[Tournament] Balance Team Battle II - Ongoing

Wyatt Mason 3-2 Kathandu

1 Like

typo. I was spectating.

2 Likes

Sorry yeah it was 3-0

2 Likes

cpat 3-0 @ratxt1
:jaina: > :geiger: - Got off to a pretty lucky start; Geiger was missing the earlygame components that make this match-up so favored for him (namely K, AA, and J), and I was able to pick up on this and punish. I had a very healthy lifelead by the endgame but despite that, Geiger was nearly able to bring it down to a single TD combat; luckily I threw his dodge and it was lethal with one Smouldering Embers in the discard.
:degrey: > :argagarg: - Just drew the nuts this game. 444777JQQKKAAA by the end. Absolutely absurd. Hit a couple 7s and a couple A-dodges and unfortunately that is too much for Argagarg.
:lum: > :onimaru: - Interesting game. I ate two T-attacks quite early but we were both able to build up fairly large hands by the midgame. I drew three of my Aces early but didnā€™t want to go for something as crazy as AA+A. Spent a lot of time looking for more Poker Flourish as I was slowly whittled down by throws. At the end, I was trying very hard to hit a Straight Flush that actually wasnā€™t there because I had the wrong red Jack, but I was able to sniff out a throw with J678 to attempt that Straight Flush, a second throw with JQQ, and end it with a more traditional Poker Flourish for a nice little comeback. (Also no one remembers good luck with RtD but I returned 100% of my facecards this game, which is always nice.)

GGs.

7 Likes

vengefulpickle 3-0 @feathers

:setsuki::psfist::pschip::quince: - I started of w/ Q++6AA, and just never let off the gas.
:zane::psfist::pschip::grave: - No big supers to be seen, just managed to sneak my way into regular old bonkers Zane damage.
:vendetta::psfist::pschip::zane: - Bonkers draws again. Got to open w/ a successful K throw, spam 7s all day, and then close out w/ a surgical strike.

GGs, @feathers!

3 Likes

ArthurWynne vs @CarpeGuitarrem

Absurdly close set, I advise anyone to watch the replays! Iā€™m a little too scrambled in the head right now to give it the writeup it deserves so this will be rather minimalist.

:zane: :psfist: :knockdown: :setsuki: Setsuki was winning about 90% of combats - unfortunately MA was in the 10%. Pure robbery.
:geiger: :knockdown: :psfist: :troq: Played too scared before he got 2 attached blocks, not scared enough afterwards.
:midori: :knockdown: :clock1: :quince: Ultra-close game ended in Flagstone Tax timeout checkmate.
:degrey: :psfist: :knockdown: :onimaru: Oni had the reads, but DeGrey has the damage conversion. Super-close game with a nerve-wracking finish, this did not feel like Oniā€™s worst MU!
:grave: :psfist: :knockdown: :gloria: Ominous stormclouds hung over the game from turn 1, but never brokeā€¦ absurdly close finish to the final, final round.

Final result: 3-2 to ArthurWynne

5 Likes

To elaborate on the second game:

Arthur reaches 45 life, chats ā€œIā€™m in dangerā€
I topdeck the third Ace literally on the next draw, and the rest is history

Iā€™m also kicking myself for failing to play lethal into a facedown on the DG-Oni game.

3 Likes

Ah, so you didnā€™t have it! I had both jokers (speaking of kicking ourselves), but I didnā€™t want to spend one on a gold burst since I expected youā€™d hang on to the threat if it was real.

1 Like

hahaha yeah I topdecked the BU.

flagrantangles wins 3-1 vs @Cypher
:persephone::pschip::psfist::argagarg: I was aimless and loose and Cypher was not. They drowned Persephone quickly and proficiently.
:quince::psfist::pschip::onimaru: I am not unfamiliar with this matchup and I felt confident in my ability to win it. Itā€™s definitely a war of attrition but that gives Quince time to build a hand. As it turns out, characters that want large hands and can vortex are maybe advantaged against characters who want large hands but do not vortex.
:valerie::psfist::pschip::midori: This game was nuts. Midori hits Valerie with so much damage in the beginning. I got my Chromatic Orb dodged into J+ on turn 2 and then, not long after that, I had my Chromatic Orb outsped by a Glimpsed Q into J+. After that, I threw some damage into a dumpster when two moderately large combos were bursted. Now the game could truly begin and it turns out that brave throws while Midori is in Dragon Form saved my buns. Come the end of the game, Midori normal throws into 8 and left me at 1 life. I topdecked the Q I need to survive the known Q in his hand. I immediately play a throw because I expect a dodge or a block and I figured Iā€™ll take the risk. It was, in fact, a block and I was able to play lethal.
:geiger::psfist::pschip::persephone: My experience with this MU is entirely against bots as Persephone and I have always found that an aggressive Geiger doesnā€™t give Persephone time to build up resources to play this as cleanly as she might want. I play aggressively and power up for Cycloid very early in the game but donā€™t play it. I threaten it constantly though and this lets me throw with impunity. I take some licks, but I mostly whittle down Persephoneā€™s life until weā€™re forced into a very unfavorable position for Perspehone. I play Cycloid at her and she vanishes.

4 Likes

cpat 3-0 @mastrblastr

:jaina: > :argagarg: - Got two blocks off early and was blessed with a large number of early throws in my hand. I threw the first Bubble Shield but not the second; luckily I had another throw to immediately knock it off. After a couple traded blows, I was finally able to sneak a K in and go for the 28 damage followup on the bluff, and dodge the normal next turn into Q+ for the win.
:grave: > :zane: - Got two blocks thrown immediately so I was put in a rough spot early, down nearly half my life in two combats. I jabbed out the third throw with no additional followup, so things were looking kind of bad for me with an awkward hand. I used Martial Mastery once to reveal his hand of 2233Q, but I am outplayed here and unable to punish this effectively: just a couple empty throws and we both built resources instead. By this point, I had three Kings and instead of the throw follow-up, I decided to try for the TPoS. To my shock, MB was able to power-up for Anarchy the same turn, and I revealed his hand once more: 28AAAA. I went for the ā€œobvious please donā€™t kill meā€ dodge, and ended up dodging the Anarchy into 45. Zane was unable to recover resources and I ended up closing out quite comfortably.
:degrey: > :degrey: - This game was a long one. MB powered up for two Aces early, and outsped my 6 with a 5, I bluffed and he did not follow up. I got 7-thrown, I bluff and he did not follow up. A couple turns later, I got 7-thrown again, I bluffed and finally the AA came out. Meanwhile, I was very slowly building up cards and finally able to win a couple low-damage combats. At one point, I crucially played 7-throw, wasted his Joker, and dodged the ensuing AA, leaving him at only 4 cards and myself at 8, which allowed me more wiggle room. However, I played with my food here a lot in this game by not powering up for Aces, until I finally drew one at 21 cards left in the deck, at which point I powered up for more. We whittled each other down a bit, and notably I played 6-attacks on two TR turns, beating a couple throws. The next combat, his 5-attack beat my 6-attack, at which point I felt pretty strongly that MB was finally out of throws and stuck with an awkward hand (I felt very safe going for this kind of ā€œcrazyā€ reveal with a Joker in hand and one in the deck). We went dodge-dodge for a turn and on the next, I hedge a bet on not dying to Q into AA (it was also fairly likely I had Joker in hand anyway) and correctly read the A-dodge with my 7-throw (which also would have beat the unlikely topdeck throw) and confirm AA for the win. Fun fact, I had four of my slow attacks outsped by slightly faster slow attacks this game.

GGs, I think that third DeGrey game was a cool watch, as evidenced by the essay I wrote about it.

3 Likes

deluks 3-1 Flagrantangles
Geiger < Perse
Grave > Val
Lum > Quince
Degrey > Geiger

2 Likes

vengefulpickle 3-2 @ArthurWynne
:zane::pschip::psfist::grave: - This was a couple of days ago, but I think I just got outplayed, never got to use my good tools.
:persephone::psfist::pschip::midori: - I think I played a more aggressive range than @ArthurWynne was expecting, and managed to catch out a number of 2 throws, and also throw a decent number of blocks. Still came down pretty close to the wire.
:bbb::pschip::psfist::degrey: - Hoo, boy, I got bonked hard. Got to range once, but @ArthurWynne blocked like a champ and then Qā€™d out, so I didnā€™t get much value. Then A dodges wrecked me in the neutral.
:setsuki::psfist::pschip::geiger: - Perfect. Turns out, just winning combat is a great way to win a game.
:vendetta::psfist::pschip::zane: - Perfect. Started w/ 3s and a K in hand, got the KD on the opening turn. The rest of the game was basically just looping both sides of Ks, with the occasional 3 thrown in. @ArthurWynne reports being checkmated the entire time. :zane::knockdown: is a sad time.

GGs!

4 Likes

I could have dodged in turn 1, but not into anything sensible, so yeah, functionally checkmate - I had no Kings, and eventually no blocks either.

1 Like

Oof that sounds miserable, very similar to the Zane mirror once Zane gets knocked down.

deluks917 3-0 Ratxt1
Grave > Oni
Arg > Zane
Degrey > Perse

4 Likes

Caralad vs @vengefulpickle

:lum: :psfist: :pschip: :setsuki: - I build up a early hand by blocking, and power up for 2 aces. I manage to undercut a Single A poke with a ā€œTrue power of Pandaā€ and from there Lum doesnā€™t have to win many more combats
:midori: :pschip: :psfist: :zane: - This was a slobberknocker. I lose 2 Aā€™s early from a C&D, get them back via a gold burst, eat an almost silent MA when I try to K throw, dodge into my own AAAA super, and still manage to lose.
:setsuki: :psfist: :pschip: :bbb: - This MU is super rough for BBB. But then I consider BBB possibly the worst in the game. A perfecto
:rook: :psfist: :pschip: :persephone: - Iā€™d like to thank all the perseā€™s Iā€™ve played in my first couple of years for kicking my ass in the perse vs grappler MU so many times, for finally getting me comfortable against her. VP never manages to get the full loop going, and I end up basically winning with value.

GGā€™s VP. A pleasure as always, and thanks for being patient with me when I said I had no idea when I could play this week. The threat of furlough/lockdown takes it out of you.

3 Likes

deluks917 3-0 Caralad
Arg > Lum
Degrey > Midori
Geiger > Setsuki

3 Likes

deluks 3-2 MB
Grave > Arg
Geiger > Troq
Degrey < Degrey
Lum < Oni
Arg > Zane

Please post both sets so we can finish it in one go @vengefulpickle

3 Likes

cpat 3-0 deluks917
:degrey: > :degrey:
:zane: > :lum:
:grave: > :grave:

Couple of nailbiter games. Go watch the replay, very fun set. GGs.

4 Likes