[MMM1] Warm Up: P1 Blue (bansa) vs P2 Purple (FrozenStorm)

P2T4

Tech StartingHand Workers

TECH
Spectral Roc
Elite Training

STARTING HAND
Building Inspector
Lawful Search
Arrest
Spectral Hound
Spectral Hound

WORKERS
Bluecoat Musketeer
Porkhand Magistrate
Traffic Director
Building Inspector

NextHand

Spectral Roc
Jail
Manufactured Truth
Arrest

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid + float - ($9)
Worker - ($8)
Spectral Hound - ($7)
Spectral Hound - ($6)
Quince - ($4)
Tech II (Truth) - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 2, reshuffle, draw 4

Board Info:
In Patrol:

• :psblueshield: Squad Leader: Spectral Hound (3/3A)
  • :psfist: Elite:
  • :ps_: Scavenger: Soldier (1/1)
  • :pschip: Technician: Mirror (0/1)
  • :target: Lookout: Reputable Newsman (0/3), #1, resist 1

In Play:

• Soldier (1/1)
  • Soldier (1/1)
  • Spectral Hound (3/3)
  • L1 Quince (1/3)

Buildings:

• :heart: Base HP: 19
  • :heart: Tech I HP: 4
  • :heart: Tech II HP: 5 (Truth)

Economy Info:
Cards:

• Hand: 4
  • Deck: 5
  • Disc: 0

Gold:

• Gold: 0
  • Workers: 9
Thoughts

umm maybe should have saved oniā€¦ uhā€¦

MMM Warmup Game2: Player 1, Turn 5

P1 Purple vs P2 Blue

Starting Hand

Void Star
Fading Argonaut
Nullcraft
Void Star
Battle Suits

Events of Turn:

Upkeep:

• Get Gold (8)
  • Tech 2 cards in (except turn 1)
All Teched Cards

Vortoss Emblem, Stewardess of the Undone
Omegacron, Xenostalker
Void Star x2
Stewardess of the Undone, Now!

Main:

• Nullcraft, kill mirror, you draw 1 (6)
  • Void Star (1)
  • Worker (0)
Workers

Battle Suits, Hardened Mox, dTime Spiral, Tinkerer, Forgotten Fighter

• :pspurpleshield: Patrol as below
  • Discard 2 rs Draw 4

Board Info:

Buildings:

• :heart: Base HP: 20
  • Tech1 HP: 5
  • Tech2 HP: 5 FUTURE

In Patrol:

• :psblueshield: Squad Leader: Vir (2/3+1armor lvl 3)
  • :pspig: Scavenger:
  • :exhaust: Technician:
  • :target: Lookout:

In Play:

• Nullcraft (1/1)
  • Void Star (5/4)

Economy Info:

Cards:

• Deck: 7
  • Disc: 0

Gold:

• Workers: 9

End of Turn Hand

Temporal Research
Fading Argonaut
Void Star
Omegacron

End of Turn Discard
My Thoughts

Oh it was a whiff, and ugh those Houndsā€¦ I think Iā€™ll grab an Emblem, and another Stewardess. Time for air superiority XD

P2T5

Tech StartingHand Workers

TECH
Boot Camp
Dreamscape

STARTING HAND
Jail
Manufactured Truth
Arrest
Spectral Roc
Reteller of Truths

WORKERS
Bluecoat Musketeer
Porkhand Magistrate
Traffic Director
Building Inspector
Jail

NextHand

Elite Training
Macciatus, The Whisperer
Spectral Aven
Lawful Search

Discard

Arrest
Manufactured Truth
Boot Camp
Dreamscape

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid + t draw - ($9)
Worker - ($8)
Spectral Roc - ($4)
Reteller of Truths - ($2)
Mirror - ($0)
Hound and Quince kill Vir, Quince to L3
Hound and Soldiers break Tech II, base: 18

Float ($0)
Discard 2, draw 4

Board Info:
In Patrol:

• :psblueshield: Squad Leader: Spectral Roc (4/5A)
  • :ps_: Scavenger: Soldier (1/1)
  • :pschip: Technician: Mirror (0/1)
  • :target: Lookout: Reputable Newsman (0/3), #1, resist 1

In Play:

• Soldier (1/1)
  • Soldier (1/1)
  • Spectral Hound (3/1), -2
  • L3 Quince (1/4)
  • Spectral Hound (3/3)
  • Reteller of Truths (3/3)

Buildings:

• :heart: Base HP: 19
  • :heart: Tech I HP: 4
  • :heart: Tech II HP: 5 (Truth)

Economy Info:
Cards:

• Deck: 0
  • Disc: 4

Gold:

• Workers: 10
Thoughts

this should do itā€¦?

1 Like

Ugh what a draw!

I fold once again, didnā€™t get my Vortoss Emblem that I needed to clear the path.

Any thoughts where the issue might be (observers also)? @Shadow_Night_Black you still around and have some Purple thoughts?

1 Like

Ha! didnā€™t even think about Vortoss Emblem and didnā€™t know it targets any unitā€¦ That might be the answer? Sounds like a good counter. I agree Future is a better option than Present against Law and Present is prolly a better option than Future against Truth vice versa. Not much to discover though than we already know. Blue vs Purple is just harsh on Purple.

I think Iā€™ve shared my strongest options in these warm ups. These will be the main gameplay against Purple. Of course each game will be a little different but I donā€™t think there will be any surprises. Insurance Agent or Illusions are what you need to counter. Perhaps you will see occasional all in plays but yea that should sum it up I think.

Let me know when you are ready for more action. I can start the first 5 of MMM series as P1.

by strange happenchance, I was breaking my codex fast about now, WIll have a look.
(Personally I find it funny that Iā€™m still the person people look to for purple advice!)

4 Likes

Good to see you back @Shadow_Night_Black

1 Like

When Vortoss Emblem fades away does it only discard itself or the attached unit also?

Just itself. But itā€™s main use is cheap targeting in this matchup (IMO anyway)

That and free time runes for Temporal Research

1 Like

Some Quick thoughts (Iā€™ll do a more detail overview of techs later. Purple really depends on having the right cards at the right time, due to the specificness of their answers/power coming through card comboā€™s, so that is very important)

1. Unfortuneatly Bansa has a very good understanding of blue. This is really highlighted in the first few turns of G1, namely Scribe + Tax collector. Because of this our ā€œnormalā€ game plan of gold floating to have specific thresholds (namely 8 gold on T3) is a lot weaker. Thankfully if we donā€™t leave gold floating its a really non aggressive opener, and we can get away with a lot more (of course this leads to the 50/50 of Tax collector vs Hounds, but thats the mind game for you to play).
  2. We will still want to tech our tech 2 game plan in either case. We dont have the aggresive tools to win at tech 1, and blue has the better options the longer the game goes on, so a sudden push at tech 2 is a good goal (with the third reshuffle just to bringing it to a close). For a Present based game plan (these can work, just need to be hyper explosive on the tech 2 front), getting 1x Hyperion, 1x Tric, 1x Now! and 1x TD in the deck asap is vitial. (second now! can come in our fourth techs along with a flex card). For Future, we can rely more on slightly slower plan (as we have to worry less about Mirrors/Community Service) but still 1-2 Void Stars, 2x Now!, and 1-2 Xenostalkers (giving both anti illusion + just a good defensive body) in the deck is very important.
  3. I wouldnā€™t worry too much about specific anti illusion cards. 2x Now! and either trics/xeno stalkers are generally good enough (and saving 1 gold for vortoss emplem is not worth the tech slot, tech slots are really valuable, plus the gold saved is often made up for having to pay for prynn).
3 Likes

That was super analytical and on point for quick thoughts. Pretty much agree 100% except for the bansa part :blush: Frozen really summoned the true Purple master. :+1: Iā€™m in trouble now. :frowning:

I wanted to keep this to myself since itā€™s not necessarily about Blue vs Purple but I will share my two cents in the spirit of shared knowledge going into the MMM. I think it will help any player going against Blue to acknowledge Blueā€™s drawing power. TC was not a lucky draw. It was actually the opposite. It wouldā€™ve been very unlucky if I couldnā€™t steal that float. Float was expected because of Purpleā€™s starter card content. Chance of me not drawing TC was very low like less than 20% if Iā€™m doing my math right. Thatā€™s without lawful search since I had to worker it in T1 unfortunately. With LS, itā€™s pretty much a guarantee.

Edit: I might have done the math wrong. Maybe less than 30% not 20%.

Later draw combos like LBG and Flagbearer in G1 or Roc and Reteller in G2 are nice but again at this point itā€™s very unlikely to have a whip draw so any hand has a potential to have a big swing or board. This goes both ways but normally Blue has ways to manipulate their hands in some ways so that should be expected. :wink:

Agree on the TC not being a lucky draw. and against a purple player that isnā€™t expecting it, itā€™s basically gaurnteed to hit (and really mucks up their game plan). A lot of people (myself included for the longest time) sleep on the power of TC, purely becuase it doesnā€™t look like much, but man losing a gold really hurts, esp when blue is trying to drag the game out)
I donā€™t think you had particulary luck draws (tbh I wasnā€™t particallar looking at your draws, but nothing really stood out to me)

2 Likes

Things thats stand out to me, Stewardess is good (deals with mirrors/avens nicely), now! feels early. Even against first tech dogs I prefer a Argo as it eats dogs with out dying. As we are P1, we dont have to worry about Tech 2 on turn 3, so we dont have to worry about gold being stolen.
Void Star x2 is nice.
Omegacron is an idea, but not one that I think fits with the double void star. we are ultra light on defensive options at this point with only the xenostalker/stewardess being teched on the defence. If we had teched the argo earlier then xenostalker now would be a call, but here I think that double xenostalker would have been a better shout (also great illusion poping ability).
Last few techs are desperation, but I would prefer now! over Vortoss. Its only 1 gold more if used for illusion poping, and gives a lot more flexibility becuase its also now! if we need it.

1 Like

This feels a bit disjointed a tech path.

• Early Stewardess is good, Assimilate means weā€™re delaying tech 2, and as nice jail is, Iā€™m on the fence to this. if we do want to go the assimilate route, might be more interested in going forcast spam/double time game plans. not sure how well that goes though, would be fun to test.
  • Now! and Argo is interesting. this is our last two techs before reshuffle, so no tech 2 units/other win con until T6, which feels very late for me. given weā€™re delaying due to assimilate, I would like a double time or a way of cycling through the deck quicker. I donā€™t think weā€™re applying enough pressure here to prevent shenanagens.
  • Hyperion TD, would prefer Tric over TD, as we only really have 1 target atm for TD.
  • Immortal/O story. the ostory I think is a bit out of place here? would delay it at least a turn to be closer to the reshuffle so we know if we actually need it. would really like a second unit good for TD by now, and Immortals feel a bit slow to me. i dont think the game is likely go long enough for it to get value.
  • Tric is good. second TD is probably needed given size of deck at this point. Would prefer to not have a deck this big, but we must tech so seems okay. Might prefer second now! here.
  • Not sure the last few techs matter that much so will leave it here. I donā€™t like the techs after we hit 10 workers. we have a large deck at this point, and I dont think diluting it with 2x ready or not is a great shout.
1 Like

These are good insights into tech patterns.
As I posted about in the other thread about tech patterns, Iā€™ve been thinking heavily about it, and some of the things youā€™re laying out here are often on my mind, especially delaying subjective/ā€˜answerā€™ techs until just before the third reshuffle, and teching ā€˜standard/necessaryā€™ things when there are more turns for the field to change before youā€™ll see them.

1 Like

Really appreciate all this Bansa!

Agree that my Game 1 plan was too unfocused, and that Tric was easily a miss over the TD turn 4. I like the idea to try forecast spam ala KotC + Vir max. I bet it does work out okay

@bansa what you think? You feel solid and want to start, or want one more pair of games to try stuff?

1 Like

Letā€™s get started. I will create a thread as P1.

1 Like