Summer Smash IV

Mine starts earlier, though, so hopefully anyone interested in both will be able to make a seamless transition from mine to his.

Also, the 30th is my birthday, so my present to myself will be getting to crown a tournament winner for the first time.

Also, if anyone wants to get me a Nintendo Switch or Tekken 7 for PS4, that’d be cool too.

7 Likes

CCC vs. the hug0naut

4-2

all :geiger: vs :argagarg:

ggs well played

3 Likes

Which games did thehug0naut win?

Bracket Update:

5 Likes

@thehug0naut
From memory:

:geiger: > :argagarg:
:geiger: < :argagarg:
:geiger: > :argagarg:
:geiger: < :argagarg:
:geiger: >> :argagarg:

1 Like

Checked my replays as I remembered being 3-1 down at one point.

:argagarg::pschip::psfist::geiger:
:argagarg::psfist::pschip::geiger:
:argagarg::psfist::pschip::geiger:

My understanding of this matchup changed significantly during the match, having only played it a scant number of times. A lot of interactions to think about makes it super interesting. GGs CCC and good luck for the rest of the tournament!

2 Likes

@thelo

Twice in the above set I clicked “pass” on draw phase abilities before a TD was played, then the TD came up on screen but I wasn’t offered to counter despite having 10s in hand. Not sure if it’s a lag issue where the button changes what it does behind the scenes before I click it?

Thanks for the correction.

It’s definitely an interesting MU. Arg has plenty of tools to stop or delay TD from going off, while Time Spirals completely defeat Ace block, even though Ace block still makes Geiger reluctant to use K and AA, so both characters are kinda forced off of their strongest options and have to jostle in the neutral more than they’re comfortable with. It’s still a heavily Geiger-favoured matchup if only because Geiger inevitability is way stronger than Arg inevitability (also Time Stop OP), but yeah, it’s super fun.

1 Like

You consider time spirals to defeat A block? Two cards for two damage doesn’t smell like defeat to me.

2 Likes

Utralaw vs Zejety

Special Agent Wonder Red reporting back to CENTINELS Planetary Secret Service

Justice was served and the bad guy were defeated!

:degrey::pschip::psfist::chibigwen:
:chibidegrey::psfist::pschip::gwen:
:disguisedmonkey::psfist::pschip::gwen:
:degrey::psfist::pschip::rook:
:degrey::pschip::psfist::gwen:
:chibidegrey::psfist::pschip::gwen:

Utralaw win 4-2

Matches were all very close because of the match up Degrey did big dmg and Gwen hit back just as hard. The one rook game came down to i believe 20 health for me and him at 9 with known lethal on both side.
GGs Zejety u played a mean Gwen i didn’t felt favor in the match up at all at any point in the game.

4 Likes

Fivec 4-2 MR

Setsuki < Grave
Setsuki > Grave
Setsuki < Grave (almost a perfect)
Setsuki > Grave
Setsuki > Grave
Setsuki > Grave

Ggs.

3 Likes

mysticjuicer 4 - 2 CarpeGuitarrem

:argagarg: :pschip: :psfist: :onimaru:
:argagarg: :psfist: :pschip: :onimaru:
:argagarg: :pschip: :psfist: :quince:
:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :quince:
:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :onimaru:
:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :gloria:

ggs sir, that first game really rattled me, and the Arg vs Quince game nearly put me on the tilt-a-whirl. glad I could screw my head on tight for the rest of the set and close things out.

4 Likes

CarpeGuitarrem vs. @mysticjuicer

:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :argagarg: Scariest game I’ve ever played. Hex took me down to 1 health, Arg was at 3 health, no Jokers, Final Destination. I opted to Final Authrowity over dodging into an attack or playing a face…and it worked. Take that, fish!
:onimaru: :pschip: :psfist: :argagarg: Best MU NA.
:quince: :psfist: :pschip: :argagarg: Out with thee, cursèd fish!
:quince: :pschip: :psfist: :troq: I don’t know if I’ve ever played this MU before…thought I had something going, but I think things went downhill for me starting here
:onimaru: :pschip: :psfist: :troq: This MU normally goes very well for me, but Juicer had a different range than what I was expecting, and I didn’t adjust
:gloria: :pschip: :psfist: :troq: I didn’t feel like going into the last game with Oni vs. a counterpick (oh I wonder what it would be), so I swapped to make darn sure I never faced that fish again. :stuck_out_tongue: Didn’t work out.

ggs! I felt like I really faded out towards the tail end of that and got super-predictable. (I keep telling myself that I really should’ve been able to win the Oni-Troq, get counterpicked by Arg, then close out with Gloria…) Good luck going forward!

3 Likes

Purgatory. :knockdown:

8 Likes

Great fun!
thanks for games!
I think that set 5 was my crucial one. I started with Q vs throw (10 dmg) and next turn tried a 2 (hit another throw) -->TPOS that alas hit a joker :sob:, so from a potential 90hp vs 13hp we kept a balance game.
Set 6, I have been read like an open book… I managed to not be perfected only with some block dmg… maybe with 60 more cards I could have dealt enough dmg! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Look forward for the final matches! (as spectator!)

Thanks @Jengajam for hosting this tourney!

2 Likes

That would explain the “Abandon all hope, all ye who enter” on the gate as I fell down to losers bracket

7 Likes

And you’re the final boss!

3 Likes

That’s what I’m whining about. I’ve gotta wait for seven matches to finish before my next bout. How’s a gal supposed to slake her ravenous bloodthirst like this?

6 Likes

Consulting with popular media about final bosses, I think the traditional approach is to send a series of increasingly competent henchmen at the approaching do-gooders while you sip wine in your dark tower’s must be-shadowed room. Not sure that approach is tournament legal, I’m afraid…

8 Likes

To be fair, that kind of sounds like a description of someone in the loser’s bracket fighting their way up to grand finals against the winner’s finalist :thinking:.

5 Likes