Yomi-O's now with 200% more fireballs (v3 wishlist)

Thank you for well-reasoned posts!

I would like to reiterate at this point that I personally think Setsuki is broadly fine as is. But I do understand the concerns of those who think her card flow and fast options make playing against her into too much of a game of 50/50s, and dislike that she has no incentive not to dump her hand on any combat win, even into a joker.

The intent of the changes was to give her a reason to respect jokers, and to make Speed of the Fox trigger less often so it becomes more of ā€œadvantage timeā€ and a reset once sheā€™s played her hand down to nothing, instead of something she can reliably trigger two or more turns in a row. That will force her to make more decisions about what to play and how much to commit rather than dump as much as she can at every opportunity.

Can you (or anyone else) think of better ways to accomplish those things, that donā€™t require her deck or play style to change completely?

3 Likes

Excluding aces is worth considering. Iā€™m not sure itā€™s a helpful change but it might be - and I am the sort of player who likes when similar abilities work in similar ways. It provides structure, and having fewer finicky differences to keep track of makes the design more elegant -and the game easier to learn. (Same as Rookā€™s special blocks returning on Block/Block).

That is 100% valid. I suppose from my perspective, there are three reasons one might choose not to play into a facedown in Yomi:

1. You will waste cards from your own hand that you may or may not be able to get back.
  2. You will leave yourself on a low hand.
  3. You will give your opponent two more cards.

To me, it seems like 1 and 2 are generally much more important factors than 3. Sure, it sucks to give your opponent cards, but it doesnā€™t suck NEARLY as much as wasting that triple ace super or failing to KO when you have only a card or two left in hand.

Since Setsuki generally doesnā€™t have to be concerned with 1 or 2, it feels like she just has LESS of a relationship with facedowns rather than a DIFFERENT relationship, if that makes sense. Like, most characters need to take all 3 points into consideration, but Setsuki largely only has to think about number 3. She isnā€™t thinking about Jokers differently than other characters; sheā€™s just thinking about them less. And since number 3 is a much smaller deterrent than 1 or 2, she ends up playing into facedowns more often and with less worry than other characters.

I realize that you likely were aware of all this, but I just wanted to clarify my thoughts about Setsuki and jokers.

3 Likes

She picks up 7QK instead of 7AA/QAA. Takes her a little more time to do loop things but it still largely happens. Maybe this is a fine nerf though. I wouldnā€™t outright reject it like I have some other suggestions that have been made.

Iā€™m probably in the minority on this, but I donā€™t like dumping high damage stuff into my opponentā€™s facedowns if I know I can win combat next turn, especially if that high damage stuff is Aces. I will often pass if I think I have a high percentage chance of winning combat the next turn.

I also think that Setsuki is fine where she is (though I think a small damage nerf is probably good). I also think that a largely underdeveloped skill in most players today is the ability to read a hand, and even though Setsuki has a tendency to change that hand frequently, it only becomes easier as the game progresses when you are able to see the frequency of certain cards in the discard, and combining that with ways to dump a hand with x cards. I think a player who has generally proven that he is good at this skill (although he does not play the game anymore) is @MadKing. I also think that players are exceptionally bad at punishing Setsuki hands that cannot be immediately dumped, which is a skill that is mandatory to having continued success against her. I donā€™t know if there are any VODs out there, but watch me commentate a @Fivec game and tell you exactly what is in his hand or what he is thinking by midgame, or there are a couple old matches out there (not sure if they were recorded or not) where I beat him handily in the Setsuki mirror because he played the Plan A Setsuki game and I punished it.

5 Likes

I really hope someone can find recordings of those games, thatā€™s something Iā€™d like to see!

1 Like

If you have links I would really appreciate it. Are they on Razā€™s YouTube channel, mostly?

1 Like

Admittedly I did lose 0-4 to him in an old Summer Smash with Zane, but that was largely due to my own incompetence with not landing a single Maximum Anarchy in four games and whiffing maybe five or six of them, but I think I am 8-1 vs. Fivec in the Setsuki mirror in tournament.

I have never set up my own stream so I donā€™t have any idea where they may or may not be, and also these would be in the hands of other streamers from two or three years ago (think maybe Leontes, Mad King?). If youā€™d like, I can coach you (and anyone else) in anti-Setsuki tech. Itā€™s probably best if we are playing each other so you can know exactly what I am thinking and I can help you understand why you should make the moves you make.

4 Likes

From prior experience with coaching, I find I am very bad at receiving it live, especially in a situation where I am already feeling tilted. Hence why I was going to watch commentary. Iā€™ll see if I can find some videos where youā€™ve commentated Setsuki play and then consider talking to you about some live stuff.

This is almost certainly true. Though she is so tilting that I canā€™t really blame anyone for missing opportunities to take advantage.

Lately I donā€™t worry about her as much, mostly because I switch to Grave and option-select her attack/throw bullshit.

1 Like

I just wanted to say, even if nothing comes of it, this discussion on Setsuki has at least been very cathartic. :joy:

5 Likes

One thing has definitely arisen - I now need to change my bureau posts. I have Zane written up as the most divisive character :joy:

4 Likes

How about next time you commentate a Fivec match, I will co-comm with you if I am around.

7 Likes

For you guys @mysticjuicer @niijima-san @Zqxx

5 Likes

This is now my most desired @mysticjuicer channel feature

#whatdoesthefoxthink

2 Likes

Nothing but respect for my President.

1 Like

Wow this thread is getting spicy #fucksetsuki

I think Setsuki could use a very very slight damage nerf but honestly she is in a good spot. Or maybe just donā€™t allow her to power up for nothing (force her to fetch at least one ace)? In any case the character at its core is just irritating to fight against and that requires a complete overhaul for that to change.

5 Likes

The Setsuki tangent ran quite long so I wanted to make sure ideas didnā€™t get lost:

Consensus changes
-Setsuki - small damage nerf (I like AA 15 dmg so weā€™re only changing one card)

Changes under consideration
-Lum Jackpot doesnā€™t draw on use and reads: The opponent reveals 2 cards from their hand at random. For each Ace, they take 5 damage and you draw a card. For each Joker, you take 2 damage. (definitely helps vs. DeGrey, would help vs. Arg if his counter was weaker)
-Arg Counter limited to once per turn (does this hurt Arg vs. Gloria too much?)
-Menelker Slow J 10+10 damage, +1 Jack, 2CP Starter (I think this helps vs. grapplers/Zane/Oni/DeGrey without significantly affecting other mus)
-Gwen Dreadlands Portal buff (Iā€™d rather give it KD than just buff the damage, to encourage it being used as a way to open up her Plan A rushdown rather than creating a Plan B dodge/Super throw mixup. But the Tickle could use some kind of buff for sure)
-Ven Jack gains ability Assassinā€™s Toolbox: Discard this to search your deck (not discard pile) for a non-Joker card.

3 Likes

J imo is Vendettas second best face card. Its his main source of damage. Much more than Q.

• Dunno about the Jackpot buff.
  • Donā€™t think I like Arg counter being once per turn.
  • Menelker change is only a difference of 2 damage most of the time, so I donā€™t really feel it.
  • I defer to Niijima on Ven. If he thinks no change is fine, Iā€™m inclined to agree he knows best.
1 Like

What problem is this clause attempting to address? Is this just so that if Lum has more than 1 PF in hand he can be guaranteed to play at least one?

EDIT: For the record I do think this change would be a small but substantial harm to Arg in the Gloria MU, so personally I donā€™t think this is a great change.

1 Like