[Yomi Tournament] IYL 5

The wait is over! International Yomi League, Season 5 is starting tomorrow, June 4!

Your hosts: @vengefulpickle and @Zqxx

We’ve got an excellent turn out, a total of 51 people, spread across 4 divisions. That means we’ll play for 13 weeks for the regular season, from June 4 to Sept 9, with play-ins starting Sept 3, and the Yomi Bowl itself will be the week of Oct 1.

@Leontes and @MadKing have volunteered to stream, so let’s try and schedule matches on Saturday evenings to give them a nice solid set of matches to commentate!

You’ll also be able to keep on top of all of the scheduled matches by following @IntlYomiLeague on Twitter, or adding the IYL5 calendar to your calendar.

Please remember, IYL is a league for everybody; we want as many players to enjoy the thrill of competitive Yomi in a safe environment without fear of repercussions or not being able to fulfill the moderate time commitment it requires.

We do, however, reserve the right as Tournament Organizers to step in and resolve conflicts in any way we see fit after consulting advice from the rest of the team. We aim to stop collusion and toxicity whenever possible, and there is really no good ruleset to mitigate those things. If anything, creating a specified ruleset only invites degenerate behavior as a toxic player now has guidelines for how not to get banned but still push the envelope as far as possible. It’s not an easy thing and it’s not set in stone; but we promise to be as public and fair about our decisions and rulings as possible. Hype Yomi is what we’re after; not power-tripping on the internet.

IYL5 is for all skill-levels of players, ESPECIALLY those who are new to the game. Don’t be intimidated by the length of the event or of the caliber of player you see signing up! The weekly format gives you plenty of time to ask us local pros at the country club for matchup specific tactics and giving you a punching bag to train against. The point of IYL is to create a casual-competitive environment for improvement.

Thanks for being such an awesome community! I’ve only been part of it for a short time, and you all have been awesome!

League Rules*:

• Players will be split into roughly equal divisions, based mostly on time zones
  • The season will then be a round robin in each division
  • After the round robin finishes, play in matches for playoffs will begin the week after
  • Once the play in matches are complete, playoffs will begin
  • The two winners of the playoff conferences will fight in the Yomi Bowl!

Players will qualify for playoffs as follows:

• Playoffs will be seeded based upon season win percentage and tiebreakers
  • Tiebreakers will be in the following order: head to head, individual game win percentage
  • A one game playoff will break the tie, if necessary

The exact qualification rules will depend on the number of signups, but they will roughly be:

• The first player in each division will automatically qualify, and have a first round bye
  • The second player will also qualify, but will not have a bye
  • Each division will also have one more player qualify for playoffs, as decided by play in matches
  • To determine this, fourth and fifth place will play, then the winner of that match will play third place
  • Whoever wins out of these three players qualifies for playoffs

*- These rules were based on what were used for last season and seemed to work for ~90 signups. The actual divisional breakdown and playoff picture will depend ENTIRELY on the amount of signups/player retention in order to provide the best league experience.

Match Rules:

• Mid timer
  • Spectators can see hands is recommended off, can be on if both players agree
  • Rules enforced
  • Double Blind Character selection for the first game
  • Standard Counterpick rules (Loser of last game may pick a different character, winner is locked to the same character)
  • No random character select*
  • Players are allowed one five minute break and three pause of thirty seconds or less, unless both players agree to allow it. Violations will result in a forfeit
  • A double K.O. results in a replay, with no win or loss to either player
  • In the event of a server crash, that individual match or round will not count and must be replayed

* We can’t prevent you from randomly selecting a character via other means. However, “random select” does not allow you to change characters to another random character after a match win, where you would normally be locked into the character you just played. This is the real reason for this rule.

Season play:

• Round robin in each division
  • Matches are to be played weekly
  • Best of five

Playoffs:

• Playoff matches will be played weekly
  • Playoffs are single elimination
  • Playoff matches will be best of 7

Other rules:

• Results of your matches will be reported in this thread
  • Match results must be posted in the thread by Sun @ 11:59 pm GMT of the following week (you have two weeks to play each match)
  • On the last week of the season, as well as the playoffs, the match results must be posted by Sun @ 11:59 pm GMT of the same week the match was scheduled
  • Players that no-show twice in same week automatically forfeit
  • Habitual no-shows will result in forfeits. This will be determined by a TO
  • Ties are calculated as half a win and half a loss and will have a 0-0 individual match record
  • Players that forfeit more than one match or tie more than two matches during the season will forfeit the remainder of the season

Scheduling Tip 1: WorldTimeBuddy.com is an excellent resource for scheduling matches across timezones.

Scheduling Tip 2: If you are posting to the scheduling conversation first, provide a list of dates and times when you are available to play. If you are posting to the scheduling conversation second, pick a specific start time and date for your match from those provided by your opponent. If none work for you, propose specific alternatives.

(Hat tip to @mysticjuicer for the scheduling tips)

5 Likes

The Dreadlands

On Challonge

The Dreadlands (Continued)

Pandaland

On Challonge

Pandaland (Continued)

Flagstone City

On Challonge

1 Like

Flagstone City (Continued)

Morningstar Sanctuary

On Challonge

Morningstar Sanctuary (Continued)

1 Like

I see that you’ve linked some peoples’ Challonge accounts to their name in this bracket, but you did not do so with me. Note that I also have a Challonge account (same name and spelling as you have me down for already).

Alright, you should be linked now.

Get Hype for IYL

4 Likes

International Yomi League - Season 5
Dreadlands Division, Week 1
Mystic Deadman vs. Bye

:chibigwen::psfist::fearful::chibigeiger:

MD 3-0 Bye

So, this match was kind of an interesting beast. Normally, I wouldn’t play Gwen against someone who plays the ECS*, but Bye had an interesting strategy, to say the least. No matter what turn we were on, or how much the situation would say to do otherwise, he was playing a throw-exclusive range.

As in, every single turn, he threw. And we all know how much Gwen loves it when random men try to hug her.

Needless to say, hitting the Max Damage combo every time I had it felt less rewarding in this match than it normally does. I guess knowing that it’s going to hit regardless of the situation kinda takes some of the feel-good out of it.

Ah well, a win’s a win’s a win, I guess.

GGs dood.

*Empty Character Slot

11 Likes

I am excited to see my sister win the division I won last year. Let’s all root for her.

7 Likes

We’ve had a late-breaking division substitution. @Pwntology has volunteered to switch with @Zejety to help remedy a my a mistake I made in putting @Zejety in a primarily US-based division. Thanks, @Pwntology.

@Pwntology -> Flagstone
@Zejety -> Pandaland

1 Like

IYL 5, Morningstar Sanctuary Division, Round 1
Phrawger vs Scymrian :: 3 - 1

:lum: :pschip: :psfist: :onimaru: Now I know what you’re thinking: Phrawger, I thought you mained Midori. And you’d be right! But Midori’s matchups with my boy Scym’s mains are pretty bad, so I went with a character that I’ve played a little bit as a BBB counter. I tried to shift gears and fell off the road. This one got down to one card in my deck before Scym bricked me, though.
:lum: :psfist: :pschip: :onimaru: After one round, I found my sea legs and started winning combats. Did you know Lum could make straights?? Wonders never cease.
:lum: :psfist: :pschip: :zane: The anarchist is the boogeyman. Still, he doesn’t have enough < 1.0 attacks to match me, and I didn’t get knocked down reliably enough to take a trip to the butcher shop.
:lum: :psfist: :pschip: :zane: I loved this game. Three 10’s in hand to start, drew a fourth early. Scym hit a Joker with his innate but still slammed me with a pair of aces. Then I find a couple aces and 4-of-a-kind with my 10’s… and hit MY Joker and fall on my ass. It came down to Scym powering up for all 4 aces and I with nary a 7 to be found. We dance around and final combat is Maximum Anarchy vs Blackjack. The card I peel off the top is… a 7. I do a double backflip before winning.

GGS, my man. Always a pleasure.

10 Likes

you put the bear in bear-serker! XD

5 Likes

Zejety beats @Castanietzsche 3-1 at Pandalands

:gwen::psfist::knockdown::quince: Early vortex hits cost me dearly to the point where I almost lost hope. However, I made a comeback halfway through the game, at which point we traded blows until it came down to the last combat.

:gwen::knockdown::psfist::bbb: My ballsy 1st-turn 9-throw got hit by an almost-as-ballsy K. If I recall correctly, I was around 27 hp when I restored close range. D:
My attempt to rush BBB down before time ran out got shut down by a Piston Hurricane.

:gwen::psfist::knockdown::bbb: Played a lot more carefully around range triggers this time and it paid off with a win at a pretty good life lead.

:gwen::psfist::knockdown::zane: Game started okay but I got hit very hard in the midgame (despite timely Qs getting me out of most knockdowns) to the point where I was convinced I’d lose the game for sure. In a last-ditch attempt, I traded my sizeable hand for an endless supply of Aces, and hit a Portal followed by a proper combo for 60 damage in two turns. Got really lucky here that Casta had no Jokers to burst with.

GGs!

5 Likes

Just a reminder to people reporting matches that it really helps if you put in your division.

4 Likes

Flagstone City

Niijima-san vs. Floofiness

Persephone => BBB
Persephone => BBB
Persephone <= Zane
Troq => Zane

Honorable combat concluded.

3 Likes