likes