What's your Favorite Deck?

I like Fire and Truth together. Haven’t worked out who would complement the best for the third, or which starter deck works best. I’m still in the stages of learning my timing (either I fall very behind in the early game, or I lose focus midgame and get destroyed in the endgame by my cousin’s haste heavy decks. Either or, I run into problems not being able to do significance to the backline cause I’m terrible at board control.)

Otherwise been exploring a bit with Disease, Demonology and experimenting with a random third (atm Discipline.)

3 Likes

I love purple. The straightforward power of Present (Immortals/Hyperion) is great. But I’ve recently delved into the ridiculousness of Past/Future. Hive + Omegacron and the 6/7 Mech token + any time rune manipulation both produce threats very fast for cheap.

I really want to try to mix purple with something else, but I’m having a heck of a time thinking of anything. Has anyone tried a Past/Future/Growth idea? It feels like Dinosize or Stampede could set up some sort of surprise OTK with the big bodies.

3 Likes

Ready or not / now on a rampaging elephant seems like a good idea :wink:

4 Likes

:scream: I want to try this now, but I already foresee trying too hard and losing.

2 Likes

I’ve been fiddling with [Discipline]/Present/Demonolgy to TD a Rambasa Twin into a Twilight Baron. I find the white starter really versatile, good unit variety, and cheap spells that I don’t feel bad about casting with Geiger. First game I played I got decimated by Tiny Basilisks though :slight_frown:

I’m currently playing a Blood/Feral/Present deck (in CAWS, actually) - I can’t say I really know how it plays yet because I’ve only finished 1 game with it so far (in which I got crushed basically before I got to do anything), but this is something that in theory my deck can do. The two main ideas are: lots of haste (red starter, Drakk plus the rest of Blood, and Present), and “throw units in his face from your codex” (Feral Strike, Warp Gate Disciple, Temporal Distortion). Of course, if you can throw things like Crashbarrows at him, despite not having chosen Blood for Tech 2, that makes it even more fun. I don’t know how good it is yet, but it has potential for some really explosive turns!

Ready or Not on a hasted Rampaging Elephant is actually one of the things I thought of after “designing” this codex - but it’s not likely to happen for me in a game because I can’t see me choosing Feral Tech 2 with it (at the moment I’m always planning for Present, although I can see Blood working better in some matchups maybe).

While I’m here, the other idea I’m toying with at the moment is Ninjutsu/Anarchy/X - because the idea of Fox’s Den Students plus Chaos Mirror is just hilarious for me, and there seem to be quite a few other nice little synergies between the two specs. I just finished my first game with it - with Disease as the 3rd spec, which I basically didn’t even use - against petE in a forum thread, and although I lost it was really close (I basically lost a Tech 3 race, having misplayed several times). I’ve only today realised that Finesse would be a much better 3rd spec, so I’ve started a new game playing that.

I may be terrible at this game, but I enjoy thinking up crazy combinations that might work, or at least be entertaining! :smiley:

6 Likes

I’ve come full circle and am back to enjoying mono Green the most at the moment. In the past, even though they were one of my two favorite colors, I wasn’t too fond of their spells (except for Murkwood Allies) but now I’m super digging them. Argagarg is the bees knees now, he gives you so much offense, which is surprising from a 1 atk hero. Arg + Feral smashes stuff. I want my Centaurs vomiting rainbows all day, too strong.

Calamandra has always been cool. Murkwood Allies is still fun and her other spells can wreck in the right situation. Ferocity and Behind the Ferns is good stuff when combined with Tiny Basilisks but Ferocity becomes crazy time with Potent Basilisk.

Either of the above two heroes are solid for early game pressure stuff.

I’m only a little bit bummed that Midori is more niche then the other two heroes. He’s got some situationally strong spells. I need to get better at pulling of Circle of Life shenanigans. Once Midori maxes the death lazer is cool and 1/2 (:cry:) Wisps are something that I enjoy.

What do people think of Rampant Growth? I think this is one of the best tech 0 cards and if you’re workering it, especially early, you’re making a mistake. Being able to kill stuff and keep your stuff is what Green is all about and being able to do that off of any hero is just too good to pass up on.

I had a cool experience with Verdant Tree in a recent set of games. On a turn where I rebuilt my tech 3 I dropped the Verdant Tree (so was hanging onto it all game for this potential purpose) to force my opponent to have to blow up a 3 hp thing then the 5 hp tech building. If he couldn’t pull that off then he would be getting hit in the face by an army of Squirrels soon. It was especially fun because I don’t think I used the tree much, if at all, since testing.

Also Feral Tech II is better then I gave it credit for so was happy to be wrong about that. Bears are fun and Dino Sized, Raindow Lazer Bears are even more fun (take that double patrolling Voidblockers). And changed Moss Ancient as well better then I thought so glad to be wrong about the changed version as well.

One finally thing I was wrong about, that was discovered recently, is Spore Shambler has a lot more general uses then I thought.

So overall my like/enjoyment of Green is very high right now.

9 Likes

Yeah - while Red and Green are the only monocolours I played before I decided to branch out into multicolour, I agree that Green is really cool, and definitely the monocolour deck that would want to play most. Ironically, Murkwood Allies is the one Feral spell that I find hard to use (I find it very overpriced for its effect, unless you’re trying for shenanigans with Gigadon or Galina Glimmer) - but Ferocity is brutal and Behind the Ferns is terrifying if you have a reasonably board of “small” units.

I definitely agree that Midori is pretty niche, but once you get him to max your opponents had better have an answer to him :slight_smile:

2 Likes

When I first saw Murkwood Allies it was the only card that existed. Then it got nerfed to what seemed reasonable, where it stayed almost right to release. Then there was a scare among some that it was the only card that existed still and it moved from cost 4 to 5. I agree that it is a bit tricky to use but it can still do good work. It just can’t be played as often as it used to. Actually there were a few changes to other cards that indirectly nerfed MA as well. So while it isn’t the a super card any more it still has good value.

I do find all of Calamandra’s normal spells trickier to use in . They require to have a more stable board set up or in the case of MA create a board of weenies. But if you have the units and/or a single Tiny Basilisk and they have no debuff or removal then her other spells do lots of work.

3 Likes

Has someone already tried some [Ninjustu]/Arnarchy deck ?
Chaos Mirror on Smoker + Inverse Power Ninja looks funny, and Steam Tank + Hidden Ninja might be quite nice too, because more card-saving than Behind the Ferns.

4 Likes

[Balance], Strength, Law

It is my belief that Balance = Strength, so much so that I consider it a Law of the universe.

I’m not sure how it works out in play, but I feel that you could probably pull any 3 random specs and find synergies that will make them work. In the end, most games will most likely be won by the better player rather than because of whatever specs were used.

3 Likes

Despite Sirlin’s intentions, I believe that certain decks utilize synergies better than others and some matches are inevitably tilted, perhaps even significantly. There was even a thread in the old forums dedicated to finding the worst decks, I believe (no or even negative synergies, lack of answers, all weak heroes in combat, etc). I’m more than willing to be proven wrong, of course, and would love to see a match where a intermediate/reasonably skilled player uses one of the top decks in the meta so far such as Vandy&Friends, PPA, Necro/Blood/Truth, or Necro/Growth/Strength against top players such as EricF or Marto using a randomly generated deck, and watch how the gameplay goes.

4 Likes

Yes, if you search my games you’ll see I’ve been trying that exact combination, with a variety of choices of 3rd spec (first with Disease, then Finesse - most recently with Balance). EDIT: I also wrote a bit about it earlier on this thread: What's your Favorite Deck? - #63 by robinz

Those particular synergies you highight aren’t ones I’d thought of, but they are typical of the kind of things you can do. My main aims were Chaos Mirror + Fox’s Den Students, with any reasonably high-ATK unit or hero on the board. And I had thought of the hilarity of sending a Steam Tank to the Fox’s Den School (requires a tech lab, of course) - but somehow didn’t think of the easier option with HN :smiley:

On a completely unrelated idea, I’ve just been looking up the interaction between Terras Q and Quince/s mirrors - codexcarddb says:

So my question is: has anybody tried a Demonology/Truth deck, with this in mind? (Copying other Demons with Quince could be quite fun as well.) Sounds easier to me than comboing Terras Q with DeGrey, or even Discord (because you can summon Quince at any time unless he’s just been killed), and I know there are popular decks around trying to do both of these.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, Terras Q is a Legendary unit, and no second copy of a Legendary unit can exist. It is a interesting line of thought, though, and when I first saw it my first thought was actually “that seems very powerful, I wonder why Terras Q isn’t a Legendary unit.” Then I went to the database and hey presto, it is.

5 Likes

It appears that you’re right. That’s disappointing, but oh well :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s not quite precisely accurate.

[quote=Actual rules]
Legendary: You can’t have more than one copy of a legendary thing with the same name in play. If a second copy of
it would be under your control, instead the second copy is discarded. [/quote]

Which means that the Terras Q, Mirror Illusion synergy can still be exploited in Two headed Dragon mode where one partner has the Demon and the other partner has the Illusion.

4 Likes

As far as the base Codices goes, I like the Vortoss Conclave the most, at least from a thematic standpoint.

2 Likes

I prefer to go the other way: TD the Baron (after attacking, of course) into Rambassas. Then trade off one Tiger and TD or flicker the second one for bonus value.

3 Likes

Truth is more appropriate than Law, as laws can be broken, but the truth is the truth. I have since changed my favorite to:

[Balance], Strength, Truth

or

[Truth], Balance, Strength

Another Codex combination that I’m going to test out soon is:

[Future], Past, Peace

Lately I’ve been theorycrafting various Blue + Neutral builds half-baked ideas.

• The threat of Bigby’s Injunction makes it a whole lot more likely that Troq’s Ulitmate will hit the good case
  • Brick Thief + Mirror Illusions lengthens the game in hopes of getting to Liberty Griffon
  • Brick Thief seems likely to make Air Hammer a bit more relevant.
  • Boot Camp has great synergy with both Star Crossed Starlet and Harmony
  • River Maxband can make the Drill Sargent + Garrison plan even stronger
  • The ability to have both River and Bigby each sideline a patroller makes it a lot easier to get big vanilla units through – and also really juice up Hallucination / Dreamscape as removal.
2 Likes