[TOURNAMENT] Lum's Lucky Lottery: 3 of a Kind

So this was a huge whoops on my part.
The match is supposed to be between @SouthpawHare and @Copper8642, with @Leontes playing the winner. This has been addressed in the match conversation, and I’ve given the match a 1 week extension due to the error.

My sincerest apologies to everyone for this egregious error.

1 Like

Edit: Whoops, wrong message in wrong place. We’re just screwing it up all over.

Regardless, this is fine. No serious harm done.

flagrantangles wins 4-3 vs @Fivec

:zane::psfist::pschip::setsuki: What kind of 20XX nonsense?! Anarchy is a game changer my friends.
:degrey::pschip::psfist::setsuki: Fivec’s legendary Setsuki does work and I get murdered. I don’t do as badly as I normally do though.
:degrey::psfist::pschip::degrey: I rerandom my opponent into DeGrey and we have funny mirror times.
:degrey::psfist::pschip::degrey: My opponent rerandoms me back into DeGrey and we have funnier mirror times.
:vendetta::pschip::psfist::degrey: I am rerandomed into Vendetta, I’m doing okay until the end. I just don’t have the cards and I get thrown when I try to block with a 6 since the attack seemed too risky.
:vendetta::pschip::psfist::persephone: @Niijima-san says that this MU is Vendetta-favored, but I’m not feeling it. It mostly feels even to Persephone-advantaged to me, but I’m not really a Ven player so I’m okay with being wrong about it.
:lum::psfist::pschip::persephone: I figure that because Bare Your Soul is a thing, I should probably just go for straight combat wins. I do get some good ones early on and get Persephone down to around 35 life but then I just can’t seem to get anything started. Eventually Fivec lands Mistress’s Command and I’m put into a situation with all even blocks. Eventually I navigate out of that and take a fair amount of damage. We are both pretty low on life and then I Blackjack dodge the Gold Burst for lethal.

GGs Fivec!

4 Likes

Ggs. I’m disappointed in my DeGrey play, and I feel like I let you off the hook in the last game (I can’t finish sets). That said, you recognized that I was doing the safe thing too often and then somehow always punished me when I didn’t (?!?).

4 Likes

Southpaw Hare vs @Copper8642

:lum: :psfist::pschip: :persephone:

Darkness overtakes the spirit of Randomness, coalescing into a dreaded shape

:lum: :psfist::pschip: :menelker:
:gwen: :psfist::pschip: :menelker:
:midori: :psfist::pschip: :menelker:

Southpaw Hare punches that darkness in the face

Southpaw Hare 4 - 0 Copper
Southpaw Hare wins!

5 Likes

GutterOwl 4-3 Nijima-san

:degrey::psfist::knockdown::grave:
:gloria::psfist::knockdown::grave:
:gloria::knockdown::psfist::lum:
:quince::knockdown::psfist::lum:
:quince::psfist::knockdown::persephone:
:quince::knockdown::psfist::vendetta:
:midori::psfist::knockdown::vendetta:

Thanks for the games, and sorry I was overly self-deprecating before the match. I know, I know.

7 Likes

I believe this is called the Worf Effect, where someone is made look look big and bad and then gets creamed by the the new guy, just to set up how big a threat they are. So in a way I’m helping to create compelling stories.

11 Likes

Or in wrestle-speak: @Niijima-san doing a job and putting @GutterOwl over so the crowd will believe her title run!

3 Likes

GutterOwl is a woman, bee tee dubs.

2 Likes

My bad. Edited

2 Likes

YOMI-O’S! NOW WITH MORE CAGE MATCHES! :smiley:

This is a complete sentence.

2 Likes

:notes: JUI-CER ROCKS! JUI-CER ROCKS! :notes:

(god I hope someone gets this and doesn’t think I’m weird)

3 Likes

Funny story, I actually play the trombone.

2 Likes

mysticjuicer 3 - 4 flagrantangles

:argagarg: :psfist: :pschip: :persephone:
:argagarg: :psfist: :pschip: :gwen:
:argagarg: :psfist: :pschip: :valerie:
:argagarg: :pschip: :psfist: :argagarg:
:argagarg: :pschip: :psfist: :zane:
:argagarg: :pschip: :psfist: :vendetta:
:grave: :pschip: :psfist: :vendetta:

the runback tho! :smiley: ggs @flagrantangles ! that was a hell of a fun set. :smiley: I’ll be aiming to redeem myself against you in grand finals!

edit: and yes, we are now tied up 2-2 in tournament sets

3 Likes

When we open up with Persephone versus Arg, I feel fine but I don’t really get anything started. I also don’t manage my hand very well. OOPS. I random myself.

Gwen versus Arg can be harrowing and I do alright in the beginning but then it all falls apart. I drop all the spaghetti! I random myself again.

Valerie comes up and this feels fine. It’s an even enough matchup. My hand is always a little bit weird but not too weird. I play conservatively into bluffs and never quite do enough. Arg wins wars of attrition, turns out. I random myself yet again.

THE ARG MIRROR. We open up with bubble shields and keep turtling up until I throw his block into the river. Then he reveals YET ANOTHER. But I suspected that and did not run into it. Eventually I get my own shield up and running. I navigate the rest of the game comfortably and the war of attrition tips in my favor. From there, mysticjuicer randoms me.

RNGesus blesses me with Zane, who is a raging butthole. Zane does Zane things and then Arg dies. I am randomed again.

Vendetta, the most powerful of characters, makes an appearance. I don’t start off so great, but I get my murdering boots on eventually and stomp all over Arg. K’s get countered which means that Acrobatics are even more powerful! Turns out that I do not need them. This time mysticjuicer randoms himself.

I see Grave and I practically shit myself since my understanding is that this matchup is butts for Vendetta. However, I’ve played against @Attilian plenty so I feel like that gives me an edge. I took a strategic loss in the beginning so I didn’t have to keep dealing with Grave’s Jack. After that, I’ve got my finger on the rhythm of the match and I’m able to hit Maximum Ven twice! Soon, however, my hand is not great and Grave has used Martial Mastery so I have to keep the dominant throw and dodges in hand to threaten the mixup since he’s got TPoS. Eventually he gives up on TPoS as a plan and just tries to cash out the aces individually. I get hit by one, block one, and acro another. Eventually I close the match with a topdecked 7-throw. Hot crackers!

Also, I don’t think I triggered Knowing The Opponent once.

GGs @mysticjuicer

3 Likes

LR3 @Zqxx vs MR 0-4

:bbb::pschip::psfist::midori: got a good start with some good guessing, then he took me to range. I bravely block his Q at range (:sob:), but came out of range with not much dmg at last. Then we go down to 15 hp vs 17hp: I hit with Q (in Dragon Form), but he jokerd my 4 follow up… 1vs17. Closed by a WoE

:gloria::pschip::psfist::midori: ok, here another good start for me, but Gloria could easily comeback with healing. Luckly he got some really bad draws, while I drew my 2s any time I was thrown in dragon form (:blush:)

:menelker::pschip::psfist::midori: good combat wins percentage… and no 7s on menelker side!

:geiger::pschip::psfist::midori: We both hate geiger (like most of players I guess…). But this time Geiger had a low arsenal: no Js and no As and TD till last turn, when TSH was outspeeded by WoE

GGs Zqxx, Lucky Lottery is…a lottery!

4 Likes

Leontes vs @SouthpawHare

:gloria::psfist::knockdown::persephone:
:gloria::knockdown::psfist::jaina:
:setsuki::psfist::knockdown::jaina:
:setsuki::psfist::knockdown::onimaru:
:geiger::psfist::knockdown::onimaru:

ggs! top tier characters are strong

3 Likes

SirHandsome VS variable

:degrey: > :gwen:
:gwen: > :gwen:
:gwen: < :lum:
:rook: > :lum:
:setsuki: > :lum:

4-1

3 Likes

GutterOwl 4-3 @SirHandsome

:zane::psfist::knockdown::jaina: fortuitous start
:grave::knockdown::psfist::jaina:
:menelker::knockdown::psfist::jaina: opponent is too smart to fall for the copper system.
:vendetta::psfist::knockdown::jaina:
:vendetta::psfist::knockdown::zane: gotta stop shit-talking ven, he’s been putting in work for me.
:vendetta::knockdown::psfist::quince: aaaaand into the washing machine
:troq::psfist::knockdown::quince: came down to 10 life a side. he knew I had AA, but not my hidden third ace. beats also just felt like the instinctually “riskier” move, so less likely to be picked against. Whether I read my opponent or just lucksacked, the bass dropped and I lived to fraud another day.

good set, dude. took a year off my life.

3 Likes

Whew, nailbiter here!

Leontes beats MR75 4-3

:jaina::knockdown::psfist::menelker:
:degrey::psfist::knockdown::menelker:
:grave::psfist::knockdown::menelker:
:onimaru::knockdown::psfist::menelker:
:grave::knockdown::psfist::menelker:
:degrey::psfist::knockdown::menelker:
:setsuki::psfist::knockdown::menelker:

It worked out that I was able to random every time, and got a lot of strong anti-:menelker: matchups! But he still drew it out to a game 7 with some very strong play. Looking forward to playing you more in the future!

5 Likes