Little tricks to keep track of everything in Codex

Personally I found it super helpful to have some one remind me about miss draw or legal action especially if the person playing is new. Sometime these playing are so into the game they miss the little things and it takes an observer to remind them

4 Likes

We’ve discovered that a given hero’s space in the Command Zone makes a great place to keep channeling spells attached to them, so that if they leave play you’re forced to be reminded of them to discard them

12 Likes

Did anyone tried exhausting the workers to pay for gold and using gold tokens just for floating gold?

Haven’t done that, but instead I’ve got little containers for the various chits (like one for the damage chits, one for +/-, etc.). Each player gets one container that contains a countdown d20 for base HP, 3d6 for tech HP, and exactly 20 gold (8×1 gold and 6×2 gold). If there’s gold on your mat at the end of your turn, that’s how we indicate floating gold.

1 Like

I use dice for gold, and at the end of my turn, I’ll count my workers, and set that number on the dice (on top of the workers), that way on my upkeep, I can just move the dice from my workers to the board, and it’s easy to see at a glance what my total gold is.

4 Likes

I actually do the exact same thing using the official gold chips! Just pile them up during the opponent’s turn and put them on the workers, then move them at the start of the turn. Obviously dice work well, but the gold tokens are so nice!

2 Likes

When i had the PnP version of Codex i used dices to keep track of my Gold and thought it was better than having a bunch of loose Gold token around but ever since getting the real thing i kind of like using the gold token rather than Dice. But find dices to be better when showing damage on building and units instead of the chits. (The only chits i like using are the -1 rune )

Also while i like D6 dices to show time rune they look too much like counters so i always forget to remove them on the upkeep.

2 Likes

I’m using two-sided PennyGems for my gold; one side black and one side white.
I’ll have as many gems on the board as I have workers and flip them to white/black depending on whether I do or do not have that gold. I use separate tokens for floated gold.

3 Likes

I have another suggestion for keeping track of dead heroes. When a hero dies, you can put the dead hero face down in your command zone. Flip it face up at the beginning of your opponents turn. During your turn, if your hero is face up you can summon it.

For example:
If your hero dies on your turn, put it face down in command zone. At the start of your opponent’s next turn, flip it face up. Then on your next turn, you can resummon it.

If your hero dies on your opponent’s turn, put it face down in command zone. On your turn, you can’t resummon your dead hero because it’s face down. At the start of your opponent’s next turn, flip it face up. Then, On your next turn, you can resummon it.

*edit. Disregard this. @GRAG’s idea is better

Except that’s not right.
If your hero dies on your turn, you can’t summon it until after your next turn.

3 Likes

Exactly! That’s why, when my hero dies, it goes back in the command zone both face-down and inverted, and each upkeep I turn inverted cards right-side-up and face-down cards face-up, guaranteeing that my heroes stay dead for the right number of turns

4 Likes

Tnx @Bryce_The_Rice. Ill edit my post. Ill copy @GRAG’s idea

1 Like

I’ve added silver and gold tokens for marking hero bands. They aren’t necessary, but they make it easier to see which bands the heroes are at from across the table.

Some quotes from the First Impressions thread, to help with draw piles:

1 Like

Yeah, “sideways discard pile” seems to be a really popular convention. It’s even in the starter rulebook in one of the diagrams : O

1 Like

I’ve started putting my teched cards next to my discard pile, with the gold for my next turn on top of them. So then I simply put them into my discard pile when I collect my gold at the start of my turn. I’ll often put 3-4 cards there and choose 2 depending on what my opponent does during their turn.

Once I got in the habit of placing my gold there, I just naturally think about teching when I collect it.

5 Likes

I printed out one of these for each player. It incorporates “discard pile sideways” and a slightly separate slot for teched cards.

2 Likes

I mostly play on Tabletopia.

I put the cards to be teched in off the mat just to the side of the discard pile and I put those blue chips on top of the discard pile when I know I need to tech. I put blue chips also on the workers and on tech buildings I know I need to build or any card that I think I might forget.

With heros, I usually put damage counters on them after they die while they are in the command zone. When a hero dies it gets 2 damage counters. When my turn starts, I remove one. I can only summon if it has no damage counters. It works OK since there is no other reason to have damage counters on heros that aren’t in play. It’s pretty easy to know what they are for.

If I was playing physical cards, I would do basically the same stuff and just use dice for levels. I have played D&D in the past, so I have a lot of dice with other than 6 sides.

2 Likes

My playgroup heavily favors the use of dice vs tokens.

We have large piles of dice. So I will bring a bag of 20 red d6, 20 blue, and 20 green. Red dice track damage on units and heros.

However, for some reason we all collectively decided that buildings get a die set at the max HP that counts down as the building takes damage (opposite of how we track on units and heroes). So at the start of the game everyone starts with 4d6 set to 5’s on their base.

Blue dice for +1/+1 counters on units and heroes. Blue dice also to track current gold count.

Green dice for effects like time runes.

We enjoy the visual effect of the dice though, it could be a hassle at a tournament (unless you had convenient storage.)

I have not tested the sideways discard… but I always rotate my tech-cards 45 or 90 degrees clockwise feom the discard pile’s orientation, then straighten them as part of upkeep to lock in my choices.

2 Likes

I like the sideways tech card thing, but I think all the dice would be just too much for me. I use d6s for the Tech Buildings, and a d20 for the Base, d8/d6 for the Hero levels, but that’s it for dice. The money changes too frequently to make it worth fiddling with a die so often. And the damage counters don’t stay long enough (in my games, anyway) to warrant having a die on each unit/hero.

I don’t play in tournaments, but if I did, I would be confused with your setup. But, I think if it works for your group locally, then there’s certainly nothing wrong with it.

Edit: This was in reply to Archon’s recent post.

2 Likes