[Tournament] Salary Cap Yomi - Ongoing

migohunter vs @Cypher

1 :grave: (6 :ps_:) > :valerie: (4 :ps_:)
2 :menelker: (3 :ps_:) > :persephone: (3 :ps_:)
3 :jaina: (1 :ps_:) < :onimaru: (5 :ps_:)
4 :geiger: (6 :ps_:) < :midori: (2 :ps_:)
5 :quince: (2 :ps_:) > :argagarg: (4 :ps_:)

Game 1: Just Grave being a cheater and looking into Val’s hand and doing stupidly efficient damage with Aces. Ended with raw TPOS for the win.

Game 2: Dodged Persephone’s AA into bonecracker and had two 10s in hand. Game was over then and there unless Cypher could somehow chip my health away into a victory without aces.

Game 3: Got hit by the classic Oni turn 1 A followed by 10 attack crushing my only block. Sort of floundered around and died after that.

Game 4: Had a rubbish hand and eventually built up to a decent hand but lost a bit too much health to get there. Had a good TD hand but Midori was in dragon form. Third dragon Q hit for lethal ended my TD attempt.

Game 5: Pretty back and forth match, early Two Truths got countered but luckily could get the cards I needed later. Drew a lot of throws which helped against Arg and got some key Positive Spin wins.

I’ll upload my POV of the match later. GGs and well played Cypher, for making a set with four advantaged mus for me close.

5 Likes

@Cypher, @TonyHole: You’ve got ~15 hours to lock your rosters before your match invite goes out.

1 Like

:grave: 6$
:onimaru: 5$
:persephone: 3$
:menelker: 3$
:rook: 1$

Basically shifted out Lum with Grave, since Rook got to 1$.

Thanks for the heads-up, but I’m pretty happy with my roster.
Let me know if some mid-tournament cost-changes happen or something (like if M. Persephone becomes cheaper), but otherwise I’ll just stick to what I have.

Don’t forget that I’m using :valerie: and not :gloria:! The roster was incorrect in the first two messages to go out.

Ok, fixed your stable. Prices won’t change, so it’s only if you want to tune your stable for your upcoming opponent that you might want to change it.

@TonyHole, I’ve updated yours. I’ll send out the invite thread shortly!

1 Like

cpat 3-1 @Gingivitusks
:argagarg: > :quince:
:quince: > :onimaru:
:vendetta: < :grave:
:gloria: > :argagarg:
:geiger: - :rook: was the last match.

GGs! Always enjoy a little bit of chatter during a match.

5 Likes
Game @Cypher vs. @TonyHole
Round 1 :midori: :psfist: :pschip: :persephone:
Round 2 :persephone: :psfist: :pschip: :onimaru:
Round 3 :onimaru: :pschip: :psfist: :grave:
Round 4 :argagarg: :psfist: :pschip: :menelker:
Round 5 :valerie: :pschip: :pschip: :rook:

Cypher wins, 3-1

• Round 1 – I’m always happy to see another Persephone player! I think I won all but two of the combats in this game, so despite having no Dragon Form, Midori lands enough efficient damage and outspeeds enough throws to get Persephone on the back-foot quite early, and she never recovers. I also got pretty lucky timing my blocks just right to stop the throw duffs. At one point, I Glimpse an already-winning-combat Rising Mountain into a Dragon Mountain (because I want to tack on a fully pumped Whirlwind), but end up not playing into my opponent’s facedown, baiting out a Joker. Not sure if it was a good play, but I certainly felt clever!

• Round 2 – Now it’s my turn to play M. Persephone, in what ends up being the closest game of the set! It starts out well enough, with me landing a few consecutive knockdowns (they’re not very lucrative, though, as I have very few cards in my discard pile). Then I start to get all of my throws duffed and my attacks dodged, and before I know it I’m down to 2 hit points, down by about 40 of 50 points. Fortunately for me, the Guile’s Theme kicks in, and I’m able to vortex my opponent to victory, only feeding cards from Bare Your Soul that lose to On Your Knees. It’s not a proper lock (Onimaru still had blocks in hand), and I’m aided by a mis-powerup from my opponent (who instinctively takes the Ace from the discard pile instead of the deck, leaving Bare Your Soul intact), but even after finally returning to neutral with a dwindling hand-size, I manage to squeeze out the win.

• Round 3 – Now it’s my turn to play the Wartime Strategist, but TonyHole plays a very solid Grave. There’s a lot of blocking in the early turns, and each time I say to myself “oh man, I should have played that 10 attack… but surely Grave will throw out a Lighting Trap or something now, right?” (and each time I’m wrong). Eventually, just before I work up the courage to attempt a Guard Crush, that cheating Grave looks at my hand! Despite a few early combat wins after that, my opponent dodges into a stealth True Power of Storms, completely evening up the life totals and putting me on the backfoot. Good dodges, brave attacks, intermittent hand-peaking, and an excellent facedown bluff comfortably win Grave the game (even if I called the bluff, it still would have left grave at 2 hit points with a known Lighting Trap checkmate unless topdecked another dodge).

• Round 4 – While I’m generally comfortable playing against Menelker, games against him can still go South really fast, so I have to stay on my toes. The standout feature of this round happens in the early game, when Argagarg manages to outspeed Menelker’s throws by a single rank… three turns in a row! Even manage to outspeed a 10 throw using my 9 throw. Surely, if Menelker is using those 10s as throws, he must be bereft of throws after that, right? Well, that’s what I think, but it ends up being a value trap! Fortunately for me, I’m too stupid to fall for any of that big-brain stuff, and while I do think to myself “surely there can’t be another throw, right?” pretty often, I’ve still got enough juicy-looking “Attack” combat-reveals in hand that I end up only getting hit by a single Bonecracker (which I Crash and Flow), while peppering my opponenet with Argagarg’s face cards and even a Blowfish Spikes.

GG;WP to TonyHole for a fun set with chill vibes. Can’t ask for much more than that!

3 Likes

I might write more about this in the future… Here’s how my recent set went:

@Caralad vs. variable

:midori: < :chibilum:
:gloria: < :chibigeiger:
:troq: < :chibiquince:

variable wins, 3-0.

It seems like Caralad had a some unfortunate draws in round one (no Dragon Forms) and three (no War Stomps or Qs).

I hope you have better draws in the later matches and have a good rest of the tournament! Thank you for playing, Caralad! :smiley_cat:

3 Likes

Great set with Jonny d. Got two of the luckiest hands and one of the weirdest I’ve ever had in the Ven game.

:menelker: :psfist: :pschip: :jaina:
:vendetta: :psfist: :pschip: :argagarg:
:valerie: :psfist: :pschip: :valerie:

Hope we can play again soon, ggs man. And thanks migo for casting. I’ll link the video if I remember when it’s up.

Edit:

5 Likes

Videos are up in the Yomi Gameplay thread. Managed to catch both matches :ok_hand:

3 Likes

Ivan vs Karandio - 3:2
:jaina: :pschip: :psfist: :troq:
:degrey: :pschip: :psfist: :valerie:
:setsuki: :psfist: :pschip: :gwen:
:argagarg: :psfist: :pschip: :degrey:
:midori: :psfist: :pschip: :jaina:
Great set man. Rly close one. The last game could go for both side, just lady Luck smiles to me.

4 Likes

Sorry, folks, bugs were had by all, and I was also late to record the Ivan/Kirandio match, so scheduling threads are delayed yet again.

Caralad vs @Nopethebard

:midori: :psfist: :pschip: :lum:
:gloria: :pschip: :psfist: :gwen: - I got run the fuck over in this match
:menelker: :psfist: :pschip: :troq: - Easily the closest game, came pretty much down to the last reveal of dueling 4 normals
:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :rook:

GG’s Nope.

5 Likes

Ivan vs Knifight - 3:1
:degrey: :psfist: :pschip: :lum:
:midori: :psfist: :pschip: :vendetta:
:jaina: :pschip: :psfist: :menelker:
:argagarg: :psfist: :pschip: :valerie:
GGs, man. Very tense set.

5 Likes

@migohunter (aka mi-god) vs. variable:

:persephone::pschip::pscrash::chibigeiger:: Geiger is too solid.
:chibigrave::pscrash::pschip::lum:: I respect counters that aren’t in high supply and get hit numerous times by a very solid range from mi-god. I had a few opportunities for cheap Panda stuff, but I don’t capitalize on them. mi-go played very well this entire set, but I want to specifically commend his play this game as exceptional!
:gwen::pschip::pscrash::chibigloria:: 124+ HP Gloria is mildly unfair.
:chibigeiger::pscrash::pschip::quince:: Geiger is too solid.
:menelker::pschip::pscrash::chibimenelker:: It all comes down to a mirror that has a high likelihood of causing the onlookers to weep. mi-god starts off with a very well-timed Bonecracker and my hand doesn’t recover until many turns later. I’m lucky that mi-go didn’t hit me a bunch with black face cards to further reduce my options, among other things. Fast-forwarding past the boring stuff, I somehow clawed back to a winnable gamestate, but the issue was that DSD was my golden ticket to victory and I pretty much didn’t have the option of playing around blue bursts. So, I just went for it after a dodge. Turns out mi-go didn’t have a Joker this time… ! This was a surprising end to a particularly brutal game! :hushed: #magicpixel

variable wins, 3-2.

ggs, mi-god! It’s always fun to play you! Thank you for mentoring me way back when! I feel like I got lucky to beat you this time! Good luck in the rest of the tournament! I’d be delighted to meet up with you later in the event~ :smiley_cat:

7 Likes
Game @Cypher vs. @Caralad
Round 1 :persephone: :psfist: :pschip: :setsuki:
Round 2 :argagarg: :pschip: :psfist: :troq:
Round 3 :onimaru: :pschip: :psfist: :menelker:
Round 4 :valerie: :psfist: :pschip: :midori:
Round 5 :midori: :pschip: :psfist: :gloria:

Caralad wins, 2-3

• Round 1 – Absolute slugfest, this one was! I call out an early throw with a Power Lash, and even combo my own throw into On Your Knees since I don’t wanna let Setsuki get anything started. Of course, it’s Setsuki, so eventually she beats my Q with her own Q and quickly evens up the life totals. I manage to finish up the fight with some fast attacks, courtesy of my opponent’s shortage of additional Qs.

• Round 2 – Very tough matchup, but I manage to bring Troq down to 18 health by repeatedly throwing repeated dodge attempts. But the allure of getting lethal with a raw Blowfish Spikes is too strong, and how many more dodges could he possibly have, anyways, if he’s using 10s to dodge? Turns out, the answer was “at least one,” and I eat a Beast Unleashed.

• Round 3 – Awkward hands are awkward. No blocks for far too long (and no big damage to dodge into) leave me durdling while my opponent builds a hand. I dodge into a 4 attack, at one point! But, really, when you’re knocked down and your opponent knows that a 2 checkmates your entire hand, what are you gonna do? Once I’ve got a game started, Menelker’s already banished my Jokers, hit me with a wombo combo, and crushed my hopes and dreams.

• Round 4 – An unfamiliar matchup, but not an unwelcome one. A few gutsy throws (into almost no damage, because Valerie) and a couple of hand-emptying combos leave we with a life lead… but an awkward hand with too many throws! I kinda sorta make good-enough use out of them (and Jokering 16 damage from that Whirlwind to draw more cards helped), and eventually manage to duff a throw into an awkward combo for the win.

• Round 5 – Always a pleasure when it comes down to the last round, right? I get some early combat wins for good damage and an early life lead, but after a few good throw duffs, Gloria has Overdosed to single-digit health and filled her whole hand up. In the end it’s super vs. super for the win, as a Twilight Key defeats a stealthy Final Dragon Buster for the win.

GG;WP to Caralad for a properly dramatic set!

4 Likes

Ivan vs migohunter - 3:1
:setsuki: :psfist: :pschip: :menelker:
:midori: :psfist: :pschip: :grave:
:degrey: :pschip: :psfist: :geiger:
:jaina: :psfist: :pschip: :jaina:
GGs!

3 Likes

I use :menelker: instead of :argagarg: but otherwise correct!

1 Like

Gingivitusks v. @Caralad
Caralad wins 3-2

Gingi _ Caralad
:rook::pschip::psfist::vendetta:
:onimaru::psfist::pschip::gloria:
:quince::psfist::pschip::menelker:
:menelker::pschip::psfist::setsuki:
:grave::pschip::psfist::troq:

Fun games! Caralad was a sleepyhead so I’m posting results even though he kicked my buns. It all ended with a AA from Troq clashing with an A from Grave, which I read correctly… but thought Troq AA was 1.2 speed, so… I probably won’t ever forget that again lol.

4 Likes

cpat 3-0 variable
:gloria: > :quince:
:zane: > :geiger:
:menelker: > :gloria:
:gwen: - :menelker: was unplayed.
:degrey: - :lum: was unplayed.

GGs! The games themselves were definitely closer than the scoreline suggests; first two were one combat away.

EDIT: Question for grand finals, @vengefulpickle, do I get the opportunity to pick two different rosters for winners’ side and losers’ side? Will the two matches have different rolls for matchups? Will they be decided at the same time (i.e. if allowed, I cannot change my roster for the second match after knowing the first)?

3 Likes