[Yomi Tournament] IYL 5

Dreadlands R2 - MR vs Shamusj 3-1

:grave::pschip::psfist::troq: the bull again! I took him down to around 20hp then he smash me with the beast!
:grave::psfist::pschip::troq: Better start for me, good hands and go
:grave::psfist::pschip::setsuki: now the ninja! we both had power hands! 3rd round I got slashed by 4 aces attack, but next round martial mastery and dodge into tpos!
:grave::psfist::pschip::setsuki: He took me dow to 25, then desperation dodge into tpos! luckly no joker around!

Hyper tense! really good games @shamusj

5 Likes

The Dreadlands Round 2

@BD_Corro vs @Corroyeur

BD Corro wins 3-1

:setsuki::psfist::pschip::onimaru: - First game I play a pretty conservative sets range and it does the job
:setsuki::pschip::psfist::onimaru: - I land a couple of hits early game but Corryeur gets 2 massive blue bursts and then proceeds to beat me down to 9 health before I decide to start playing crazy and just doing whatever would get his health down the quickest i get a couple of BOT loops away from doing it but then he goes for a super brave throw and closes it out
:setsuki::psfist::pschip::onimaru: - Pretty clean game he plays more offensive here but just ends up getting outsped and dodged a lot as a result
:setsuki::psfist::pschip::onimaru: - I make a radical range shift towards throwing this game and he struggles to deal with it, that combined with needing to FA through a Q on what was already a low hand was enough to seal the deal

ggs was fun

3 Likes

Flagstone City

Niijima-San vs. Thelo

Setsuki => Troq
Setsuki => Troq
Setsuki => Troq

Honorable combat concluded.

2 Likes

CKR over @FaceOnMars 3-0

Morningstar Sanctuary

:chibizane:>:chibigwen:
:chibizane:>:chibigwen:
:chibizane:>:chibivendetta:

ggs.

2 Likes

I should’ve let this guy forfeit after missing our scheduled match. lol :grin: Honestly, I have no answer for Zane at this time unless I draw the cards I need to play confidently. wp. congrats.

I forgot to mention, didn’t I beat the shit out of you because you were forced to play an undead character in NFTT?

Edit: In all the drama forgot to mention:
IYL5 Week 3 FaceOnMars vs CKR
CKR wins 3-0

:gwen::pschip::psfist::zane:
:gwen::pschip::psfist::zane:
:vendetta::pschip::psfist::zane:

I suck…

2 Likes

Learn Oni or Troq. Either of them make him their proverbial female dog.

Pick carefully, though, as one choice will leave you hated and shunned by the community for playing him.
Orange Crush, on the other hand, is super tasty and loved by everyone.

1 Like

I apologize for the being late to inform you that I wouldn’t be able to make our match. As an interesting aside, I have built my own computers for many years. Nobody around me had any interest in my hobby until recently. I was asked to build a mining rig. (Cryptomania is real) I thought, sure how hard could it be to build.

Well, the night I was to play my Yomi match. I was building a rig for an individual. This one had 2 GTX 1080 Tis and 2 GTX 1070s. This individual had quite a bit of cash invested. For some reason, windows would not update to the correct version and the nvidia driver would not install unless windows was updated.

I had a very upset person standing over me for about five hours, while I tried to fix the problem with a 200KB internet connection. Everything was taking forever. I happened to glance at my watch, and I saw that I was fifteen minutes late for my Yomi match. I was already agitated, and now I was going to miss out and potentially go 0-2 to start the season. I quickly went to the forums to update the conversation to let FaceOnMars know that I couldn’t make it.

In the end, I finished the rig by bringing it to my house because the internet connection is much swifter. Fortunately, @FaceOnMars was willing to re-schedule, and I had a dominant showing with Zane. This was a pretty satisfying end to my week.

As to the question about how to handle Zane. I would recommend four characters:

• Setsuki (Outright Setsuki speed domination, 5 throw, Max Anarchy, and risky duffs are Zane’s best options). I know you about puked when I mentioned her to you after the match, but she must be mentioned.

• Onimaru (Outstanding options to beat meaties and he can crush throws and blocks, and Final Authority stops even the most Maximum of Anarchy)

• Troq (See historical matchup chart, Troq smash)

• Rook (Similar to Troq, not quite as fast attacks, and can’t dodge into super)

I repress all memories of losses. Maybe it happened, but that is not my reality.:sunglasses:

8 Likes

Sorry you had such a frustrating workday and thanks for rescheduling. I would always rather have the chance to play and lose than to not play. Sincerely, and again, congratulations, well played.

I only meant in jest that I should have let you forfeit. Even losing, I had a fun set even if it was a little desperate counterpicking to Ven who fares worse in the matchup.

I only mentioned beating you in NFTT because I got to play my favorite character Ven, while everyone else was forced to play chars which may have been unfamiliar to them. I actually did pretty good in that one.

Hope to play again in the future.:grinning:

5 Likes

Slightly off topic but two 1080 ti’s and two 1070s in the one PC? HOLY CRAP!

Is he planning on playing Doom, Farcry 5, Total War: Warhammer and folding protein strings all at the same time?!

3 Likes

Nope. I’m maining mostly Gwen for now 'cause I like it. Only when falling to the ground, whimpering in fetal position, will I resort to Vendetta. Where she guides me down into the still, quiet, blackness.

I’m also having fun learning Lum lately. Honkey Tonk piano and Saloon girls!

5 Likes

Flagstone City
flagrantangles win 3-2 versus @Hobusu
:quince: :psfist::pschip: :degrey: - Canon battle. The feisty barrister can’t resist the charms of Flagstone’s Chief Magistrate. Real talk, Hobusu caught me with a combo in the beginning but then I got Positive Spin and was able to use the Vortex to victory.
:quince: :pschip::psfist: :setsuki: - I felt like I was doing alright until surprise ACES. Little did I know this would turn into a theme.
:quince: :psfist::pschip: :setsuki: - Did I mention that Setsuki has a lot of Aces?! Also, get 10-thrown twice in a row. Once SOTF triggers, I tax attacks and throw and I undercut another 10-throw. SO MANY CALLOUTS.
:quince: :pschip::psfist: :setsuki: - DID SHE ORDER THESE ACES FROM AMAZON IN BULK?! I get hit with two combos in the beginning that are finished off with Surprise Gift. I WOULD LIKE TO RETURN THESE GIFTS.
:quince: :psfist::pschip: :setsuki: - This time I start off with 2 Aces, 3 6’s, a Jack, and a 7. I open with the 7-throw and undercut his 9-throw, power up 2 of the 6’s to get a fully loaded CotG in hand and then spin the J. He attacks into it and I retaliate with CotG leaving him at 33 health. I had drawn a K so I spin that and then I am blessed with a 2 Truths. I use it and it’s uncountered so I snatch a 67J and draw 2 7’s off the top. I make a pile of 6J and 777. He gives me the 777 and then I spin the K and dodges. I throw him and combo into 67. Unfortunately his JOKER makes an appearance. After that I decide to 7-throw since my hand is checkmated to attacks. I manage to snatch him up and then I spin the Q I drew and get beaten out by his Q since I didn’t have a block or dodge to use. After that I flounder for a bit until I manage to dodge an attack into Q++ for lethal!

GGs Hobusu! I had a delightful time! You’re a peach and I wish you luck in your next IYL matches!

12 Likes

Pandalands

Zqxx v @sharpobject
2-3

:setsuki::psfist::pschip::gloria:
:setsuki::psfist::pschip::gloria:
:setsuki::pschip::psfist::gloria:
:setsuki::pschip::psfist::gloria:
:setsuki::pschip::psfist::gloria: (Turn 2 Sun and Moon more or less ends this game before it could even begin. :sweat:)

After two games where I ran away with the victory, you adjusted very well to my Setsuki play and convincingly closed out the next three for a win. Very well-played!

My apologies, sharpobject, for being kind of a downer in the post-match banter. I was just frustrated because Gloria gets on my nerves; because I felt bad about playing Setsuki; and because throwing away my lead in game 3 was just unfortunate.

You asked why I didn’t play Midori. While it’s true he has too high variance, I mostly did not pick him because I expected you to counter-pick with Geiger as you did the last time we played. Setsuki does well against either Gloria or Geiger, so I chose to give in and play her.

Anyways, congratulations on the win! Best of luck in the rest of the tournament!

8 Likes

It’s scary to fight against an RPS-heavy opponent with better combat options. Sometimes I pretend RPS isn’t real, and then I end up getting hit by @Alhazard’s meaty TPOS 2 games in a row or @zqxx’s meaty throw 3 combats in a row. So eventually I have to play RPS I guess.

Thanks for the games. I really thought I would lose in game 3 D:

6 Likes

Dreadlands

Shax vs @Ivan
Shax wins 3-2!
:chibivalerie::psfist::pschip::valerie: I drew 4 bos and he drew 3. Still kinda close but with some very entertaining BoS showdowns. I bursted twice on a 4 normal vs his K bursted once. He then faced down a joker and I let it be. He later won a 7T vs 9T bos showdown.
:valerie::pschip::psfist::degrey: This went alright until the lawyer did his “damage from nowhere” trick and my life bar plummeted. I also poked his ace dodge twice thinking it would be to obvious to throw and then bluffed my joker instead of actually playing it. He didn’t respect my face downs so I took a ton of unnecessary damage.
:troq::psfist::pschip::degrey: This was a butt clincher as I won with only 3 hp. I noticed that he was very aware of K throw and would play against it 80% of the time. So I undercut a 5 with a 4 normal into AA.
:troq::pschip::psfist::geiger: cp time and I didn’t perform well. Almost was a perfect until I started spamming face cards.
:persephone::psfist::pschip::geiger: mmmmmmm Mistress :heart:

Respect and GG!

6 Likes

Dreadlands

Shax vs @neigutten
Shax wins 3-2!
:valerie::psfist::pschip::vendetta: Ven huh? I’m fine with abusing speed advantages.
:valerie::psfist::pschip::vendetta: Still ok with it.
:valerie::pschip::psfist::vendetta: Props to him for sticking it out, and double props for getting something going. HE starts K looping me like crazy.
:valerie::pschip::psfist::vendetta: In either this match or the last one I get the idea to throw like crazy and I get eaten alive by pokes.
:valerie::psfist::tired_face::vendetta: I block at least twice as often and it works. Big hand val means big damage. Perfect.

Respect and GG!

5 Likes

The fourth match was crazy close, abs and we both ended up at 2 cards each one round before the end :stuck_out_tongue:

Last round I didn’t dare throw with me two kings, and it got me perfected. Woops ^^

Gg! :smiley:

3 Likes

Pandalands

CCC vs @Zejety

3-1?

:valerie: > :gwen:
:valerie: > :gwen:
:valerie: < :gwen: (We ran into a speed bug that made me lose combat for like 30+ damage, but since I won the set anyway, we’re still counting it. @vengefulpickle , we need a tournament ruling on bugs, otherwise we don’t know how to resolve them if they might have caused a change to who wins a round or set.)
:argagarg: > :gwen:

ggs, Zejety well played

3 Likes

As @sharpobject pointed out in the other thread you posted this in (and @Zejety knows from asking about it on Discord), there’s a ruling on Burst of Speed vs Chillbane in the Official FAQ. TL;DR, it wasn’t a bug.

6 Likes

Flooffiness 3 - 0 @Hydro
Flagstone City Week 2

:bbb::psfist::pschip::argagarg:

GGs HyDrO

6 Likes

Huh. Weird.

2 Likes