Casual - robinz [Ninjutsu]/Anarchy/Balance vs Jadiel (mono-green)

@Jadiel - GLHF! I’m expecting a good education here, because I know you’re a very strong player and I don’t really know what I’m doing with this deck yet! :smiley:

P1T1

StartingHand Workers

STARTING HAND
Savior Monk
Snapback
Fox Viper
Sensei’s Advice
Fox Primus

WORKERS
Fox Viper

NextHand

Smoker
Grappling Hook
Morningstar Flagbearer
Aged Sensei
Safe Attacking

Discard

Snapback
Savior Monk
Sensei’s Advice

Tech 0 card(s)
Get Paid - ($4)
Worker - ($3)
Fox Primus - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 3, draw 5

[B]Board Info:[/B]
[B]In Patrol:[/B]

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]:
  • :psfist: [I]Elite[/I]:
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]:
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]:
  • :target: [I]Lookout[/I]:
    [B]In Play:[/B]
  • Fox Primus (2/2, anti-air, Frenzy 1)
    [B]Buildings:[/B]
  • :heart: Base HP: 20

[B]Economy Info:[/B]
[B]Cards:[/B]

• Hand: 5
  • Deck: 0
  • Disc: 3
    [B]Gold:[/B]
  • Gold: 0
  • Workers: 5
Thoughts

I have no idea if this - or any Ninjutsu/Anarchy/X - is actually viable or not. But it’s quite a fun little combination to try out, with nice little bits of synergy between things like Zane, Chaos Mirror, Fox’s Den Students, Inverse Power Ninja, and so on. I’ve done badly with it the few times I’ve played a variation on it, because I’ve messed about with spells and Tech 1s for too long, and fell behind in the tech race. So this game I intend to build Tech 2, if not on at the earliest possible opportunity, then at least at a reasonable time. I actually think any of the 3 options are viable - Balance (which is my latest choice of 3rd spec, for both an array of fliers and the upgrade/building destruction) for a variety of strong options including fliers, Ninjutsu for the full-on Ninja synergy, plus Porcupine, and Anarchy both in case I decide to rush Tech 3, and also because their Tech 2 plays well with the general “stealthy” intent of this deck. There are a couple of crazy combos I’d love to try with Anarchy Tech 2, even though they’re clearly hard to pull off and probably a lot less realistic than just rushing Tech 3. One is Sanatorium, if I can get a max Setsuki to survive for a while (mono-green, which is easily my favourite monocolour, is unusual in having no way to straight-up remove heroes) - the other is Steam Tank, which as well as being a good defender I would love to combo with Fox’s Den School (requires a tech lab, of course) to make it invisble and get 7 base damage per turn! (If he builds a tower I should have plenty of other stealthy options to use up its detection on.) But I’ve also got to be realistic about these.

I doubt he’ll go for a Growth plan against this deck - at least not MoLaC because I have Nature Reclaims. And my stealth abilities plus Tiny Basilisk will make it hard for him to just play his BIG units. So I guess he might go for Balance Tech 2 himself - but we’ll see. I’ve seen plenty of Jadiel’s games, although not with mono-green - he’s a very strong player, while I’m still not much past beginner, so I ought to at least come up with some sort of plan early on…

As for this turn - not the greatest hand. (In general I love the white starter, although because it has so many cards that keep their value late in the game, deciding what to worker can often be a challenge.) I at first was going to play Saviour Monk, but I figured that if ever there was a good time to pay 3 for Primus it’s as P1 on T1, especially against a starter deck with no outright aggressive plays available. If he plays anything other than Spore Shambler or Ironbark Treant (or a hero) I can just kill what he plays straight away, if I judge it profitable.

I’m not sure where you got the idea I’m a strong player! I’m still learning the game just like you! I’ve never played Green, so it should be an interesting experience.

P2T1

StartingHand Workers

STARTING HAND
Young Treant
Merfolk Prospector
Rich Earth
Tiger Cub
Ironbark Treant

WORKERS
Ironbark Treant

NextHand

Playful Panda
Spore Shambler
Rampant Growth
Verdant Tree
Forest’s Favor

Discard

Tiger Cub
Young Treant
Merfolk Prospector

Tech 0 card(s)
Get Paid - ($5)
Rich Earth - ($2)
Worker
Arg - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 3, draw 5

• :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]: Wisp (0/1)
  • Rich Earth
  • L1 Arg (1/3)

• Deck: 0
  • Disc: 3
  • Workers: 6

Well, if you’re just learning you’re learning a lot better and quicker than me! I only say that because I’ve seen your tournament games, many of them being very impressive wins :smile:

Turn will hopefully follow within an hour or so - but I’m going to have to go to bed before too long (have been rather poorly today and could do with an early night).

P1T2

Tech StartingHand Workers

TECH
Tiny Basilisk
Hidden Ninja

STARTING HAND
Grappling Hook
Smoker
Aged Sensei
Morningstar Flagbearer
Safe Attacking

WORKERS
Fox Viper
Morningstar Flagbearer

NextHand

Savior Monk
Grappling Hook
Tiny Basilisk
Smoker

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($5)
Worker - ($4)
Safe Attacking - ($3)
Aged Sensei - ($2)
Primus kills Wisp, you get 1 gold
Setsuki - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 2, reshuffle, draw 4

• :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]: Aged Sensei(1/1)
  • Safe Attacking
  • lvl 1 Setsuki (1/3, costs 1 to attack)
  • Fox Primus (2/2, anti-air, Frenzy 1)

• Hand: 4
  • Deck: 3
  • Disc: 0
  • Workers: 6
Thoughts

Ah, the good old “Rich Earth + Arg” opening - although without Merfolk Prospector. But he has enough gold to max Arg next turn regardless. His Wisp stops me getting a kill - it’s a bit of a waste attacking it with Primus to get him gold, but at the same time I don’t see any really good reason not to, given that he can keep on just patrolling it in Scavenger every turn if he wants.

Since this isn’t the most threatening start from him (how could it be as Green and P2?), I’m going to try for a hero-kill. I’m teching Basilisk and HN to try for this, although there is plenty of good potential in both those cards even if I can’t line it up. My decision to go down to 4 cards by playing SA is perhaps questionable since I didn’t need it this turn - BUT it thins my deck, and next turn I may want it and am not guaranteed to draw it. Hopefully I’ll have a maxed Sets in a couple of turns and will not worry too much about card shortage!

Of I course I could play Nature Reclaims later on that Rich Earth - although it hardly seems worth the bother, because I don’t want Midori early and late in the game RE has much less value.

Setsuki, interesting. I was expecting Zane :slight_smile:

P2T2

TECH
Centaur
Centaur

STARTING HAND
Playful Panda
Rampant Growth
Verdant Tree
Spore Shambler
Forest’s Favor

WORKERS
Ironbark Treant
Verdant Tree

NextHand

Merfolk Prospector
Spore Shambler
Tiger Cub
Young Treant
Rampant Growth

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid + scav - ($7)
Worker
Arg kills Sensei, you draw
Tower - ($4)
Playful Panda - ($2)
Tech I - ($1)

Float ($1)
Discard 3, reshuffle, draw 5

• :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]: Wisp (0/1)
  • Rich Earth
  • L1 Arg (1/2)
  • Playful Panda (2/2)
  • :heart: Tech I HP: 5
  • :heart: Tower HP: 4

• Gold: 1
  • Workers: 7

lol, you know I wondered why I had so much money last turn - I only just realised I forgot to build Tech 1! I must really stop doing that :confused:

Feel free to redo your turn. Though I’ll need to redo mine - the tower was primarly because I saw Sets spells coming…

Nah, it’s OK. I should learn to live with my mistakes, anyway - and it’s not 100% clear to me this was one :slight_smile:

1 Like

PS you do realise that my Safe Attacking nullifies your tower, if I’m attacking with Tech 0/Tech 1s?

Yes, the tower is there to stop Hidden Ninja shenanigans :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

P1T3

TECH
Calypso Vystari
Tiny Basilisk

STARTING HAND
Savior Monk
Smoker
Grappling Hook
Tiny Basilisk
Hidden Ninja

WORKERS
Fox Viper
Morningstar Flagbearer
Smoker

NextHand

Aged Sensei
Grappling Hook
Tiny Basilisk
Snapback
Sensei’s Advice

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($6)
draw 1 from technician
worker - ($5)
Tech 1 - ($3)
Setsuki kills Wisp, taking 1 damage from the tower. You draw.
Primus kills Arg, taking 1 damage (Arg+tower-armour). Sets to level 3.
Setsuki to midband, healing - ($2)
Saviour Monk - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 3, draw 2, reshuffle, draw 3

• :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]: Savior Monk (2/2, healing 1)
  • Safe Attacking
  • lvl 4 Setsuki (2/3, costs 1 to attack)
  • Fox Primus (2/1, anti-air, Frenzy 1)

• Workers: 7
Thoughts

Curious - he correctly predicts that I might have teched Hidden Ninja, but then patrols in such a way that I don’t actually need it to kill Arg! So presumably he’s OK with what I’ve done - but on the other hand letting Arg live seems a bad idea, and free levels on Sets is very good, so I’m also quite happy :slight_smile:

HN is not wasted, of course - for a start it gives me 2 stealthy units/heroes, and the Tower can only detect the first. But there was still no need to spend 2 gold on it this turn.

SM is in Scavenger because even in SQL he could get a kill with either Forest’s Favour or Rampant Growth - and I feel more limited by gold than cards at the moment, particularly if I can get a maxed Sets soon. Am teching more tech 1s for now, but I’m thinking I might try to exploit my favourable board position by going Tech 2 Anarchy, then rushing Tech 3 and gunships - just as Shax did against me in our recent league game. And I have plenty of other good Tech 2 and spell options if the Tech 3 rush isn’t feasible.

Since he likely expected Arg to die, I’d not be surprised if he’s teched spells for one of his other heros - most likely Calamandra. Behind the Ferns and Ferocity could both be a little scary here - especially Ferns (if he has that plus FF/RG then the Panda can take out Sets). But I’m still relatively happy at the moment :slight_smile:

P2T3

TECH
Blooming Ancient
Murkwood Allies

STARTING HAND
Merfolk Prospector
Spore Shambler
Rampant Growth
Tiger Cub
Young Treant
Centaur

WORKERS
Ironbark Treant
Verdant Tree
Young Treant

NextHand

Rampant Growth
Murkwood Allies
Spore Shambler
Forest’s Favor
Centaur

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid + float - ($8)
Worker
Centaur - ($5)
Playful Panda trades with Savior Monk, you get 1g
Tech II Growth - ($1)
Merfolk Prospector - ($0)

Float ($0)

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Centaur (3/4+A)
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]: Merfolk Prospector (1/1)
  • Rich Earth
  • :heart: Tech II - Growth HP: 5

• Deck: 2
  • Workers: 8

P1T4

TECH
Fox’s Den Students
Fox’s Den Students

STARTING HAND
Snapback
Sensei’s Advice
Aged Sensei
Tiny Basilisk
Grappling Hook

WORKERS
Fox Viper
Morningstar Flagbearer
Smoker
Grappling Hook

NextHand

Hidden Ninja
Sensei’s Advice
Tiny Basilisk
Calypso Vystari

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid + scavenger - ($8)
Worker - ($7)
Tiny Basilisk - ($5)
Fox Primus suicides into Centaur, destroying the armour and doing 2 damage
Setsuki swiftly kills Centaur, still taking 1 damage from the tower
Setsuki to max, healing - ($3)
Aged Sensei - ($2)

Float ($2)
Discard 2, draw 3, reshuffle, draw 1

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Aged Sensei (1/1+1A)
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]: Tiny Basilisk (1/2+1A, deathtouch)
  • Safe Attacking
  • max Setsuki (3/4, costs 1 to attack)

• Hand: 4
  • Deck: 5
  • Gold: 2
  • Workers: 8
Thoughts

Tech 2 Growth, eh? I seem to recall saying earlier I didn’t think he’d go for that. I think it’s more likely that he goes the Blooming Ancient/Blooming Elm route than MoLaC, which I should be well-placed to stop activating.

I’m still quite happy with how the game is going. For a start, he can’t kill Sets, being unable to get past my patrollers (yes he could use Ferns, but he needs 4 attack - and a spare gold! - to kill Sets and then Ferns won’t work, given that he only has the Prospector to attack with). That means that unless I’m very unlucky (remember that HN draws me a card) I should get FDS next turn - in fact, I have a decent chance of 2 of them! I’ve also got HN on the Basilisk to destroy any hero or important unit he plays. Yes he has a tower, but it should be well overloaded by the amount of stealth I’m going to have next turn. And it doesn’t even do damage to things it can’t see!

Of course I couldn’t do all this and still have enough money for tech 2 - so that will wait for another turn (or even 2). I’m clearly no longer “rushing” gunships - but I may still go down that route if I can get enough protection. Meanwhile I’m not committed to anarchy - Ninjutsu and Balance may end up being better tech 2 choices. (And I can always tech lab for a gunship later if I want.)

P2T4

TECH
Blooming Ancient
Blooming Elm

STARTING HAND
Centaur
Forest’s Favor
Spore Shambler
Murkwood Allies
Rampant Growth

WORKERS
Ironbark Treant
Verdant Tree
Young Treant
Forest’s Favor

NextHand

Centaur
Blooming Elm
Tiger Cub
Blooming Ancient
Spore Shambler

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($8)
Worker
Calamandra - ($6)
Murkwood Allies - ($1)
Merfolk Prospector - ($2)

Float ($2)

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Frog (1/1+A)
  • :psfist: [I]Elite[/I]: Frog (2/1)
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]: Frog (1/1)
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]: Calamandra (2/3)
  • Rich Earth
  • Merfolk Prospector (1/1)
  • Frog (1/1)
  • :heart: Tech II HP: 5 (Growth)

• Deck: 4
  • Gold: 2
  • Workers: 9

Have you lost a card from your deck somewhere? (Most likely I guess by deleting a killed unit instead of moving it to your discard pile.) You ought to have 12 cards total at the end of T4, and I only see 11 (5 in hand, 4 in deck and Rich Earth + Prospector on the board). It looks like you were wrong on T3 too - although not on T2.

In any case, here’s my turn:

P1T5

TECH
Steam Tank
Chaos Mirror

STARTING HAND
Calypso Vystari
Hidden Ninja
Tiny Basilisk
Sensei’s Advice
Savior Monk
Fox Primus
Snapback

WORKERS
Fox Viper
Morningstar Flagbearer
Smoker
Grappling Hook
Fox Primus

NextHand

Hidden Ninja
Fox’s Den Students
Chaos Mirror
Aged Sensei
Fox’s Den Students

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid + float - ($10)
draw 2 from Setsuki’s maxband
Setsuki casts Hidden Ninja on Tiny Basilisk and herself, giving them stealth. I draw a card. - ($8)
worker - ($7)
Tiny Basilisk, detected by the tower, kills SQL Frog, taking 1 damage
stealthy Setsuki, NOT seen by the tower, swifty kills Calamandra, taking no damage. You draw.
play a second Tiny Basilisk - ($5)
Calypso Vystari - ($4)
Tech 2 Anarchy - ($0)
Aged Sensei trades with Elite Frog

Float ($0)

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Calypso Vystari (2/2+1A)
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]: Tiny Basilisk (1/2, Deathtouch
  • Safe Attacking
  • max Setsuki (3/4, costs 1 to attack)
  • Tiny Basilisk (1/1, deathtouch)

• :heart: Tech II HP: 5 (Anarchy)

• Deck: 4
  • Workers: 9
Thoughts

Would you believe it? I drew a total of 7 cards (4 originall hand, 2 from Sets maxband effect, and one from HN), leaving exactly 2 in my deck. And would you believe it, the cards left are BOTH my copies of FDS!

Can’t complain too much though. I got to kill his Calamandra (although sadly I didn’t get to benefit from the free levels), and 2 of his frogs - while giving myself a reasonable patrol zone, including my second basilisk. Since once again he can’t possibly get through to Sets (at least not without a LOT of buff spells in the same hand), I get to play TWO copies of FDS next turn. That’s enough to break a tech building, or do a minimum 7 damage to his base.

Meanwhile I’ve built Tech 2 Anarchy, to prepare for gunships and allow me to bring Zane and his Chaos Mirror into the equation. I hope I’ll be too fast for him, but let’s see. He might be going for a MoLaC plan after all, so I’ve made sure to kill as much of his stuff as possible. If he drops MoLaC next turn he’ll only get to do 3 attacks, and I should be able to clear up a lot of the other units he has. Although unless I redraw HN I won’t have a stealthy basilisk to kill a rhinoceros or Blooming Ancient. (Well, I did - AND CM. Unless he has a “hail mary” to kill Sets this turn should be a lot of fun. Although I am lacking in gold to do everything I want :frowning: )

Yes, you’re right I deleted Playful Panda when I traded with Saviour Monk instead of putting it in discard :blush:

How do you want to resolve it? I can replay my T4, or I can add it to my discard and redraw my hand for turn 5

I don’t mind. Strictly speaking, you should redo T4, because the Panda should have been in your deck when you reshuffled at the end of T3. But I don’t want to have to go back a couple of turns, especially as this isn’t a tournament game.

Perhaps the best compromise is to redraw your T5 hand, but adding the Panda to your deck just before (because that’s where it would have been if you simply hadn’t drawn it yet that cycle). But I’m happy to go with whatever you want :slight_smile:

Ok, that’s a good idea. Let’s assume Panda was on the bottom of my deck. Sorry for the error, I should be paying more attention…

1 Like

P2T5

TECH
Might of Leaf and Claw
Behind the Ferns

STARTING HAND
Blooming Ancient
Tiger Cub
Playful Panda
Blooming Elm
Centaur
Spore Shambler

WORKERS
Ironbark Treant
Verdant Tree
Young Treant
Forest’s Favor
Spore Shambler

NextHand

Centaur
Blooming Ancient
Murkwood Allies
Rampant Growth

Discard

Tiger Cub
Centaur
Might of Leaf and Claw
Behind the Ferns

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid + float - ($11)
Blooming Ancient - ($7)
Arg, gain a wisp and 2 runes - ($5)
Playful Panda, gain a wisp and 2 runes - ($3)
Blooming Elm - ($0)
Prospector - ($1)
Move all 4 runes to a frog
Frog (now 5/5 Overpower) kills Vystari, and overpowers to Scav basilisk
Other frog trades with (1/1) basilisk
Worker

Float ($1)
Discard 2, draw 4

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: L1 Arg (1/3+A)
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]: Wisp (0/1)
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]: Wisp (0/1)
  • Rich Earth
  • Merfolk Prospector (1/1)
  • Frog (5/3 with 4 +1/+1 runes)
  • Blooming Elm: 4
  • Playful Panda (2/2)
  • Blooming Ancient (2/4)
  • :heart: Tech II HP: 5 (Growth)