Rules Questions thread

I know that, as a starting deck card, having Building Inspector return to your codex seems like it would be identical to being trashed (and that might be what happens). That said, while I agree with mysticjuicer that it probably tries to do that, this is weird enough that we might want an official ruling on it.

2 Likes

If it does go to my codex, I see no reason why I could not tech it back in during a later turn. Why I would do such I thing, I have no idea, but I may want to.

That’s the thing, though: Tech 0 units aren’t normally in your codex after the game is set up, so I don’t know for sure if the game rules make teching one back in after shenanigans possible. @sharpobject, what do you think of this… whatever it is?

Seeing as the tech phase just says “Pick two cards from your codex to set aside. They’ll go face down into your discard pile just before your next turn starts.” It would make no sense to revoke you doing that with tech 0’s. Just because it was never in your codex to begin with, doesn’t stop it being put in that zone, nor being taken out. Since cards explicitly don’t have a “memory” in this game (hence all the Kidnapping/graveyard senanagens), is it any different from any other card in your codex?

You’re probably right, but it’s such an unusual scenario that I think it’s worth checking with the expert. The questions I see are:

1. If a Tech 0 unit that’s been turned into a Rambasa Twin dies, will it attempt to return to its owner’s codex?
  2. If yes, will it succeed in getting there?
  3. If yes, can it be teched on a later turn?

None of these seem trivial to answer, so I don’t see any point in arguing until @sharpobject makes his ruling. I will say that I think the biggest issue is #2; if that doesn’t work, then both #1 and #3 are meaningless, and it’s also the least certain. Can you really say with 100% certainty that the answer to #2 is yes? I can’t.

2 Likes

I don’t think there are any rules that prevent your tech 0 cards from going to your codex, or that prevent you from teching them once they get there.

3 Likes

No, and you phrased my question much better then I can. I merely pointed out my reasoning so that you/Sharpobject could point out where I was wrong and why, so that I can apply the same logic behind the decision to similar weird situations as they arrive, (they seem to arise fairly often when I play a game, apparently something about edge cases attracts me to them)

Thank you Sharpobject

1 Like

There should be an achievement for teching a tech 0 card imo

9 Likes

Something to consider if there’s ever a rules-enforced version, I guess!

1 Like

The hard version is using Calamadra’s max-band to put a Tiger Cub into play.

It’s even harder than it looks…

11 Likes

So you are suggesting that someone cast kidnapping on a Tiger Cub, then cast manufactured truth on the cub to turn it into a Rambasa Twin, and then somehow suicide that Rambasa Cub (who has lost the haste from kidnapping if I understand the ordering correctly) and then later maxband Calamandra to grab the tiger cub? Hard seems like an understatement.

Note, this requires you to play [blue]/blood/feral and your opponent to play [green]/discipline/X

EDIT: Oh, and that won’t even work, because the Rambasa Cub goes to his owner’s Codex. So it could still work, but requires your opponents perfect cooperation with a blue/blood/X and a Feral/X/X where one of the X is discipline.

2 Likes

Just wsnted to make sure. Are you allowed to target token units with abilties that return to the hand? The question came up if they were a vakud target since its says return and they were never there so returning is not possibke.

Thabks in advance.

1 Like

Yes, you can target them. They get trashed when they leave play for any reason.

4 Likes

Call this achievement “You’re grrrrrrrrrrreat!”

7 Likes

Cue a slew of [Blue]/Discipline/Growth decks.
Step 1: Polymorph:Squirrel target into a 1/1 tech 0 squirrel.
Step 2: Manufactured Truth – squirrels are actually Rambasa Twins.
Step 3: Kill it back to the codex.

3 Likes

but the only units that would be necessary for are tech 2’, and with those 3 specs, you don’t want them in your codex? now if there was only a way of getting Hyperions back in my codex… (only way I can see is Truth, Present, Growth, with the opponent playing Discipline with a Rambasa twin out on the field)

Well there are two issues I realized.
1: polymorph squirrel does not change tech levels. Booo.
2: I was thinking you do this to enemy units, but Manufactured Truth will work on one of your units as a way of REALLY getting rid of an enemy unit. Booo.

[Truth or Law]/Discipline appears to be the best way of dumping your opponents Tech 1 units back into their codex, and sadly only Manufactured Truth and Quince’s abilities change the tech level of something so no way to dump an enemy’s tech 2s back into their codex.

2 Likes

Note, manufactured truth only changes one of your units, that’s why you need kidnapping to get the tiger cub.

Not for payprplayn

If you control two copies of Reteller of Truths, how many of your Illusions can return to your hand in a single turn? We’ll assume you have two Spectral Hounds and two Spectral Flagbearers. Would only two of them return to your hand (each one gets returned twice) or would all four get returned?

I think @Sirlin once specified that his intend was that starter cards cannot go into your Codex.
Probably to avoid awkward situation where there is no free pocket for it?
I may be misremembering though.