Rules Questions thread

For Death and Decay, you choose a single opponent. All of that player’s units and heroes get -3/-3. All of that player’s buildings take 3 damage.

2 Likes

If I use Zane maxband to shove a unit into lookout, do I pay 1 gold?

No, but if you shove a unit out of lookout, you have to pay 1 gold.

1 Like

Question: if i have bird’s nest and blooming ancient and my opponent has abomination, at upkeep how many runes do i get? bird’s just say: Upkeep: Re-summon lost birds
So i could resummon an infinite number since is still upkeep when they die. @sharpobject @sirlin

Seems to me that the resummoning at upkeep is a one-time effect, so when the birds are killed by abom the upkeep phase had already passed. So two runes.

3 Likes

this could be, just wanted confirmation, since is not an easy combo (without opponent’s unwilling help) u should have tech lab and have teched and drawn both abomination and BA

You’ll get two runes. Bird’s Nest’s ability is a triggered ability. When you reach your upkeep, the ability goes on the queue. When the ability resolves, you move on with your turn. It isn’t an activated ability that you can choose to activate as long as it’s your upkeep. For a clear example of the distinction, look at the card Banefire Golem. It has a triggered ability that makes you sacrifice a creature and deal damage during your upkeep. It is not an activated ability that allows you to activate it multiple times during your upkeep to sac multiple creatures and deal multiple damage. Bird’s Nest is the same way.

3 Likes

Another example would be Sets maxband. It only lets you draw 2 cards, not as many as you want.

2 Likes

Sirlin liked my post so I assume there’s the official confirmation.

2 Likes

Remember you target first, then resolve. So if the unit has resist at the time of targeting, that’s all that matters.

Targeting is a bit unintuitive sometimes in codex
In the database it says that thunderclap (which lets you Sideline up to three units without flying that cost ② or less) can be used to target non patrolling units to kill them if they were illusions.
I am bot sure if you are allowed to use it to target and kill flying illusions or illusions that cost more than 2

So what is a valid target and what is not?
If an ability say do X to a patroller, can you target a non patroller then not do the said X, instead kill it because it was an illusion?

I asked the same thing to @Sirlin and his answer is no. If you want to target something, it has yo be something the card can affect.

2 Likes

I vaguely remember the ruling made on the old forum, but still don’t really understand the reasoning and necessity of it. In my opinion, it makes illusions more vulnerable than they already are and provides a second obscure narrow function to a otherwise pretty specifically defined spell. But most importantly the ruling is very counterintuitive - while most other rulings can be arrived at from logical thought, if only not being arrived at with a consensus (which nessates the ruling), I don’t see a way to deprive this interaction from the text on the card at all. Besides, one would think that Thunderclap cannot target non-patrollers for the same reason that Snapback cannot target Heroes not in play (which is a ruling that exists I believe). At the very least it complicates an already intricate game further.

1 Like

Hold on, you mean if the opponent doesnt have any hero in play you can use snapback to bring one to play ??

I meant that you can’t (a ruling on that was made not long ago), and that I thought Thunderclap should work on the same general logic, aka it cannot target cards outside of its area of influence.

2 Likes

I don’t like the ruling on thunderclap either, but it is technically correct.
If you’ll note, it doesn’t specifically say it targets patrollers. It says “sideline” and then gives conditions of “non-flying, 2 or less cost”.

Contrast with River and Bigby which specifically state that they target a “Tech 0 or 1 patroller”.

I think that thunderclap should specify patrollers and not be really good against illusions for no reason, but as it stands it’s correct.

2 Likes

Yeah, though it’s kind of weird that you could sideline something that isn’t a patroller, since sidelining isn’t something that makes sense or is applicable unless something is patrolling in the first place, imo. sharpobject clarified that:

but… makes hand waffling gesture to indicate discomfort and uncertainty

My guess is you don’t actually sideline it.
You target it, legally, and then… Do nothing. Cause you can’t. You “do as much as you can”.

1 Like

You can legally play Bloom when you control no units and your hero already has a rune, so I don’t see a problem with trying to sideline non-patrollers, if the triggering card doesn’t specify “patroller.”

My argument has always been “sideline” is a thing that you can only be done to patrollers at all, so why would non-patrollers be legal targets in the first place. But whatever. It’s settled, it’s in the card database. I’ll live.

3 Likes