Our poll tied for format between
Car, not Driver (you submit a deck, but don’t play it; you’re instead assigned one from the pool of other submitted decks. You get a point each round if you win your matchup, and another point if the deck you submitted wins)
and Random Map Card / Round.
I’m going to make an executive decision that Car, not Driver sounds more fun, and thus we’ll be doing that! Tourney will start around the last week of the month (exact date tbd)
The eXperimental Codex Asynchronous Fall
Swiss Round Robin tournament for 2019 is in progress!
This will be a Round Robin tournament, one match per week, with a grace period if your match doesn’t finish on time. We’re doing Car, not Driver, a weird format where you submit a deck for other players to play, and are scored by their wins as a player as well as their deck’s wins.
First matches paired Wednesday, September 25th at 2pm CDT (UTC-5) in this thread! Please set the thread to “Watching” below to ensure you are notified of new pairings
Nit picky details of how pairings will work
General Rules / TLDR of How Things Work:
- The player who goes first in each round will be pre-determined
- If one player has gone first fewer times in the tournament (not counting BYEs), that player goes first, otherwise, the first player is decided randomly.
- The first player is responsible for creating the game thread
- Tag @FrozenStorm when a winner has been determined.
- We’ll do round robin groups to separate the decks and players for ease of matchmaking. 7 Rounds then a cut to the top 4
- Matches are 1 game.
- The default will be to play all matches as play-by-post within the forum, but a match may be played in an alternate format (in person, on an alternate platform, via snail-mail, whatever) by mutual agreement, until the field is reduced to four or fewer players.
- I am accepting volunteers to help Judge the event. You could be an authorized judge! @zhavier and @legion have been authorized
- If any rulings are necessary, any single Judge who is not participating in that match may make a ruling.
- Rulings are subject to appeal only if the judge making the ruling is wrong about the facts of the game (eg, forgetting that a Building Inspector is in play, or the Shrine of Forbidden Knowledge only makes Demons unstoppable by units) or the rules/FAQ as noted at sirlin.net/rules and/or the Rulings thread.
- Please note the forum suggested post generation spreadsheet, or one of the other format suggestions (like this or this) such that it includes include hand, tech and worker decisions, either in a details + spoiler combo
I’m very secret and hard for my opponent to see by accident
- or in a linked source that I can get to. This helps with judgements, adjudication, as well as spectators. For games involving me, you can send a private link to a different judge if you so choose, but as with all PbF games, honor system is in place: don’t peek at your opponent’s spoilers, just as you wouldn’t grab cards out of your opponent’s hand / deck / discard / worker pile and look at them!
New pairings will be posted roughly every Wednesday. Matches that are not progressing may be given an adjudicated result.
I will endeavor to post new pairings every Wednesday, but the “tournament week” is considered to be from one round of pairings posted to the next (so possibly more or less than an actual calendar week).
List of players participating:
Sign up via a DM to me or replying to this thread with “I’m in”!