Rules Questions thread

yes, u can.

Choosing Garth is also a good idea because his maxband ability requires a choice by the controlling player. As the non-active player can’t make choices, his ability fizzles and doesn’t do anything.

That’s so wrong on many level. If polymorph trigger Leave effect, it would also trigger Arrive effect once it is gone.

Transforming a unit doesnt make it to leave play. It just modify its stat and text and type. The removal of stingers is linked to the Leave keyword of the Hive. If there is no text to say that you sacrifice 5 stingers then you do not sacrifice 5 stinger.

Your example of removing it and replacing it with a squirrel token is also wrong. A transformed unit does not become a token.

4 Likes

If my opponent has a unit with 1 damage counter on it and I play a Fairy Dragon, targeting that unit and turning it into a 3/1, does this cause the unit to die from the damage it had taken previously?

Is the same true of Polymorph?

Yes for both, since the unit is treated as having 1 HP. From the rulings for Polymorph:

Transforming the unit to a 1/1 can kill it if it already had damage on it. — Sirlin

1 Like

Can Grappling Hook target a unit in a full patrol zone?

1 Like

I’m sorry if this has been asked before.

Set up A:
Attacker : a flying unit attacking a base
On patrol: sql - unit with no anti air
Elite - unit with anti air
Result: attacking flying unit deals its damage to base. Unit with anti air on elite deals its dmg to the attacking flying unit?

Set up B:
Attacker : a flying unit attacking a unit on sql
On patrol: sql - unit with no anti air
Elite - unit with anti air
Result: attacking flying unit deals its damage on sql unit. Unit with anti air on elite deals its dmg to the attacking flying unit?

Set up A:yes B: no.
If unit with AA was in SQL, and the flyier attacked the elite one, then it would have to fly over the SQL and be hit by it.

Imagine there is a patrol line, but the squad leader stands in front of that line.
Only when a flying unit flies over an anti air to attack something behind it can the anti air do damage.

Yes, Grappling Hook can target a unit in a full patrol zone. The spell will have no effect, but will kill illusions for example

2 Likes

Since Spells/Abilities generally ignore the Patrol Zone, and Flagbearers with Resist can be ignored by spending all your gold… what’s the point of the Lookout Patrol Slot? I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone use this spot except for two situations:

You want three Patrollers, and are worried about Sparkshot
You want 5 Patrollers

I’m barely a beginner player, and this is a Sirlin game; what nuance am I missing? Or is it like 10% of the game which doesn’t make sense unless you’re an expert?

Is all about making a bad trade for your opponent. For example, an illusion can be put in looky to avoid a destruction for free. If u are against a white starter, and u have a maxed hero, u put him in patrol in lookout so to snapb it the opponent is forced to spend 4 gold instead of 3 (5 if said hero is maxvandy). this way your opponent has less gold to invest in building his board. Lookout is not useless, is all part of the strategy in the game.

2 Likes

Spells and abilities ignore the patrol zone in the sense that their ability to reach their targets isn’t impeded by the presence of any units in the zone. There are many, many spells and abilities that target units/heroes, though, and patrolling them in the slot is akin to giving them resist 1, which can be useful even when you don’t need to patrol. Your opponent may be less inclined to play that spell when they have to spend that extra gold, and even if they would’ve played it regardless, you’ve just starved them for resources. Especially strictly better than the resource slots in the face of spells that don’t kill the unit such as bouncing or disabling effects.

A few examples:
First turn 1-drop in lookout against Black to deter Deteriorate
Big unit against Purple to deter Undo
High-level hero to deter Snapback
Illusion to deter, well, being killed
Any unit when direct-damage spells/abilities are in play

1 Like

Tricycloid might want to kill something, Or jaina spells and abilities might want to kill something, and rather than leave that something behind the patrol zone, you put it in lookout to make it more expensive.

Edit: Ignore what I said, I totally got it wrong

I don’t think that’s right. If you spend all your gold, and the flagbearer has Resist, then you are not able to target the flagbearer and so may ignore it.

3 Likes

That’s not quite right.

If you cannot target a flagbearer for some reason, then you don’t have to and you can ignore it. For example, if a flagbearer has resist 1 (which requires you to pay 1 gold to target it) and you have 0 gold, you don’t have to target it. Or in other words, if you have a spell that costs 4 and that targets, and you have exactly 4 gold, you CAN ignore a flagbearer with resist 1 because it’s impossible for you to pay the resist cost in this case, and thus impossible to target the flagbearer. — Sirlin

1 Like

The interaction with a Flagbearer in Lookout slot is that if one spends all their gold sans the spell cost then casts a targeting spell/uses a targeting ability with no gold remaining, they aren’t forced to target the flagbearer (nullifying the flagbearer’s ability) but cannot target the flagbearer itself that way due to the Lookout slot requiring an extra gold.

1 Like

Note that the flagbearer / resist interaction could have gone either way, so Sirlin’s decision is an official rule, rather than a re-wording of other rules (flying, for example, is well defined but complicated, and has also had multiple questions asked)

1 Like

If I kidnap a unit from Black when they have Graveyard in play, does it go to their Graveyard or to their discard pile when it dies?