CAWS 2016: neigutten ([Disease]/Law/Truth) vs. Eijolend (Mono Green)

Oh wow the amount subtle nuances I’m missing in the rules is staggering… Thank you all for paying attention :slight_smile:
I fixed the gold amount and also Tiger Cub would be in my Discard Pile instead of on the field at the end of my turn.

1 Like

P2T8

StartingHand Workers

STARTING HAND
Tiny Basilisk
Forest’s Favor
Behind the Ferns
Tiny Basilisk

WORKERS
Ironbark Treant
Verdant Tree
Rich Earth
Spore Shambler
Merfolk Prospector

NextHand

Playful Panda
Moment’s Peace
Tyrannosaurus Rex
Tyrannosaurus Rex

Discard

Rampant Growth
Murkwood Allies
Centaur
Tiger Cub
Forest’s Favor
Tiny Basilisk
Behind the Ferns

Tech 0 card(s)
Draw a Card from Technician
Get Paid + float + Scavenger - ($13)
Calamandra casts Forest’s Favor on Calamandra - ($11)
Calamandra 3->5 - ($9)
Calamandra kills Quince taking 1 damage.
Argagarg kills Mirror Illusion. You get 1 gold.
Tiny Basilisk - ($7)

Float ($7)
Discard 2, draw 4

[B]Board Info:[/B]
[B]In Patrol:[/B]

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]:
  • :psfist: [I]Elite[/I]:
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]: Tiny Basilisk (1/2)
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]:
  • :target: [I]Lookout[/I]:
    [B]In Play:[/B]
  • Argagarg Lvl.5 (1/5)
  • Calamandra Lvl.5 (5/5) x
    [B]Buildings:[/B]
  • :heart: Base HP: 17
  • :heart: Tech I HP: 2
  • :heart: Tech II HP: 2 (Balance)
  • :heart: Tech III HP: 2
  • :heart: Heroes’ Hall HP: 1

[B]Economy Info:[/B]
[B]Cards:[/B]

• Hand: 4
  • Deck: 0
  • Disc: 7
    [B]Gold:[/B]
  • Gold: 7
  • Workers: 10

[details=Thoughts]
I guess it comes down to whether he drew Death and Decay again or not…
I also guess I could have killed Orpal using Calamandra’s Stealth, but that again opens another avenue of attack if he has something nice to mirror in his hand…[/details]

1 Like

P1T9

StartingHand Workers

STARTING HAND
Carrion Curse
Sacrifice the Weak
Death and Decay
Sickness
Injunction

WORKERS
Pestering Haunt
Skeletal Archery
Summon Skeletons
Skeleton Javelineer
Deteriorate
Community Service
Graveyard
Sacrifice the Weak

NextHand

Thieving Imp
Spreading Plague
Spreading Plague
Sickness
Poisonblade Rogue

Discard

Death and Decay
Injunction
Sickness
Carrion Curse

Tech 0 card(s)
Scavanger bonus - ($1)
Get Paid - ($12)
Worker - ($11)
Death and Decay - ($3)

• All your buildings are now gone, and your base has 6hp left if I am correct (17-3, and then 8 for 4 buildings)
  • Tiny Basilisk gets it, and both Calamandra and Argagarg gets -3/-3
    Orpal Gloor deals a mortal blow to Calamandra, taking two damage himself.
    Bigby Hayes - ($1)

Float ($1)
Discard 3, draw 5

• :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]:
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]: Bigby Hayes 2/3
  • Orpal Gloor Lv6 2/3
  • :heart: Base HP: 20
  • :heart: Tech I HP: 5
  • :heart: Heroes’ Hall HP: 4

• Hand: 5
  • Deck: 4
  • Disc: 4
  • Gold: 1
  • Workers: 12

Ugh I had feared you might draw it again… Let’s see if there is anything I can do to salvage this mess.

P2T9

Tech StartingHand Workers

TECH
Stampede

STARTING HAND
Playful Panda
Tyrannosaurus Rex
Moment’s Peace
Tyrannosaurus Rex

WORKERS
Ironbark Treant
Verdant Tree
Rich Earth
Spore Shambler
Merfolk Prospector
Moment’s Peace

NextHand

Tiger Cub
Tyrannosaurus Rex
Tiny Basilisk
Stampede

Tech 1 card(s)
Get Paid + float + Scavenger - ($17)
Worker - ($16)
Rebuild Tech I
Playful Panda - ($14)
Surplus - ($9)

Float ($9)
Discard 2, reshuffle, draw 4

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Argagarg Lvl.5 (1/5+A)
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]: Wisp (0/1)
  • Playful Panda (2/2)
  • :heart: Base HP: 6
  • :heart: Surplus HP: 4

• Hand: 4
  • Deck: 7
  • Disc: 0
  • Gold: 9
  • Workers: 11
1 Like

I figured I would need something than your tech 1 units if I was supposed to win :wink:

P1T10

StartingHand Workers

STARTING HAND
Spreading Plague
Sickness
Thieving Imp
Poisonblade Rogue
Spreading Plague

WORKERS
Pestering Haunt
Skeletal Archery
Summon Skeletons
Skeleton Javelineer
Deteriorate
Community Service
Graveyard
Sacrifice the Weak

NextHand

Judgement Day
Death and Decay
Carrion Curse
Spreading Plague
Community Service

Tech 0 card(s)
Get Paid + float - ($13)
Sickness - ($11)

• Targets Argagarg and Wisp
  • When Wisp dies, it triggers Orpal maxband, and I target the Playful Panda with another -1/-1 rune
    Spreading Plague - ($7)
  • Argagarg and Playful Panda dies
  • Bigby Hayes levels up to lv 3
    Level up Bigby Hayes to lv 5 - ($5)
    Bigby and Orpal Destroy your Tech 1 building
  • Your base is now at 4

Float ($5)
Discard 3, draw 4, reshuffle, draw 1

• :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]:
  • Orpal Gloor Lv6 2/3
  • Bigby Hayes Lv 5 3/4
  • :heart: Base HP: 20
  • :heart: Heroes’ Hall HP: 4

• Hand: 5
  • Deck: 8
  • Disc: 0
  • Gold: 5
  • Workers: 12
1 Like

GG! I concede.

@EricF neigutten won this game.

Wow, this was certainly the most unique game of codex I have played so far. Will definitely have to take a look at your tech choices to better understand what happened.

For a while a was pretty certain I would win and that my economic and tech lead would be enough to carry me through this game. However, your back-to-back Carrion Curses (exactly the right tech choice, btw) left me without the card draw I needed to bring out a Tyrannosaurus Rex (or two) in time, which I think would’ve been enough to seal the game. Maybe my mistake to only rely on a single win condition.

1 Like

That was certainly an amazing game to watch! I’ve never seen anyone NEVER build Tech 1 and rely on just teching spells. I thought for most of the game it was just a way to slow down and annoy the opponent, without actually getting you close to a win - but then Death and Decay came out :open_mouth:

@neigutten - I’m intrigued, is this the “thing” your deck is designed to do, or was it something you just decided to try out of curiosity? (If so, kudos for experimenting in a “serious” game!)

2 Likes

Thanks for the game! :smiley: I was scared that your economic and tech lead was too great for me to get back from, especially since the only talk about discard-decks as “too slow”. And while they still might be too slow, maybe against something as slow as Mono-Green (or possibly Mono-Blue/Purple) they can get out a win.

As for my choices this game, I just wanted to try out my own take on a discard deck, and since Green has pretty decent tech 1 units, I figured I would get something good with Community Service. After seeing a Community Service, the idea is that you don’t want to continue to give me good units, at which point I want to discard your non-unit cards you end up teching because you don’t want to get hit with Community Service.

My gameplan with this deck is not very ironed out yet, and currently I think that maybe Quince isn’t doing much, or that I should make sure to worker up enough to get Tech 2 out so that I can play all my heroes (with heroes hall) and use mirrors more. Luckily Death and Decay is a super strong spell that helped me out in this case.

@robinz what other place to try it out than in a “serious” game! :wink:

I am unsure how experienced @Eijolend is, if other players are going to be able to punish me with a lot more efficiency later on. I am especially curious to see how this will go against someone with a more aggressive approach.

If anyone else who watched on wants to give some feedback, that would be nice ^^

4 Likes

I think by the end of the event, you’ll have a good idea of your weakness, and can pick a third spec to cover it.

1 Like

Okay looking at your tech choices and that you teched 2 copies of all the spells makes me feel much less agitated about lucky draws :wink: . It also tells me that my alternative line of play on Turn 8 using Calamandra Stealth to kill Orpal would’ve been the right decision and although my fear of the Mirror Illusion wasn’t completely unfounded, you didn’t have Community Service in hand.

Still, I probably should’ve been aware of the possibility of early Community Service, but I ran right into that one… And I think my response to T1 Thieving Imp was also not very good giving you much more board control than necessary which amplifies the effect of Community Service even further.

I’m not sure how qualified I am to give feedback seeing how I just got horribly destroyed, but if you go back and read through my thoughts you will see that I was very afraid of Injunction. The way I win this game is by getting to Tech III and drawing a Tyrannosaurus Rex. While Carrion Curse does slow the second part down, I still had two quite good chances to draw one on T7 and T8. So maybe this would work even better when getting to Tech III is also harder. I imagine teching Injunction much earlier would be a good way to create even more problems for your opponents.

1 Like

You probably would have been able to come back if you stealth-killed Orpal before I got my second Death and Decay out, and I was afraid of you having a buff and was willing to go down 2 more cards, but I bet against it from my point of view, so I guess I was lucky you didn’t! Anyways, GG! :smiley:

1 Like

@EricF in this match I only payed 2 Gold for my Heroes Hall, but it was not picked up by any bystanders like in my match against Legion just a day or so ago. Does that mean Eijolend wins instead?

I’m pretty sure your turn 5 is fine, because you paid extra for tech I. Technically the hero’s hall should have cost 3, and the tech I should have cost 1, but as you built them both in the same turn, it doesn’t really matter.

1 Like

There is an extra gold penalty the first time you build. The idea was to give you -1 starting gold, but that was deemed too harsh, so it got moved to be more under your control when to pay 1 gold for having a multi-color squad.

2 Likes