Fantasy Strike!

Someday there will be a whole forum based on this game at fantasystrike.com, but until then, this can be our thread!

So :valerie: is so goddamn great in this game that I don’t know how I’m ever going to main :midori:. I know I will have to have a good :midori: for teh streamz so I will have to practice him eventually but goddd :valerie: is everything I’ve ever wanted in a rushdown character.

More specifically, and this is maybe the true genius of the “simple fighting game” style, I never knew that I WAS this type of player. I always played charge characters (Honda, Guile) because my execution was pretty bad and I wasn’t able to perform really complex stuff in the first place. There will be people who didn’t know they liked grapplers but can finally actually FIND THIS OUT about themselves when they play FSFG because you can literally play any character.

It’s almost like this game is even playfield in a very different way than you’d expect. In fighting games you are typically limited by the characters you are “able” to play, and then you have to put in a set X hours of “work” into learning how they work before you can decide if you even like them. This is akin to leveling a class in World of Warcraft or something; if you get trashed on by Warlocks/Fei Long, maybe you level a Warlock/Fei Long and then realize ultimately, after 100 hours, that you didn’t like the character.

Meanwhile I played :valerie: like 4 times and said “Yeah, this is my character. I never knew I loved this.”

9 Likes

I wish I could be checking out Midori right now, he seems raaaaaad from the description!

1 Like

Yessss, I’m extremely stoked for this game, it really neatly addresses every qualm I have about modern fighting games.

Except it has no netplay, but c’est la vie. :stuck_out_tongue:

Fun fact, I originally was pulled in to the FS universe be DeGrey , but I stuck with Geiger as he was my second favorite and considerably less represented at the time. With FSFG though, I think it might be high time I return to the lawyer-man. :chibidegrey: :chibighost: He’s too much fun!

3 Likes

What platforms is the Fantasy Strike Fighting Game expected to hit? I personally only play games on PC.

I have thought about making a First Person Shooter game with her as the protagonist.

2 Likes

fsfg jaina is sooo fun

2 Likes

I’m hyped for FSFG because I get to be an annoying piece of shit all day with Jaina.

Try long ranged attack, and then, try long ranged attack.

4 Likes

[quote=“Leontes, post:1, topic:238”]
More specifically, and this is maybe the true genius of the “simple fighting game” style, I never knew that I WAS this type of player. I always played charge characters (Honda, Guile) because my execution was pretty bad and I wasn’t able to perform really complex stuff in the first place. There will be people who didn’t know they liked grapplers but can finally actually FIND THIS OUT about themselves when they play FSFG because you can literally play any character.
[/quote]This is super-true. I always used to assume I was a rushdown player, because my only hope was to mash my way to victory, so I tended to rely heavily on mixups-style rushdown. Then I discovered that I actually really like playing Jaina and Geiger and Rook and Midori. Holy cow, I can be a grappler! Or a zoner! Not having to worry about execution frees me to focus on move choice and timing.

I’ve also discovered that compared to zoning/grappling, I’m actually bad at rushdown. This was a revelation.

[quote=“mysticjuicer, post:2, topic:238, full:true”]
I wish I could be checking out Midori right now, he seems raaaaaad from the description!
[/quote]I am also still looking forward to Midori. My typical FSFG partner (Sotek) has been inconveniently sick for a week, though.

If anyone else in the south bay area wants to volunteer to get eaten by a dragon, though, that’d be raaaaad.

2 Likes

Speaking of :jaina: somebody help me because I’m bad

So I get in situations a lot where I want to do f. A into B as a punish combo if somebody does something laggy. But sometimes I’m too close to the enemy and I get a Throw instead.

This is bad because it’s only 1 damage, but also because it’s Yomi counterable. Am I just using the wrong normal to punish? Should I be using A into B in 100% of these cases? Is my spacing just bad? Should I try to whiff punish with fast air A’s instead? Plz help

Full admission that I haven’t played the character THAT much. I haven’t had to deal with this as :valerie: because she doesn’t combo off of normals well at all and her n. A is really good anyway.

Fully accept this can be a L2P issue with :jaina: but I worry about :midori:'s f. A getting full punish sometimes as well (he doesn’t do 2 damage on Throws like :rook: EDIT: Talking about Human form of course!).

Good players help plz

1 Like

I haven’t played in a while, but if you do f+A early, while you’re still in blockstun, you should be able to get it via input buffering? Unless throws can also be buffered.

ALSO if you’re doing a real punish, they shouldn’t be able to YC an accidental throw I don’t think? If they’d still in recovery by the time your attack hits them, they should also be in recovery when you throw them, since throws are 0f IIRC. I’m assuming you can’t YC while in recovery.

That is correct that you can’t YC while in recovery; but is it just an L2P thing that I find it hard to get my f. A air B punish without triggering the free throw? Probably…

I have a problem with the “trying to directional-A and instead getting a throw because I was close” thing sometimes, too. As Jaina, and as other characters.

Often, the 1 damage but KD is pretty okay. You only dealt one damage but you got KD, and at close range! You can leverage that into really scary mixups a lot of the time. Consider trying a safejump. You could divekick them into 3 damage if they don’t block, but if they do block, maybe you don’t actually divekick but land into throw. Then you can loop it! Or if they try to block and then yomi-counter when you land, you can add in land and then neutral A into your range.

But I think that as you suspect, avoiding throws when you want a directional normal is just a factor of learning spacings.

Also as discussed if you’re punishing, you can’t get yomi countered.

However! You cannot throw someone who is in blockstun. So if you try, you’ll get a directional normal 100% of the time. Most of the time this just bites me in the ass, but you can also use it to option-select (I think) if the character has a safe-on-block directional normal.

1 Like

I mean, idk. It depends on the mechanics of the game, and I don’t know exactly what they are because I only fought vs. AI a bit. It’s possible that certain things are actually impossible to punish with f+A, in which case you just need to learn what those are and do other punishes. Or hope that something gets changed.

1 Like

This is kind of an issue, yeah, mostly because if the opponent does something unsafe at 2HP you miss lethal which is pretty huge. I don’t think there is a way to get the normal punish on grounded opponents, unless you can do 5A combos, can can certainly be spaced against for most characters.

If you’re out of range for 5A combos, I think you’re out of range for throws for… a lot of characters.

My entire strategy in FSFG consists of primarily Yomi Counters. It’s the most fun thing in the game because it makes everyone feel really, really, really stupid.

4 Likes

Leontas, I use N.A > B almost all the time to punish most things with Jaina. It usually nets 2 damage and it’s safe if you don’t combo the B. You really want to use F.A to catch people out of the air when try are trying to maneuver around your Jump C and Ground B fireball game.

1 Like

I posted this in the old forums, but I’ll put it here, too. IMO it would be really cool if Valerie had a palette swap that featured bi pride colors:

11 Likes

Please, that palette would be amazing. It would be a nice show of good will to make up for having only one canonically queer character in the whole FS universe :wink:

Anyway, I just got the latest build and Midori is SO GOOD! I haven’t actually played the game against a real person yet, just the AI, but Midori is really fun to play as. Actually, everyone is!

4 Likes

KLAXON AOOGAH NEW BUILD ALERT

Valerie’s new character select/VS matchup screen pose looks great! Also she has a new Yomi counter animation that is a little silly but I kind of like it!

Setsuki has non-placeholder animations at all now!

On a scale from 1 to Couldn’t Be Better, Grave’s new Lightning Cloud visual effects score a very solid Now That’s What I’m Talking About.

Move lists! Very nice!

I’ll have more feelings to report once I can find a way for the Mac-native build to not just open as a black window for me, so I don’t have to play it in a Windows 10 VM with comparatively poor performance.

3 Likes