[Tournament] eXperimental Codex Asynchronous Fall ~~Swiss~~ Round Robin (XCAFS19)

Arright we’re running a little behind, but since I’m going camping for the next couple days, I’m posting round 3 matches today so people can get started on them as they like! GL HF everyone!

Side note: remember to tag me when your game ends, and feel free to check the challonge links for current standings of players and decks! I’ll start tallying deck + player wins after this next round is complete

XCAFRR19 Round 3

Group A

1. [XCAFRR19 Round3] James [Necromancy]/Blood/Present vs Persephone [Strength]/Feral/Growth
  2. [XCAFRR19 Round3] bomber678 [Demonology]/Disease/Necromancy vs Nopethebard [Discipline]/Strength/Finesse
  3. [XCAFRR19 Round3] Taz [Discipline]/Necromancy/Law vs EricF [Fire]/Truth/Disease
  4. [XCAFRR19 Round3] bolyarich [Feral]/Growth/Disease vs charnel_mouse [Balance]/Disease/Growth

Group B

1. [XCAFRR19 Round3] frozenstorm [Anarchy]/Past/Strength vs CarpeGuitarrem [Peace]/Discipline/Disease
  2. [XCAFRR19 Round3] Zhavier [Past]/Present/Future vs OffKilter [Fire]/Present/Growth
  3. [XCAFRR19 Round3] dwarddd [Discipline]/Peace/Past vs UrbanVelvet [Demonology]/Necromancy/Finesse
  4. [XCAFRR19 Round3] codexnewb [Future]/Peace/Anarchy vs Leaky [Discipline]/Disease/Law

On Bye Player: @NekoAtl, On Bye Deck: [Demonology]/Growth/Strength

3 Likes

I’m playing mono black again?

Yes. As has been discussed previously, I’m not controlling super hard for only “test drives” for the “cars”; the players are in a round robin, the decks are in a round robin, and I’m pairing those combos up in a “dumb” (read: easy for me to administer) way. So the priority was (mis?)placed by me to have no decks play the same matchups (I could figure out how to do that via two Challonge auto-genned brackets), but could not come up with an easy way to stop player + deck repeats.

I got a repeat deck round 1 and 2, so did a couple other players, and you’re bound to get repeats as time goes on. If you have a better solution for next time and an easy way for it to get tracked and posted via a spreadsheet, I’m all ears for next time. For this tourney, though, this is what we’re doin.

Nah it’s cool man, just double checking.
I don’t know anything about like, complicated tournament formats and matching formulae.

2 Likes

Same fam lol… I may have to discontinue XCAFS and XCAPS in favor of vanilla swiss just b/c admin-ing weird one-off stuff is a mess

3 Likes

I’ll admin the next weird one off :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hey all, due to Taz going MIA and currently having to operate with a player on BYE, I’m going to attempt to slot the player that would otherwise be on BYE into Taz’s spot and hope that we get some more games for the group A decks and players. It’s going to require me moving to manual stat tracking, but I think hopefully I can make that work out. Please be patient with me as while I’ll be making my best effort, this is frought and liable to make mistakes (let’s never do a crazy format like this again eh? ^_^) It beats two players on bye each round though right?

GL HF all!

XCAFRR19 Round 4

Group A

1. [XCAFRR19 Round4] EricF [Fire]/Truth/Disease vs bolyarich [Demonology]/Disease/Necromancy
  2. [XCAFRR19 Round4] Nopethebard [Strength]/Feral/Growth vs charnel_mouse [Feral]/Growth/Disease
  3. [XCAFRR19 Round4] Persephone [Discipline]/Strength/Finesse vs bomber678 [Necromancy]/Blood/Present
  4. [XCAFRR19 Round4] NekoAtl [Balance]/Disease/Growth vs James [Discipline]/Necromancy/Law

Group B

1. [XCAFRR19 Round4] UrbanVelvet [Demonology]/Necromancy/Finesse vs Zhavier [Future]/Peace/Anarchy
  2. [XCAFRR19 Round4] CarpeGuitarrem [Fire]/Present/Growth vs codexnewb [Discipline]/Disease/Law
  3. [XCAFRR19 Round4] OffKilter [Peace]/Discipline/Disease vs frozenstorm [Past]/Present/Future
  4. [XCAFRR19 Round4] Leaky [Demonology]/Growth/Strength vs dwarddd [Anarchy]/Past/Strength
    On Bye (Indefinitely) Player: @Taz, On Bye Deck: [Discipline]/Peace/Past
5 Likes

Taz’s deck should also be on indefinite bye status, and slotted in the same way taz’s slot is.

2 Likes

Yep, that’s my plan. Those are two independent things, so Group A is going to get weird with their game counts (due to earlier byes, some players are going to have more games than others for awhile).

By the way, I promised a combined standings update! here it is:

Player Deck TOTAL WINS TOTAL LOSSES TOTAL WIN %
frozenstorm [Demonology]/Disease/Necromancy 5 1 83.33%
James [Anarchy]/Past/Strength 4 1 80.00%
EricF [Demonology]/Necromancy/Finesse 4 2 66.67%
bomber678 [Past]/Present/Future 4 2 66.67%
Zhavier [Discipline]/Strength/Finesse 4 2 66.67%
Persephone [Peace]/Discipline/Disease 2 1 66.67%
codexnewb [Discipline]/Necromancy/Law 3.5 2.5 58.33%
charnel_mouse [Discipline]/Disease/Law 3 3 50.00%
Leaky [Feral]/Growth/Disease 3 3 50.00%
dwarddd [Strength]/Feral/Growth 2 2 50.00%
bolyarich [Future]/Peace/Anarchy 2 2 50.00%
NekoAtl [Demonology]/Growth/Strength 2 2 50.00%
OffKilter [Balance]/Disease/Growth 2.5 3.5 41.67%
Taz [Discipline]/Peace/Past 2 4 33.33%
UrbanVelvet [Fire]/Truth/Disease 1.5 3.5 30.00%
CarpeGuitarrem [Necromancy]/Blood/Present 0.5 4.5 10.00%
Nopethebard [Fire]/Present/Growth 0 6 0.00%

Note that the .5s are due to issuing ties to the decks involved in Taz’s round 2 and 3 games, seemed the fairest thing to do.

You can always check these standings by going to this spreadsheet link

3 Likes

I don’t expect to win the tournament. I just hope I don’t end with 0.0% as my final win rate. That would be very sad.

2 Likes

I would be surprised to see anyone end things at 0%, given the semi-randomness of the matchups either you or your deck should end up in some favorable matchups over the course of all 7/8 rounds

2 Likes

I’m doin’ what I can about that!

2 Likes

If I end up with 0.0% on just my end, I’ll be frustrated for sure. I made a weird deck so I’ll only be a little surprised if no one manages to win with it

@Nopethebard For what it’s worth, you can lose every single one and still be a good player. I know that you play a good game from experience

4 Likes

I always seem to do worse in tournaments than in casual play. I guess because people wait until tournaments to go all out but I generally don’t

3 Likes

That’s true in both Codex and Yomi

This seems really funny to me after that time we played a bunch of practice games, all of which I won, only for me to lose to you right away in the tournament.

4 Likes

I definitely go all out in tournaments and almost never play casual. It’s a different mindset, and for me, tournaments are much more fun and interesting.

Not to say I don’t enjoy a good ol’ casual match of whatever, but really challenging myself and others is how I glean the most enjoyment from these games.

3 Likes

I usually play casual games like something is on the line. I play casual games as a way to practice. Also because tournaments don’t give me enough matches to suit me.

1 Like

I don’t remember ever beating you in a tournament and I couldn’t find the match in question