[Yomi Tournament] IYL 5

Caralad stole a bit of my thunder (I am seriously jealous of your YouTube upload speeds, my dude), but who wouldn’t want a double-dose of flagrantangles vs Fivec?

5 Likes

I’m really glad I caught this set as it was happening, because it had some of the most exciting games I’ve seen in a while!

4 Likes

also, because neither of the players has yet reported it

Flagstone City
flagrantangles vs Fivec results

[details=Summary]flagrantangles 0 - 3 Fivec

:quince: :pschip: :psfist: :setsuki:
:quince: :pschip: :psfist: :setsuki:
:quince: :pschip: :psfist: :setsuki: [/details]

3 Likes

Happy to see this recording, nice to see another perspective. You explained much better my hatred of setsuki though.

2 Likes

Speed of the Fox is now “Spirit of the Fox.”

This is a thing now, shut up.

2 Likes

@mysticjuicer @Caralad Friendly reminder that you can also post your vids here for greater visibility, if you want to.

We all appreciate you taking time to set up and commentate these matches.

5 Likes

I have so many responses to this video! First off, I think you articulate what makes Setsuki so difficult to fight very well. For the most part, I feel like I am not playing Yomi when I play against Setsuki. I think some of that is that because of what you described and some of that is that I find Setsuki so uninteresting and boring that I’ve never bothered to learn how to play as her or against her so that definitely works against me. It’s the same reason that I struggle against Zane and Troq. I don’t think they’re interesting characters so I really dislike playing as or against them.

Furthermore, I am actually pretty bad at valuation. I have a very hard time determining what’s in someone’s hand based on what they play. There are certain points where I have insights that are very useful to me. Sometimes I intuit what someone has in hand by what they give me from 2 Truths during a Positive Spin turn but otherwise I’m always thinking that their plays could be TRAPS. It certainly makes me a weaker player generally and probably becomes more pronounced against Setsuki. Or maybe it becomes less of an issue against her. I could go either way on that.

I do super agree about your assessment of Fivec though! He’s a super good player and it’s impressive watching his Setsuki do work. I don’t mind losing the vast majority of the time and I especially don’t mind losing to players who I think are better than me so while this set went very badly for me, it’s exactly what I expected so I’m not disappointed with my performance.

In the second game, it wasn’t so much about being courageous enough to play the honest Queen so much as it was my only spin in hand. I actually didn’t draw another one until near the end of the game. It was pretty uncomfortable. Also, I would like to take a moment to say that I was HARDCORE certain that Fivec wouldn’t call my bluff when I played Patriot Mirror into Ninpo Flash especially since I hadn’t played any bluffs or jokers during the last game so it would seem SUPER FACE UP when I played one the first time. I’m also ludicrously amused that you associate crazy throw duffs with me. As I look back on it, I definitely should have bluffed at the end since Fivec knew I had the joker. Oh well. Next time!

I have no regrets about playing Consent of the Governed as my dodge followup into his Joker. It worked out poorly, but I find that you just need to lay some hands on her. Unfortunately, she was made of teflon and my hands slipped right off! Also, you criticized my Two Truths piles near the end of the game. The reason I separated the Queens was because they are good damage and I wanted to guarantee that I had one. I find that Setsuki players will deny Quince Queens if they can since they do good damage and she doesn’t have a lot of life. However, 7-attacking a 7-throw was delightful. As for the Flagstone Tax at the end, I think it was fine, but I should have played an attack. I didn’t quite think through it sufficiently. I don’t care what anyone says, I love Flagstone Tax and I will use it ALL THE TIME FOREVER. Teehee.

Thanks for casting, @mysticjuicer!

8 Likes

I think your split was fine. You certainly have more information about your hand and what you need, so I raised the ‘put 2 Queens on the same side’ option just as an alternative split that occurred to me, and might not have occurred to a viewer who hasn’t played much Quince.

I didn’t actually intend any criticism on the Flagstone tax - though I grant it doesn’t come across that way in the video! What I mean is that the Flagstone tax shouldn’t factor into Fivec’s decision making at all.

Glad you enjoyed the video, and appreciate the response!

6 Likes

Shax vs @Ms.Stress

:valerie::psfist::pschip::setsuki: this went well
:valerie::psfist::pschip::setsuki: and then she drew the Q’s. she managed to joker both of my biggest damage attempts and gets me down to 4hp. I scrub it out in the scramble.
:valerie::psfist::pschip::troq: Smug 30 something combo nets me 2 aces and a big lead. Beast unleashed. 3 hp vs 27 hp but it turns out T6AA =28 damage.

Those last two games could really go either way.

Respect and GG.

5 Likes

Dreadlands R6
MR vs @Corroyeur 2-3

:grave::pschip::psfist::onimaru: no way orange crush hit hard!
:grave::psfist::pschip::onimaru: good hand, I managed a 5–>tpos… 50 dmg were hard even for oni and took him down to 5hp left, then he did’t want to give up!!! finally landed a throw…
:grave::psfist::pschip::onimaru: good hand again… and no FA in his hand!
:grave::pschip::psfist::onimaru: no way orange crush hit hard also this match (I managed to touch him at least…)
:grave::pschip::psfist::onimaru: final tense match. Good oni start, took me down to 12hp, then I try a little comeback, stopped by his joker on my K+5J attack and ended by a FA K+ vs Q (no joker on my side, even with 15 cards left…maybe I drew too many of them in my previous rounds :sob:! I scratched my fingers on table since I had a dodge and tpos follow up…for a final choice card!)

GGs Corroyeur
I have to study this matchup… during the games that I lost, I felt very messed up, with no escape way!
And even 2nd game, your comeback was very scary!

GL in the rest of the league!

4 Likes

Morningstar Sanctuary
scymrian v. @Fluffiness

Onimaru > Setsuki
Onimaru < DeGrey
Setsuki < DeGrey
Setsuki > DeGrey
Setsuki > Quince

the world revolves around the cute little ninja girl who forces close timeouts in game 5. ggs Fluff!

2 Likes

thehug0naut vs @shamusj in The Dreadlands

:jaina::pschip::psfist::setsuki: Needed to make some range adjustments
:jaina::psfist::pschip::setsuki: When you do win combat, win it SUPER HARD
:jaina::psfist::pschip::setsuki: Was staring down 29HP sets with only 16 of my own, thankfully I had been so free with my aces that they were respected and I threw into 30 sealed it.
:jaina::psfist::pschip::troq: Everyone should firekick beast unleashed right in the kisser. Dr Jaina’s orders

thehug0naut wins 3-1

The rumours of ninjas and minotaurs in the Dreadlands were not exaggerated. Thankfully for me, neither was Jaina’s ability to melt her opponent’s lifebars.

GGs friend, was a pleasure to play you :smiley:

7 Likes

Morningstar Sanctuary
pengwndude vs @Phrawger
:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :midori:

poor phrawger had real bad internet issues
gg’s otherwise though

3 Likes

Flagstone City
Copper versus niijima-san
3-1

I WON A SET

:menelker::psfist::pschip::persephone:
Avoided the Mind Controls, did not avoid the KD loops. Luckily Menelker does damage a lot faster than Perse, and I also managed to close out a match even after idiotically not going for lethal when I just needed to combo for 4 damage.
HIGHLIGHT: powering up for a card out of deck because my joker was BareYourSouled, joker shuffled into deck, draw joker, use it to avoid mind control dodge follow up that very combat.
:menelker::pschip::psfist::argagarg:
Be at 17 health, land DSD on 70 health Arg so that we are both at 15. He attacks my throw and I still lose.
:menelker::psfist::pschip::argagarg:
He doesn’t counter my joker removal and saves it to counter A removal. I gold burst a blowfish spikes, and dodge into DSD for the win.
:menelker::psfist::pschip::argagarg:
Threaten DSD, land K++AA for big damage, then mash fast moves to close it out.

Good games!

9 Likes

Flagstone City

Niijima-San vs UTRALAW

Niijima-San wins 3-2

:chibilum: :pschip::psfist: :chibiargagarg:
:chibivendetta: :psfist::pschip: :chibiargagarg:
:chibivendetta: :psfist::pschip: :chibivalerie:
:chibivendetta: :pschip::psfist: :chibivalerie:
:chibijaina: :psfist::pschip: :chibivalerie:

Honorable combat concluded.

7 Likes

Honorable combat concluded.

5 Likes

Pandalands
CCC vs ClanNatioy
3-0

:geiger: >>> :bbb:

ggs well-played

4 Likes

The Dreadlands
thehug0naut vs @MysticDeadman
:rook::psfist::pschip::gwen:
:rook::psfist::pschip::gwen:
:rook::psfist::pschip::bbb:
thehug0naut wins 3-0!

The shadow plague is rampant in the Dreadlands, but thankfully Rook is immune to its icy tendrils.

GGs friend and well played.

#MakeRookGreatAgain

7 Likes

Game 3 was actually 3B, not Gwen.

GGs, though, and good luck to you the rest of the way.

Scrub video to come!

6 Likes

Fixed in original post.

Sorry for that dude. Playing back to back melts my brain.

SUPER EXCITED FOR VIDEO!

3 Likes