IYL8 - Flagstone - Match Reports

Knifight Vs. @variable, 3-1 Knifight
:vendetta: :psfist: :pschip: :quince:
:vendetta: :psfist: :pschip: :grave:
:vendetta: :pschip: :psfist: :grave:
:vendetta: :psfist: :pschip: :grave:

Really scary matches against Variable. Having some games together before definitely made things pretty interesting. And really fun having a huge crowd, thanks for watching everybody! Got lucky enough to have a caster, so I’ll try to remember to link that when it’s up.

Edit: International Yomi League 8 - variable vs Knifight - YouTube

First match we play looks like Variable started with a very smart play of blocking for a turn before he threw out the AA to beat the 2 I think he knew was coming, but unfortunately Ven always draws like 8 acros, so I get out of it. I get a throw and mixup, he gets a few positive spins, I 4 the K spin and so on and so forth. Basically we took turns putting each other in the blender until we’re low life and I make a hard call to disrespect the K spin and AAA. I think the moment I pulled ahead was when I managed to bait a blue burst, next turn got an acro and landed the gold burst to follow it up Probably my favorite match of the set. Quince Ven is one of my favorite match ups especially against a really solid Quince like Variable’s. Looking at a replay, he did a great job of not giving away his weird starting hand, I had no clue that’s what he was working with.

The Grave switch really surprised me, I was expecting the Geiger. I think it was a good call though. I think making things a little less crazy and more of a fundamentals game is the kind of game Variable has a good chance of beating me with. In our practice/fun we’ve played a few where I get a giant lead and then he just plays perfectly solid at 20 life for like 20 turns and beats me. Idk if that’s even what he was thinking though.

First Grave game was pretty standard but I’d think we both played pretty smart. First turn I 7 throw since I think he’ll respect the 2. Like 2 turns later he throws the king to call out the 2 I hadn’t even showed. I get a raw K, he knows I’m gonna be a coward and dodge to see if there’s a queen and just tosses me, I acro, he tens, I acro again. He calls out another raw no KD 11.0 K and chucks me again. We play a little more cautious and get up to big hand, but his throw/block/Q range is slowly widening a good life lead. I kind of desperately play a 9 after a his queen and get his 9 which swings things a little back my way since I had 2 hidden aces. He smacks my 3 with a KKA and life is now 6-40ish. I finally get a second 2, win that poke. I figure he’s eager to finish it with probably throw/A/Q, but I don’t know which. So I power up to throw off the gold burst play and he 7 throws so I live for another turn. With 3 7s and a ton of other throws in the discard I assume Q/A is pretty likely, or at least likely what’s likely in hand, so I go for a dodge and get my AAA off for the win.

Next game was pretty quick, a few turns in he powers up for an A and wins with a 2 poke. I think to myself surely that’s not TPoS, keep my joker and don’t even bluff. So of course as I’m sure you know life is now 28-90. K poke wins and a 10 to block my acro, and then a good safe callout on my joker and things are looking a lot worse. I had a lot of good chances. I definitely feel like he’s short on non throw options so I keep trying to get a hard call with 5 pokes and stuff since I’m out of good pokes, but he makes the very smart call to just throw slightly less bad pokes and carefully inches away. Trying to wait for a few dodges but they don’t come he gets a Jack and chips me down. Basically he played perfectly in the lead and made some very good hard reads. I should have been a little more careful with early dodges and should have at least powered up for the threat of AA/AAA.

Last game was a little more standard, I get some K pressure, he evens it up by throwing my dodge on his wake up again and tacks on an A, I get him back down and he calls out the K with a Q. We’re both medium hand but I suspect I like mine a little more so I get a 4 throw combo which puts me back ahead slightly. He gets a block and KtOs an ace. I figure if he does it his hand might not have much value left after all the high value pokes and powered up dodges and I’d still have a slight life lead, so I 2 poke knowing it might get hit and finally deny some KtO value (he’d been making great use of it all through the set enough to keep my carrion reach under control). At this point he’s close to lethal and my hand has every option I could want including the 3 2s and a joker to cover a dodge, so being pretty sure he doesn’t have another joker I decide to count on him not guessing I have the 2s until he either starts blocking them or that something that beats them is lethal. First 2 gets aced, second 2 gets Ked, still safe at 27 life, then third 2 lands and I get lethal.

Really fun matches again! And really scary all the way through. Feel free to add in stuff I might have missed, Variable. Reading through that I don’t think I highlighted your KtO play enough or how your 7s always came out at the right time when I didn’t want you to see my hand. Same for any of you guys that watched! Thanks for watching, and thanks for remembering to promote it, Variable!

Good luck in your matches, dude! Kick some butts.

10 Likes

Hey, I will! I’m looking forward to the rest of IYL! Good luck in your matches as well, man! And, thanks for writing this up, @Knifight! This is one of the most detailed match reports I’ve seen on here! Also, your Vendetta is quite formidable! GGs! ^^ <3

Shoutouts to my Yomi mentor @migohunter for casting this set! I’ll definitely be able to learn even more by watching the VOD! :smiley_cat:

6 Likes

Gingivitusks vs. @CKR

No response from CKR in scheduling thread after 2 weeks. Hope all is well with you.

Yomi community, let me know if there is a better way to declare these sorts of things, this being my first tourney.

3 Likes

@vengefulpickle is the TO, and should be aware of the situation already. You can just ask him in your PM about the match, how to resolve the situation.

4 Likes

To add onto what Ginorm said, if you’re in the Sirlin Games discord server you can also ping vengefulpickle there if you have any questions about anything related to a tournament he’s running!

2 Likes

Southpaw Hare vs @Ginorm

:bbb: :psfist: :pschip: :menelker:
:bbb: :pschip: :psfist: :gwen:
:rook: :pschip: :psfist: :gwen:
:rook: :psfist: :pschip: :gwen:
:rook: :psfist: :pschip: :argagarg:

Southpaw Hare 3 - 2 Ginorm
Southpaw Hare wins!

5 Likes

I just went through and reviewed the games, and you beautifully set up that Wall of Vines in game 5 after your Threw my Bubble Shield. Like it was setup up so well through all the Rook games. So many Special Blocks I took to the face all 3 Rook games. Awesomely done!

2 Likes

Hey, all. We’re living through extraordinary times, and the last thing you need is stress due to video games. So, if anyone needs an extension for any reason to get a match played, let me know. We’re still plenty early in the season, so we’ve got lots of flexibility.

Stay well!

7 Likes

gutterowl 3-1 @Gingivitusks

perse > grave
this one was just some old fashioned 'seph. almost snatched defeat from the jaws of victory when i put down a six wrong side up, but i luckily only ate one ace instead of three.

perse > grave
tactically risked eating a tpos, and ging fed it to me right on schedule. but played careful and made the nine life comeback dancing around against single ace. btw gingi, on that last turn, i was holding nothing but throws and slow attacks, so if you’d actually rode the lightning, it would’ve been checkmate.

perse < zane
oof ow my bones. almost managed a mistress command run for freedom, but got cocky and got knocked on my ass, and then it was just scripted.

perse > zane
and finish it off with some classic vortex. this match is so polar, because the instant zane hits the dirt he’s struggling. started the festivities with a dodge-command, then sealed it by thowing slow jack after zane powered up, b/c gingi definitely was showing a habit of threaten-powerup-into-throw by this point, and worse case scenario i was eating 19.

two takeaways:

1. if you want people to respect the power up bluff, you gotta let the aces rock sometimes to condition some respect.

2. if perse dodges you and you think she’s got an ace in hand, always always ALWAYS facedown something if your jokers ain’t accounted for yet. otherwise she can mistress’s command with no fear. at least make her weigh the risk of losing that valuable ace on nothing, when she could otherwise just take a safe KD.

ggs gingi, good luck in the rest of the bracket!

8 Likes

Wow really great to see people playing this game! Been catching them on Youtube.com.

I’m not good enough to count cards but consider me a fan of watching!! GGs!

13 Likes

Glad you’re enjoying the games! :slight_smile: If you like what you see, add the game to your Steam wishlist - it goes on sale pretty regularly.

6 Likes

And you don’t have to be good to play in tournaments. IYL last year was a big part in how I learned to play

5 Likes

Gingivitusks vs. @variable
3 - 1
Gingivitusks wins

:rook: :psfist: :pschip: :quince:
Quince really wanted to throw Rook. Rook really wanted to attack. Got stuck in the cycle near the end but had enough lead to close out the victory
:rook: :psfist: :pschip: :quince:
Honestly this one is a bit fuzzy in my memory, it was more back and forth
:rook: :pschip: :psfist: :geiger:
A lot of back and forth in this one. In the end I got a little too aggressive and got backed into a corner and got time spiraled to death.
:grave: :psfist: :pschip: :geiger:
Very defensive start and both characters powered up for aces before much blood was shed. I had play aggressively though the rest of the set, so I was able to dodge my way into a winning TPoS.

Very good games, as I said at the end of the match, I’ve learned a lot from our sparring sessions variable. I have no doubt that on a different day the results of this match would’ve been in your favor, as they commonly are in our practice sessions. Best of luck in the rest of the season, always a pleasure playing with you.

10 Likes

As everyone knows, I’m a Perse main. As such, I did the most Perse main thing imaginable and ditched her for an actual good character. Victory at any cost.

Fluff 3-0 @Rinzler
:setsuki::psfist::pschip::rook: Just Setsuki things this game. Ended up ramming my 6 attack into a CMB.
:setsuki::psfist::pschip::rook: Setsuki can do nasty things even when she’s on 1 hp vs 50ish hp.
:setsuki::psfist::pschip::rook: Apparently turn 1 6 stuffing K followed by turn 2 5 stuffing K is hard for Rook to recover from.

GGs!

9 Likes

You’re a monster

7 Likes

no his name is fluffiness

4 Likes

No sorry I’m not good enough at cards to play this game.

Who’s a good player to root for that doesn’t use too many cheap tactics?

6 Likes

We’re all big fans of cheap tactics here, I’m afraid. :wink:

6 Likes

All competition is based on cheap tactics to varying degrees. Also no pressure to be good. As the saying goes:

6 Likes

Root for Quince, he’s a character that’s 100% honest that doesn’t use cheap tactics at all.

8 Likes