[Tournament] Balance Team Battle II - Ongoing

Yeah I think there was like, one bad heal-dump in that Gloria game along with the pivotal turn when you called me out with a rising throw from KD that first game and then my hands were just mega-awkward. I was feeling so good, too, I opened with K :heart: into A :heart: Overdose…

Wild stuff!

1 Like

cpat 3-1 @Cypher
:degrey: > :onimaru: - Very fortunate MU for me. Had a strange hand with lots of 7s/throws and bad followup, so had to play it slow until I could convert damage. Hit the classic 6-attack into AA to end it.
:zane: > :argagarg: - Another weird looking hand so I decided to turtle up with the occasional throw. Faked having MA by the midgame, but Shenanigans revealed an A off a throw so the jig was up. Played into Slipstream, powered back up for it, drew the fourth Ace, and landed Anarchy.
:lum: < :midori: - Very thoroughly outplayed. Didn’t help that I bricked all but one RTD but Cypher played this one extremely well. I wasn’t allowed to block out and Cypher’s throw timings were very solid. Had to go for broke and got hit by FDB for my troubles.
:grave: > :persephone: - Hit with T1 MC, but I am able to survive the first Dominance attempt by timerscam. Could’ve definitely looked very different if that didn’t happen. Unfortunately by this point, Perse isn’t really able to get going despite multiple BYSs and I’m able to use a couple KTO gambits to hit straights for Aces, and finish out with TPoS.

GGs!

7 Likes

flagrantangles 3-1 vs @SouthpawHare
:quince::pschip::psfist::bbb: I tried to make this game mine but it was so hard to keep everything together. I did alright in the beginning, but, by the end, I was too frazzled and fragile to play properly against BBB.
:persephone::psfist::pschip::zane: This game I thought was going to go really poorly, especially after T2 2Q9J, but, as it turns out, Persephone’s AA isn’t actually bad and playing it a lot is what saved me. That and Dominance triggering off of Zane’s K. Oh and BYS revealing both of Zane’s jokers.
:valerie::psfist::pschip::gloria: I was leery about this MU especially after Southpaw was maneuvering me into a very deadly life total, but, I manage to sneak in a throw and have the damage to murder Gloria. If he’d had the joker, however, he would have won via Overdose.
:rook::psfist::pschip::rook: I think we both had block starved hands in the beginning, especially since we clashed with 6-throws on T1. After that, we get some good licks and wallops in and then CMB was a spectre from SPH that I mostly ignored. It worked out for me and then we go back to trading hits until we’re at fairly comparable totals and then the real game begins. Eventually I manage to land back to back Wall of Vines to close out the match.

5 Likes

migohunter vs @Owlflame

:jaina: :psfist: :pschip: :onimaru: Down to last combat pretty much
:quince: :psfist: :pschip: :zane: Down to last combat pretty much
:gwen: :psfist: :pschip: :quince: Resigned about halfway through the match

GGs mate, close games. Sorry you didn’t get to play Menelker both of your tournament matches, there are better tournament formats for character enthusiasts.

4 Likes

cpat 3-0 @ArthurWynne

:degrey: > :midori: - Got three silent Aces in the early-game, so I took an early lead. Kept the pressure up with some cheeky throws (except I did get hit by 678) as Midori runs low on cards. Nearly ran out of cards myself as Midori tries to throw me a lot in return in his last stand but I finally catch him reaching and punish it with J for the win.
:zane: > :geiger: - Classic Zane-Geiger MU: I always say whoever has more cards when someone hits 40 life should win. He hits a couple blocks with Time Spirals but I am able to get to the midgame with a lot more cards and evenish life. ArthurWynne tries to get a couple TDs going on low cards but I throw him out of it each time. By the endgame, I power up for Anarchy and eventually throw him to death.
:grave: > :grave: - Goofy match all around. Start with two sets of J trades into double Martial Mastery on T3, where I see a couple silent Aces. By the midgame I draw all four Queens (and one more courtesy of KtO), but unfortunately one gets dodged and I eat TPoS for it. I play my third Queen to drop him below 45, and instead of playing the fourth Queen (which was known because I deliberately used the wrong ones earlier), I decide to dodge his Queen into my own (mostly silent) TPoS for the win.

GGs. Got pretty lucky with the draws today, and fortunately did not have to play games 4 and 5 where I was on the losing end for matchups.

6 Likes

Caralad vs @Kathandu

:lum: :psfist: :pschip: :degrey:
:troq: :pschip: :psfist: :quince:
:setsuki: :pschip: :psfist: :lum:
:rook: :psfist: :pschip: :menelker:
:midori: :psfist: :pschip: :grave:

GG’s Kathandu, good luck in the lower bracket.

5 Likes

Grapplers man! Bane of my existence haha. Very well played though! Good luck in your future matches.

3 Likes

Cypher vs. @Ivan

Game Cypher Ivan
1 :persephone: :psfist: :pschip: :argagarg:
2 :argagarg: :psfist: :pschip: :midori:
3 :onimaru: :pschip: :psfist: :geiger:
4 :zane: :pschip: :psfist: :jaina:
5 :midori: :psfist: :pschip: :degrey:

Cypher wins, 3:2

• Game 1 had some proper back-and-forth, with Ivan being able to escape the first vortex no problem. The second vortex was a different story, and he wasn’t able to threaten Blowfish Spikes early enough, so by the time it came online I was already in a strong position.
  • Game 2 was a bad start for me: attacking into his block and then watching him throw my Bubble Shield. After that, though, I stabilized and ran Midori out of dodges, eventually winning with a typical Argagarg attack-heavy range to keep those grabby grappler-arms away.
  • Game 3 saw Ivan outplaying the heck out of me. Despite landing a few of Onimaru’s powerful attacks (and early pumped 10, and a Final Authority’d triple-K to stop Temporal Distortion), Ivan played the percentages really well and won almost every combat. He made great use of knockdown, and ended the match by outspeeding my wakeup Q with a Cycloid Revolution.
  • Game 4 also went his way, and although I wasn’t tilted or anything I was certainly playing pretty sloppy. Despite getting a number of knockdowns, I wasn’t able to land a single meaty attack due to Ivan rudely calling out my stubbornness with his Aces. Like the last round, he won comfortably.
  • Game 5 was a matchup that Midori players don’t really like, but it was one I’m really comfortable with. After disabling his first Ace dodge (and getting put to sleep by some of his throws), I achieved a strong life-and-hand position through a typical block/throw range (aided by Ivan’s inability to draw a 7). I called out his own range-shift when I punished a Pilebunker with a 5 attack. Of course, then he called out my Dragon Form plan by immediately throwing my block (despite having a hand full of Ks and Aces, I wanted my Q back, too!). The set ended me with AA attacking through his Troublesome Rhetoric twice for the win.

Good games and well played, Ivan! Really fun set!

6 Likes

@vengefulpickle My opponent never responded this round. What should I do?

I’ll assign forfeits shortly. I think your opponent also missed last round

1 Like

Carpe vs @SouthpawHare

:onimaru: :pschip: :psfist: :gloria: SPH sniffs out my aggressive attacks and recurs 7-dodge to checkmate me after reaping loads of value from Healing Spheres
:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :zane: I play a very patient game and hang on to two silent Aces for a late-game dodge into BU for lethal, also very interesting how Lockhorn turns into a decent reversal here
:gloria: :psfist: :pschip: :vendetta: I draw both jokers, which is enough to stop a massive damage turn from Ven; otherwise, I just slowly whittle Ven down with Overdose
:setsuki: :psfist: :pschip: :rook: BIG ROCK MAN IS BACK HELP. I live in terror of Choicemake Buster, and eventually call it out with a boop, leaving Rook at 4 HP with my hand…some weird awkward hands filled with throws, I guess Setsuki really is a grappler

GGs! I can’t say I’m sorry about missing the game 5 BBB vs. Quince.

4 Likes

mastrblastr 3 - 2 @flagrantangles
:argagarg: < :geiger: went down to last combat 2 and 3 cards left in each of our respective decks, I had 7s where i could force deck out but was 2hp away from having the life lead.
:troq: > :persephone: my 4hp vs perse 1hp, my 10 to force deckout is the 54th card in deck so I have to win the final combat and my BU does it.
:degrey: > :valerie: T1 AQ6J T2 9AA and joker to spare insane opening hand made the final damage mostly academic
:zane: < :quince: quince goes T1 A and that checkmates my entire hand of 379TTKK. I lose 60 quickly, get a KD loop bring it back close threaten anarchy and die with it in hand
:onimaru: > :rook: Rook was able to get many aces I had many 10s. my attack beat CMB my FA best WoV and I was able to win at the always incredibly terrifying 50hp.

Great wild games that was a ton of fun!

8 Likes

ratxt1 vs feathers
:onimaru: :pschip: :psfist: :argagarg: I hit T turn one, which makes this a playable MU (but probably still bad tbh. Arg legit has a 20point lifelead). That being said I kind of wanted to win the MU a little too much which is not the mindset to be in. So was mildly salty when last combat came down to whether or not I had a 9 or not (which I didn’t).
:zane: :psfist: :pschip: :zane: Typical zane mirror game. Almost all the damage on both sides came from unbeatable odd attacks. The last turn I had hidden AA in neutral which is about as good as it gets.
:geiger: :psfist: :pschip: :grave: I have a lot of experience in this MU so was feeling good. dodged out a GB but then the classic second joker FD blocked my AAA lethal attempt. Managed to close it out a bit later though.
:argagarg: :psfist: :pschip: :onimaru: I practiced this MU a little just to ensure I would not mess it up, since it is SO good for Arg. The more I play it the more lopsided it feels.

8 Likes

First match honestly sounds like some intensely good play, Oni-Arg is 100% my nightmare MU.

1 Like

vengefulpickle vs @migohunter

:zane::pschip::psfist::gwen: - I get got by oh-so-many fast attacks (and interminable throws)
:setsuki::psfist::pschip::menelker: - Turn 1 nets me 23 damage. Rest of the game is me trying to take advantage of what looks like a rough hand on migo’s part
:persephone::psfist::pschip::grave: - Some back and forth before I manage to avoid the inevitable mid-game TPOS. Very even life totals, no loops to speak of. Win the game off of late game Qs and AAs.
:bbb::psfist::pschip::jaina: - I get a turn 1 AA to put Jaina on the life deficit. I only make to it range once, and get gold-bursted out. Then I hit twice for lethal in chicken out because I’m respecting Jokers that never come. Got enough dodges to close it out, though.

GGs, Migo, that was a scary set.

6 Likes

I would like to say that I think I played the Geiger/Arg matchup pretty well most of the time. There were a couple of times when I lost concentration and flailed, but I feel especially proud of how I played that one. I feel similarly about the Troq/Persephone matchup but I didn’t manage to clutch that one. Valerie/DeGrey went alarmingly awry immediately. I was nervous about Quince/Zane and was super frazzled but managed to steal it with the classic bonk: Q into Q++ despite the looming threat of Anarchy. Rook/Onimaru was…okay but I basically lost all mental fortitude on the previous 4 games so we’re just gonna let it slide. :laughing:

3 Likes

mastrblastr 3 - 2 @Caralad
:zane: > :setsuki: i eat FC turn 1 b/c i led 9 atk. i dodged into k dodged into K 9 clash with A to deal a quick 29. gets to us both at 20 and I seal win with the rare 3Q3Q combo for exactsies
:troq: < :midori: midori things happened, troq things ALMOST happened but I wasn’t able to connect on as many good moves as I needed to. Caralad played the MU perfectly.
:degrey: > :troq: I had all 4 Qs over the course of the game and drew all my 6s and lots of 5s. Just consistently had hands where attack was a super high payoff which is very rare and also extremely good in this MU. Really good hand variance for me
:argagarg: < :lum: drew 4 throws over 36 cards and 2 of my throws got undercut or bonked for huge damage. was still supremely close because the MU is unreal, got BS on 3 times caralad got out all 3, stayed patient played it really well put himself in a position to win and closed it out in style with hitting the joker for 21 jackpot
:onimaru: > :rook: Oni remains Bae for me, Aces defuse what were probably 2 separate RA attempts, had lots of Qs Aces and 8s and basically just was able to mono attack via a different style of attack each turn for the win.

GGs caralad , I got extremely lucky on what our 5 matchups were and you still brought it within a whisker of pulling it out.

5 Likes

Deluks 3-2 Nope
Lum < Rook
Geiger > Midori
Arg > Quince
Grave < Oni
Degrey > Troq

6 Likes

Deluks 3-0 Kathandu
Arg > Menelker
Degrey > Degrey
Grave > Lum

5 Likes

Sorry, is the 3-2 a typo, or are there matches missing?