Summer Smash IV

:thinking:

So itā€™s ā€œjuicy hamburger sitting in front of you on the table but youā€™re not allowed to chow downā€ sort of purgatory.

2 Likes

Come to the lounge and play non-tournament matches. They have all the drama and excitement of tournament matches without the added drama and excitement of being tournament matches.

They are fun though.

8 Likes

Holy hell this was the most tense set Iā€™ve ever played

Three Headed Monkey vs @Attilian (loserā€™s bracket)

:degrey: :psfist::pschip: :lum:
:degrey: :pschip::psfist: :zane:
:onimaru: :pschip::psfist: :zane:
:onimaru: :psfist::pschip: :zane:
:onimaru: :psfist::pschip: :degrey:
:onimaru: :pschip::psfist: :degrey:
:zane: :psfist::pschip: :degrey:

Just about every game was close, with either one or two combat wins either way to decide it. The only exceptions were the second :onimaru: vs :zane: and the second :onimaru: vs :degrey:.

:onimaru: :psfist::pschip: :degrey: was crazy! Down backs and throws all day long to stifle those Aces. In the next game @Attilian adjusted well and took me to town!

GGs, that was a very fun set. The last game went down to the last combat with a 50/50 choice! Super fun!

5 Likes

The Queen of Blades (flagrantangles) defeats A2 (migohunter) 4-0

My beloved Quince-spiration has been assimilated into the hive.

:quince::psfist::pschip::jaina:

GGs @migohunter

It turns out that guessing right on crucial combat wins is REALLY GOOD.

7 Likes

The irony of me guessing wrong every time and falling to Quince shenanigans. GGs!

http://drakengard-3.com/blog/stuff/uploads/2017/02/vlcsnap-00091.png

I never quite realizedā€¦ how beautiful this world is. Iā€™m coming everyoneā€¦ Iā€™m coming

5 Likes

SirHandsome wins over Fusxfaranto

:gloria: > :gwen:
:gloria: > :zane:
:gloria: < :midori:
:gloria: < :midori:
:gloria: > :midori:
:gloria: < :zane:
:gloria: > :zane:

4-3, really fucking close.

5 Likes

The Queen of Blades (flagrantangles) wins 4-0 over Wonder Red (UTRALAW)

:quince::psfist::pschip::valerie: - Considering how UTRALAW and I just fought this MU I wasnā€™t certain if heā€™d stick to his guns and keep playing Val. It made more sense for him to do so, however, since the last time we played Quince/Val I lost and switched to Persephone. This time, however, I was able to get IN. I opened with a throw and then spun a Queen which I played honestly since I didnā€™t think he would really have anything too threatening in hand. Then he goes and defeats my honest Q with a GOLD BURST of all things. After that I block successfully and weā€™re both building a nice hand. He throws me a couple of times, once into Aces and once in 6J+. I fall behind in life totals, but I get a sneaky throw in and set up J. I tax blocks and then play it dodge side first. I figure if he attacks, Iā€™ll refuel with 2 Truths, and if he blocks, Iā€™ll spin into it and get an assload of cards. It turns out that I get an assload of cards. Also silent CotG is a really good way to hurt people (thereā€™s definitely a political metaphor in there somewhere). I close this one with a throw on J-Spin.
:quince::psfist::pschip::valerie: I start out strongly and appear to be working on a perfect when, ALL OF A SUDDEN, Valerie THROWS ME. We trade some blows and I bluff against her J in neutral despite having jokers in hand. Based on what he had been revealing I had the impression that he didnā€™t have a lot of normals which probably meant that he had some combo of faces and throws. He respects it and I get off relatively unscathed. I do some bonks reaffirming my reputation as someone who will PUNCH THE ORGANS OFF YOUR THROWS. Unfortunately, my 30 damage combo off a 6 gets jokered and that was disheartening. 2 Truths helps me save my hand though. I bonk out another throw eventually and do a clean 18 damage and pick up an Ace. I spin a K and play it honestly. I decide to use a real joker. Much to my joy, he plays AA into it so I get to defuse some Aces and pick up some cards. However, he powers up for those Aces and then Iā€™m convinced that the mixup is Aces/Throw so I decide to 5 attack since Iā€™ve got another joker in hand. I duff another throw and then combo into a Jack for exactsies.
:quince::psfist::pschip::zane: Out comes Zane who I was just thinking about disdainfully since I have a bad record in the Quince/Zane MU. However, I play boldly and am rewarded. I poke out an opening throw and then spin a Jack into a near constant barrage of lies. At one point, I undercut a 10-throw from Zane with my own 9-throw. After that, I play a Jack honestly and dodge his Crash Bomb. He plays a FD and I play a single Ace into it, relatively certain itā€™s a joker and not wanting to blow CotG on it. IT WAS A BLUFF. I spin a Q and then play an unpowered CotG to beat whatever he attacks with. I undercut his 3 and then spin another Q. I decide to dodge this time around. HE THROWS ME but then has a bit of an issue and neglects to combo me. :frowning: I block out a 9-attack and some dodges until I throw him with my K since I have lethal off it, not to mention a joker and a large lifelead. I land the throw but the followup gets Jokered. Eventually I dodge into a Queen for lethal.
:quince::psfist::pschip::valerie: We return to this MU and it starts off well for me and then goes DOWNHILL. UTRALAW adjusts his range and Iā€™m left FLOUNDERING. He throws me with what appeared to be PSYCHIC prescience. He also turns the DUFFINā€™ tables around and 6-kicks me right in the 8-throw. I take some hits and eventually fall to 17 life to his 64. I get a dodge off and am able to get a Vortex underway. I keep the vortex going but eventually I lie during a J-Spin and he beats my 5-attack with his own 5-attack. It was uncomfortable. I joker the lethal AA followup. I power up for a triple A CotG. He powers up for AA. Notably, he powers up 10ā€™s and 8ā€™s which makes me think my K-Spin is going to be even more powerful. I decide to 7-throw and hope he doesnā€™t attack or or undercut me. I outspeed his 8-throw and keep him KD. I spin the K and play it honestly. I dodge his attack and hit back with CotG. Heā€™s left with 8 life. I spin the J and then play it honestly. He throws into it and dies.

GGs @UTRALAW Iā€™m certain this wonā€™t be our last set!

7 Likes

Oh im sure we will have this dance again in the future. Thanks for the games and giving such details of the games! Going to be replying these matches for sure!
i think i did better than last year too so small victory :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Fivec 4-3 Leontes

Setsuki > Troq
Setsuki < Troq
Setsuki < Troq
Setsuki > Troq
Setsuki > Troq
Setsuki < Troq
Setsuki > Troq

I think that was the order. Very tight set. Was expecting Midori but I got the horns. I got hit by all the face cards but successfully avoided 4 (?) blue bursts.

Whether it was Troq or Midori, I knew this was going to be a real fight. I feel pretty lucky to be moving on here. Ggs.

5 Likes

@Jengajam

Iā€™m really looking forward to the bracket images getting updated. I donā€™t mean to be too demanding of your time, but is that something you might do sometime soon?

He typically updates them on the Sunday, or Monday, once the weekā€™s time is up, I believe.

But theyā€™re already 2 or 3 weeks behind.

##lifegoals

4 Likes

To quote @snoc ā€œThe dream!ā€

5 Likes

mysticjuicer 4 - 1 CloudCuckooCountry

:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :grave:
:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :geiger: no spirals all game :frowning:
:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :bbb:
:troq: :pschip: :psfist: :bbb:
:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :bbb:

ggs CCC, sorry about the salt

5 Likes

Bob199 4:3 Three Headed Monkey

:codextroq: OO XX :codexzane: :codexgeiger:
:codextroq: X O :codexonimaru:
:codexargagarg: XO OX :codexonimaru:
:codexargagarg: X O :codexzane:
:codextroq: O X :codexzane:

ggs as always 3HM

3 Likes

What a set! Disappointed in my last game, but you played it very well. A hugely aggressive range where your just refused to throw and all of my duffs got smashed repeatedly.

GGs and good luck for the rest of it!

2 Likes

You play Troq. No apology can absolve you of that, you monster.

8 Likes

ā€œWhen his fight begins Asgore destroys the Mercy option from your battle menu. At first, the player may take this to mean that Asgore will not hold back in this final encounter. While thatā€™s true, there is a second reading of that action which is equally true: the king, wracked with guilt for his past actions, does not believe that he deserves Mercy from his opponents. Asgore believes he is past forgiveness.ā€

12 Likes