Rules Questions thread

That is just weird. (<-- refering to Bloom scenario)
Intuitively, I would say a spell cannot be used if it wont cause any effect.

It does have an effect,. It makes you 2g poorer.

6 Likes

Generally it doesn’t ever get that far: there is no scenario, except for inattention or confusion, that a player would cast Bloom in a scenario where they have no legal targets. Ditto the scenario where someone tries to cast removal on a Golden Glaxx while it is controlled by someone with unspent gold. There are some edge cases, say, with Finesse and Harmony in play, where you want to cast a spell without a target. And there are some spells that have a chance to be cast without there being a target: spells that look at an opponent’s hand and do something if there is a unit, or a non-unit in there, but there isn’t a target there, for example.

Thunderclap is currently in that same “edge case” bucket - you would only ever cast it on non-patrollers if there are illusions in play, but it’s not intuitive that you could use it in that scenario, and it is also SUPER EFFECTIVE in that scenario. Like if you’re playing Strength vs Truth you should always be thinking about Thunderclap and so should your opponent. But it’s debatable that either side would come to that conclusion on their own, or would feel the need to look up a ruling around Thunderclap online (since it’s “obvious” what the card does and how it works). Like as Truth maybe you’d specifically choose not to patrol your illusions to play around Thunderclap, but that doesn’t actually work.

I think the most fun version of this would actually be as Necro/Blood/Truth against an opposing Abomination. Play a Bugblatter, and then summon mirrors and skeletons to trickshot your opponent’s base.

1 Like

Bird’s Nest will give you 1 trigger that will make 2 birds. If you have 2 Bird’s Nest in play then you’ll get 2 triggers for 2 birds each though!

1 Like

Hey, so, Feral Strike. I assume that the boost ability is something that happens at the same time, which then is chosen by the active player? So you can choose to put two cards from the Codex and then in to your hand, and then choose to do the second part of it, which puts the two recently choosen units from your codex into play?

1 Like

as per it is worded, is actually quite good. Let’s say ur down on cards (like only 3) u use FS to fecth the second T-rex (first already in hand) and a cheap unit, so ur hand goes from 3 to 4. then u use the second effect to play both T rex for “free” while keeping ur hand at 2

2 Likes

dumb question: if mid/max quince makes a mirror, like a hyperion, mirrorperion is still a token or considered a “real card” hence gets Battle suits pump?

Sadly nah, it always has the “Token” type attached to it.

Buuut you can TD mirrors. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

still good. i mean, attack, draw a card, then get rid of token kun for something else. Ty

So Mirror Illusions copy the Tech level of another card, do they also copy the cost? Can I Thunderclap a Mirror Illusion that is a copy of a Centaur?

They copy everything printed on the card they are copying, but keep both the token, and illusion types.

Here is the link to the relevant FAQ/clarifications for mirror illusions.

2 Likes

another dumb question. If max rook is patrolling and i have swift striking units, the one dealing the crumbling hit gets hit back or not? I mean, rook would die, but gets a crumbling rune instead.
I have not clear if he can attack back or not :confused:

It would be the same as an indestructible unit (he would take damage). They both “die”, but “dieing” leaves them on the board and able to do damage, so they hit back.

1 Like

If I’d been involved in the design/testing of Codex, I’d have made sure that all cards with the target symbol are phrased in the manner: “Target a whatever. Do something to the targeted thing(s).” That is, be completely explicity about what the card can and can’t target. I am actually amazed that it wasn’t done this way, given all the confusing interactions with illusions that we currently have.

1 Like

I feel that Rook shouldnt hit back.
It may need to be clarified from sharpobject

Rook hits back. The key thing is that Rook doesn’t actually die. If the thing you attack with swift strike doesn’t die, it gets to hit back.

2 Likes

Sirlin made a design/art choice to use inprecise, more natual english on the cards, and have the hyper-technical robot language (his words) in supplemental places (ie codexcarddb.com)

1 Like

Of which I consider the biggest flaw of Codex. It cares about details and specifics…until it doesn’t. The line where precise language ends and where colloquial language begins is inconsistent and frustrating /rant

3 Likes

It has already been clarified.