Casual - robinz [Ninjutsu]/Anarchy/Balance vs Jadiel (mono-green)

Yikes, Growth Tech 2 is insane if you let it get going. And I could easily have broken your Tech 2 last turn had I not been stupidly unlucky with my draws. I had been mildly confident of a win - now I think I’m probably going to concede in a turn or two.

I’ve managed to take out your two biggest threats this turn (at the considerable cost of skipping a worker), but I still have to basically hope your next hand is all crud :frowning:

P1T6

Tech StartingHand Workers

TECH
Chameleon Lizzo
Surprise Attack

STARTING HAND
Fox’s Den Students
Fox’s Den Students
Hidden Ninja
Chaos Mirror
Aged Sensei
Snapback
Savior Monk
Sensei’s Advice

WORKERS
Fox Viper
Morningstar Flagbearer
Smoker
Grappling Hook
Fox Primus

NextHand

Surprise Attack
Calypso Vystari
Tiny Basilisk
Fox’s Den Students
Steam Tank

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid + scavenger - ($10)
draw 2 from Sets maxband
Fox’s Den Students - 4 hasty, stealthy ninjas appear - ($6)
Hidden Ninja on Sets - I draw a card - ($4)
Sensei’s Advice on 2 Ninjas, giving them +1 ATK and +1 armour this turn - ($3)
one unbuffed ninja is seen by the tower, and suicides into Arg
the other unbuffed ninja suicides into Blooming Ancient
stealthy Sets swift strikes Blooming Ancient to death
the two last, buffed, Ninjas destroy your Blooming Elm
Savior Monk - ($1)
Aged Sensei - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 3, draw 1, reshuffle, draw 4

[B]Board Info:[/B]
[B]In Patrol:[/B]

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Savior Monk (2/2+1A)
  • :psfist: [I]Elite[/I]:
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]: Aged Sensei (1/1)
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]:
  • :target: [I]Lookout[/I]:
    [B]In Play:[/B]
  • Safe Attacking
  • max Setsuki (3/4, costs 1 to attack)
  • ninja (1/1)
  • ninja (1/1)
    [B]Buildings:[/B]
  • :heart: Base HP: 20
  • :heart: Tech I HP: 5
  • :heart: Tech II HP: 5 (Anarchy)

[B]Economy Info:[/B]
[B]Cards:[/B]

• Hand: 5
  • Deck: 7
  • Disc: 0
    [B]Gold:[/B]
  • Gold: 0
  • Workers: 9
Thoughts

Once again, confidence turns to despair. Growth ramps up crazily in just one turn! And all due to the foul luck of having both my FDS’s right on the bottom of the deck.

I’ve managed to take out the two most serious threats - but I couldn’t get rid of that oversized 5/3 Frog, nor of course could I do anything to take down is Tech 2. If he has just ONE buff spell (pretty likely with Arg in play), he can clear my patrollers with Panda and Arg (or a Wisp), then said Frog breaks my Tech 2 :frowning: (Or trades with Sets, but the Tech 2 is much more likely.) And if he has another Ancient and/or Elm in hand, I will just fall massively behind in any case.

I couldn’t build Tech 3 here because with his overpower and masses more runes to come, he’d just have smashed that AND done a lot more damage besides. I’ve got to hope his hand is basically full of crud this turn, but that’s not too likely. I mean, he could play another Ancient and then Murkwood Allies again. And I dread to think what will happen if he drops a MoLaC now…

[details=QuestionForPostGame]
On T5, did you forget that Tiny Basilisk was unstoppable by Tech 0 units? You could have had the (revealed by tower) basilisk take out Calamandra, and have Sets take out Merfolk, or hit a building for 3. The rest of that turn looked solid.
[/details]

1 Like

That’s unfortunate. I think if you had taken out my Tech II building on T5 that might have been game…

P2T6

StartingHand Workers

STARTING HAND
Rampant Growth
Murkwood Allies
Blooming Ancient
Centaur

WORKERS
Ironbark Treant
Verdant Tree
Young Treant
Forest’s Favor
Spore Shambler

NextHand

Centaur
Centaur
Murkwood Allies
Tiger Cub

Tech 0 card(s)
Get Paid + float - ($11)
Blooming Ancient - ($7)
Calamandra, gain a rune - ($5)
Murkwood Allies, gain 4 runes - ($0)
Prospect - ($1)
Give a rune to Playful Panda
Playful Panda kills Savior Monk
Arg kills Aged Sensei, you get a gold
Give 4 runes to a Wisp
Buffed Wisp kills Sets, Arg to L3 - ($0)
Buffed Frog kills your Tech II, your base to 18

Float ($0)
Discard 2, reshuffle, draw 4

[B]Board Info:[/B]
[B]In Patrol:[/B]

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Frog (1/1+A)
  • :psfist: [I]Elite[/I]: Frog (2/1)
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]: Frog (1/1)
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]: Frog (1/1)
  • :target: [I]Lookout[/I]:
    [B]In Play:[/B]
  • Rich Earth
  • Merfolk Prospector (1/1)
  • Frog (5/3 with 4 +1/+1 runes)
  • Blooming Ancient (2/4)
  • Playful Panda (3/1 with a +1/+1 rune)
  • L3 Arg (1/4)
  • Wisp (4/2 with 4 +1/+1 runes)
  • Wisp (0/1)
    [B]Buildings:[/B]
  • :heart: Base HP: 20
  • :heart: Tech I HP: 5
  • :heart: Tech II HP: 5 (Growth)
  • :heart: Tower HP: 4

[B]Economy Info:[/B]
[B]Cards:[/B]

• Hand: 4
  • Deck: 5
  • Disc: 0
    [B]Gold:[/B]
  • Gold: 0
  • Workers: 10

The most annoying thing is that I’m now pretty sure I still could. (I assume this is what @ARMed_Pirate’s question is about - I haven’t looked yet, but seeing him direct something at me made be go back and check.) There’s no excuse for me missing it - I think I was both annoyed at BOTH my copies of FDS being on the bottom of the deck, and being too complacent about how the game was going.

Anyway, I’m going to concede here. I thought I was probably losing Tech 2, but with Sets dead too I have no way back. GG!

EDIT: OK, that wasn’t his question. Actually, I did forget that Basilisk was unstoppable by Tech 0s! And I’ve just realised I’d forgotten about your tower, so my sudden thought that HN+Advice would have allowed me to break Tech 2 is not correct anyway. Glad I didn’t miss somethimg embarassingly easy after all (I think).

1 Like

As sad as it was to see the ninjas go down, it was pretty glorious to see both of the bloomers working in synergy. Wow.

1 Like

GG, WP. It sucks when ultimates defy the odds of probability. I’ve been stung by that before! I think I made a lot of mistakes that game. I don’t think playing Arg on my opening turn was the right thing to do, and I should have teched Tiny Basilisks on T2. Green has almost no ways to deal with heroes…

I’m not sure the Rich Earth line was great either. I thought it would let me ramp up into a strong midgame, but actually it just gave you complete board control and meant that I was at the mercy of your draw to get back in! My tower also wasn’t nearly as effective at dealing with your stealth as I hoped, not sure what I could have done about that though…

Yeah, I knew you had no way to deal with heroes other than in combat - which is a pleasant change from having to dodge Origin Stories and Doom Grasps! I also knew that your tower wouldn’t be so effective given the sheer number of stealthy units I’d have from FDS. Monogreen is actually probably one of the easier matchups for my deck, I suspect.

I definitely made a mistake in teching Chaos Mirror on T5. FDS+CM is kind of the combo this deck is built around - but by going Growth Tech 2 (and not bothering with the Oversized Rhino, quite correctly) you denied me good targets for it. I need to tech Inverse Power Ninja myself to get value out of it - but then I had so much on the board early on it might have been hard to keep her alive!

I was definitely surprised you allowed me as much board control as you did early on. (I expected you to max Arg on T2 to get the Elemental - I thought this was a relatively standard Green opening, although it’s not one that I’ve tried yet, I’m more of a Calamandra fan than Arg, although Arg is undoubtedly insanely good for his cost.) There have been SO MANY games recently where I’ve been in some sort of control early on but failed to close out the win and ended up losing - and this is probably the most dramatic example!

1 Like

And only now I remember that it is also unattackable by tech 0s - which means you couldn’t trade your Frog for it on T5, as you did. If I’d had a basilisk to play HN on on T6 (to take out Ancient in one shot) I might have been able to achieve rather more (although still not enough to break both Blooming Elm AND Tech 2, which was basically my only way back at that point).

Hmmm, I couldn’t have killed either of your basilisks then. But I would have traded the prospector for Sets, so the game would have been very different…

ETA: Prospector and 1/1 Frog suicide into Vystari, and then 5/5 Frog finishes her and Overpowers into Sets, in case it wasn’t obvious…

No, the first kill was legit. You attacked Vystari, and merely overpowered on to the basilisk without having to attack it.

I just looked at the rules, and I don’t think so. Overpower says ‘hits something else this could attack’. Frog can’t attack Tiny Basilisk, so it can’t Overpower on to it. But it can Overpower on to Sets…

ETA: I should also say Sorry for cheating! (Again!) Like I said, it’s my first time playing green…

2 Likes

Good point, I think you’re right (even though I hadn’t thought of it like that before).