Rules Questions thread

Question: Where do “trashed” cards go? Do they return to your codex if applicable, or are they just gone forever?

Question: In 2HG, the rulebook specifies that you and your teammate can each build an add-on, but you can’t build the same one. This seems to imply that each add-on effects both of you, is that so? Specifically for the case of the Surplus: if one of us builds it, do we both get an extra draw?

Trash means removed from the game, so not in your Codex. They’re not necessarily technically gone forever, as Geiger and Prynn both have effects that trash and then return to play.

3 Likes

Oh, another question: do non-tech buildings start functioning on the turn they’re played? Hero’s Hall, for example. Can I build it and play an extra hero in the same turn? How about Flagstone Garrison? Does it make a difference if the building is an add-on or a card?

No, addons still only effect 1 player. The confusion can arise with Tower, as it seems to ignore this rule a bit. Any attack against the team is considered an attack on either player, regardless of the actual specific target, and therefore Tower will still affect all attackers, even if they are attacking the other patrol zone. In theory, this makes Tower better in 2HG than other addons, but in practice It works about the same in my experience.

2 Likes

Tech Buildings and Addons are constructed at the end of turn, but cards are constructed immediately, but have arrival fatigue. No building cards have haste or a way to get haste, so that effectively means they can’t be tapped for abilities. However, non-tapped abilities are active immediately, such as flagstone garrison.

2 Likes

@zhavier So just to be clear, if I want to use the Hero’s Hall, I have to plan ahead and build it a turn before I need it?

1 Like

That’s right. It makes getting Tech II vs Heroes’ Hall about whether it’s worth the extra cost to gain access to better units. If Heroes’ Hall worked immediately, people would go for Tech II a lot less often…

3 Likes

War Drums and Bone Collector, I want to check the interaction. Bone Collector declares the attack and creates a skeleton, so then when it deals damage War Drums makes that damage 1 higher.

Yes, that’s correct. The Bone Collector will get War Drums attack bonus after it creates the skeleton.

When a unit is trashed by Prynn’s maxband ability and then returns because Prynn has left play, the unit arrives as a fresh copy. Does returning to play in that manner trigger arrives abilities? Does it add a rune to Blooming Ancient?

It definitely triggers arrive abilities, unless it is (a) an opponents unit and (b) their arrive ability requires a decision to be made, in which case it fizzles.

Okay so if I have Jefferson DeGrey, and the opposing Prynn time jails him, if I kill her on my turn or she fades away on my opponent’s , all the tokens in the game will be destroyed because it doesn’t require a decision. But if I have a time jailed Seer, it will only add or remove a rune if Prynn leaves while I am the active player.

3 Likes

Precisely!

In my running series of stupid questions #5:

Covering a fair birth of area here –
Quince mirrors are 0/1 illusion tech 0 units with no abilities to start -> Midori midband will buff these mirror illusions (at least until they mirror something with an actual ability; if you mirror illusion hound/tiger/etc they STILL have no abilities, and would get midori buffed).

Liberty Griffon x2, Orpal Maxband and killing orpal with your last illusion.
Trading my last non-Liberty Griffon Illusion for Orpal in combat: Orpal and Illusion deal damage to eachother, orpal’s damage is -1/-1 counters. Both die simultaneously, therefore Orpal sees the death of a unit with a -1/-1 counter (Same timing type as buggblatters simultaneously getting splattered with everything by Judgement Day), and trigger’s his maxband ability. As both Orpal AND the illusion in question are no longer in play, Liberty Griffons ARE targetable, and active player must/may target them depending on availability of other targets. – Sad Truth Player.

If you had ONE other targetable illusion in play, both liberty griffons cannot be targeted and doing as much as you can target your one remaining illusion as the only legal option at the time, and kill it, allowing both Liberty Griffons to survive.

Are these correct interpretations?

2 Likes

I think so.
I’d question why you don’t kill Orpal with a liberty gryphon, but I know this isn’t a strategy question.

Liberty go face?

Looks good to me.

1 Like

Ok so I have a question about double Chaos Mirror and I tried searching but couldn’t find any information.

If I have 2 birds and my opponent has a blackhand dozer I can clearly CM dozer with a bird and attack for 7. Now, if I play a second CM, can I switch the 7/1 bird that already attacked with the 1/1 bird that hasn’t attacked? The card stresses ‘printed attack’, but it’s not clear if that applies to rewrites like CM itself.

Thanks for any help

If you Chaos Mirror a dozer and a bird, the dozer will be 1/6 and the bird will be 7/1. You can then chaos mirror two birds (a 7/1 and a 1/1) to move your 7 atk over to the other bird (so they will become a 1/1 and a 7/1).

2 Likes