Summer Smash IV

I would like to join as the Nameless One from Planescape Torment.

7 Likes

I will be generating the bracket soon, but signups will remain open until Sunday. If we get more signups, then some of the players who appear to have byes will have a first round match. The deadline for round 1 will be a week from Sunday.

3 Likes

Screw it, Iā€™m in. Hopefully I can crash out before intense travelling begins at the start of August.

Iā€™ll rep my old main from my Awesomenauts days, Leon Chameleon.

best skin

7 Likes

Round 1 conversations have been sent out, and the initial bracket image has been added to the first post.

9 Likes

Hi sorry I will be Romanov from Red Alert 2

4 Likes

Round 1: Three Headed Monkey vs @scymrian

:zane: :psfist::pschip: :onimaru:
:zane: :psfist::pschip: :onimaru:
:zane: :pschip::psfist: :onimaru: You came back from a 3rd turn MA! Very good stuff.
:degrey: :psfist::pschip: :onimaru:
:degrey: :psfist::pschip: :zane:

Good games!

Thanks for accommodating me and I hope I didnā€™t keep you up too late. Good luck for the rest of the Tournament!

BLECK!

5 Likes

Boston Low (Southpaw Hare) vs Skull Kid (wowarlok)

:bbb: > :argagarg:
:bbb: > :gwen:
:bbb: > :geiger:
:bbb: > :geiger:

Southpaw Hare 4 - 0 wowarlok
Southpaw Hare wins!

5 Likes

:bbb::chibibbb::bbb: > all

3 Likes

Round 1: FaceOnMars vs @HyDrO
HyDrO wins 4-1

:gwen::pschip::psfist::argagarg:
:gwen::psfist::pschip::argagarg:

Iā€™m really enjoying playing Gwen. Feels very different than Vendetta.

I seemed to be checkmated a couple games due to Shadow Plague and Bubble Shield. Hydro played patiently while I did myself in. He also noticeably adjusted his range in the last game and nearly perfected me.

Fun set. GGā€™s

5 Likes

Man, facing down :argagarg: with mono-:gwen: takes the sort of guts I do not have.

6 Likes

For the sake of accuracy, just replace the word ā€œgutsā€ with obstinance, stupidity, laziness, or self indulgence and you will be closer to understanding the enigma that is FaceOnMars. The replacement word varies day to day and is subject to change. Some settling of contents may have happened during shipping and handling.

9 Likes

Well, they do say men are from Marsā€¦

1 Like

Zejety beats @Izitserious 4-0 in a full set of :bbb: vs. :midori:.

Any grappler vs. :bbb: MU is hard and izitserious deserves credit not only for not counterpicking but also making some rounds really close. The first game in particular came down to the last combat reveal.
However, my hands got better with every match and our life differences at the end got progressively better. It didnā€™t help that Midori drew few face cards. Most dragon forms were canceled by revealed normals.

GGs!

4 Likes

Round 1: @vengefulpickle vs. variable:

:chibisetsuki: < :chibiquince: (Gotta be brave enough to 7 attack a knocked down Sets occasionally!)
:setsuki: < :quince: (Iā€™m not enough of a :setsuki: expert to say this for certain, but it seemed like vengefulpickle had some awkward hands in this game that were hard to get rid of. Drawing both Jokers, weird normals without enough Linkers - that kinda stuff. The Jokers did keep Quince in a foreign bay for a while, casting his line out into the endless blue expanse, but my hand was solid - though not as solid as it should have been - when the laughing was over. I then collected the required damages to give enough to :setsuki:'s Patreon to move it up to the next goal.)
:codexonimaru: < :codexquince: (I think that I was trying to drop all the Yomises Iā€™ve ever carried in the past, but then I landed a non-spun Q attack to close this game out.)
:chibionimaru: < :chibiquince: (Two Truths is at least 11/10 of a mix-up.)

variable wins 4-0.

Thanks for the close games, vengefulpickle! Iā€™m sorry that I wasnā€™t more talkative, but I was kinda nervous throughout most of the set~ :blush: Good luck to ye in ye future matches! :smiley_cat:

6 Likes

Those were fun games. I definitely felt outplayed through most of them, though. Lots of room to improve on my end. To which I ask all you old hands: given the relative paucity of quick pick up games online, whatā€™s my best bet for practicing? Survival mode? Attempt to arrange non-tournament games?

3 Likes

Depends on what you want to practice. Valuation? Hand management? Conservative lines of play? All of that is stuff you can practice against the hard CPU. Match-up knowledge? Adaptive play? Youā€™re going to need real opponents. Definitely set up games against other players if you can get people out. Maybe set up games through the forums, or through the Discord.

7 Likes

I got good by playing tournament games.
I have a terrible history of losing almost every casuals match ever, but after a few tournaments, I could put on my game face when it was time to get serious, and really pull out some good stuff.

To which I conclude: Play lots. Against people.
Although knowing how to beat bots 100% helps a little too.

3 Likes

What the better people have said: Just play more ^^

2 Likes

Iā€™ve always wanted to pair up with someone to meet on a weekly basis. Someone at roughly the same level of play so we could discuss what is in our hands, why did we choose to play the card we played, how should choices be altered when playing against different charactersā€¦etc.

Anyone who can use the word ā€œpaucityā€ in a sentence is someone I would like to work with.

5 Likes

Yeah, that sounds like fun. Doing it weekly might depend on timing, but Iā€™d love to have that kind of discussion.

3 Likes