Rules Questions thread

If I had a hive and five stingers, then polymorph the hive, kill it, then replay it… How many stingers do I have?

(limit: 5 per Hive.)
Hence if no stinger was killed, the new hive sees the 5 stingers and produces none.

1 Like

actually i missed the “leaves: sacrifice 5 stingers”. So the answer is simply 5 new stingers :open_mouth:

But polymorph removes all abilities.

Also, if I have five stingers in play and play my other hive, then what?

1 Like

Since it’s [Limit: 5 per Hive], then it depends on whether a Hive is already in play. If you play a Hive when there isn’t one in play, then it gives you up to 5 Stingers, making sure not to give you more than 5 total. If there is already another Hive in play, then it gives you 5 new Stingers, and while that shouldn’t ever result in more than 10, that would be the limit.

2 Likes

If you have 5 stingers in play but no Hive, and you play a Hive (the same one or not; it doesn’t matter), you don’t get any new stingers.

sigh, mate, i do not like playing lawyer but:
u polyomrph-> no hive on the field-> all stingers die. End of the line.
U play a new hive/hive returns an hive/whatever->u get 5 new stingers (with arrival sickness.) End of the line.
U have 5 stingers and no hive-> u get DQ for cheating-> opponent gets to do the victory dance. End of the line.

1 Like

If you have two Hives and more than 5 Stingers and you lose a Hive, the active player chooses which 5 Stingers you sacrifice. — Sirlin

Edit: plz guys, let’s not make this thread in a Law&Order spin-off. Card text must be taken with common sense and logic. If the card says: “leaves X” instead of arguing if that “leaves” includes if a windstroke knocks the card off the table, a reasonable person knows that it simply means that “when there is no more a hive on the field u cannot have any stinger”.

I’m not fully convinced. I don’t think polymorph triggers arrives and dies triggers. That doesn’t strike me as correct.

1 Like

First of all, I’m pretty sure what I said isn’t wrong because I said nothing about whether killing the Hive also kills the Stingers. Maybe what I said would never apply in a real game, but it’s not technically wrong, as that appears to be how things would happen if there was a random Stinger floating around.

Second, “Leaves: Sacrifice five Stingers” is an ability on Hive, so Polymorph: Squirrel should remove that ability, thus allowing the Stingers to live. The Stingers themselves don’t have an ability that says they die if a Hive does (and even if they did, all that died was a Squirrel).

Transforming into a Squirrel does not count as a new unit entering play. No “arrive” happens here. If the unit had any baggage, such as +1/+1 runes, an ongoing spell such as a Soul Stone or Spirit of the Panda, or damage on it, all of that will still be on it when it Transforms. Though it loses all printed abilities it has and loses all one-time effects that other things might have granted it before the transform, it still benefits from one-time effects that happen to it after the transform and it still benefits from +1/+1 runes that are on it, and attachments such as Spirit of the Panda. — Sirlin (Emphasis mine)

From what?

Edit: My impression of the way Limit: X works is that it prevents stingers from being created in excess of the limit, but never does anything to kill stingers.

2 Likes

imo it comes down to this:

[quote] If something would copy the Squirrel such as Manufactured Truth, then
the copy is a 1/1 Squirrel with no abilities. Usually, copying something
copies the printed version of the card and does not copy any modifiers,
but because Polymorph Squirrel “transforms” the unit, the transformed
version is treated as the new thing that gets copied. If the transformed
Squirrel has a +1/+1 rune and Spirit of the Panda attached, copying it
will still give you only 1/1 Squirrel with no abilities. — Sirlin [/quote]

I mean that is like switching the polymorphed with a squirrel token. Hence u remove the hive from game, and the “leaves” effect takes place. @sharpobject this is also a reply to your question.
Just my 2 cents, mate.

I see what you mean, but it doesn’t really leave play. It just stops being a Hive and starts being a Squirrel until end of turn. The ruling that I quoted says that “Transforming into a Squirrel does not count as a new unit entering play.” Thus, if it doesn’t count as a Squirrel entering play, it also shouldn’t count as a Hive leaving play. It’s a little ambiguous, but as the cards are written (and until a ruling directly says otherwise), I’m pretty sure this is how it works.

2 Likes

Look, any time a Hive arrives, it makes 5 stingers, up to a limit of 5/hive (maybe you’re duplicating them with Quince).

Polymorph Squirrel changes cards in-place, so if you have, say, a Mirror Hive and a real Hive and the real Hive becomes a Squirrel, then you play a new Hive, it sees that you have 2 Hives, and allows up to 10 Stingers in play.

Transforming into something else is not “Leaves” since the card is still in play.

3 Likes

@EricF too.
Yet, imo, is like u never had a hive but a squirrel. We can consider this like an extension of VAndy’s MAxband. If she dooms 2 units, and then during opp turn he free speeches, the units retain the +2/die at next upkeep. As i see this, is like Vandy and hive “give” (i use the “give ability” term cuz i lack a better one, plz try to understand the meaning of my words rather than how they are expressed) the following ability: “do X until Y”. In vandy’s case X is +2, Y is the destroy next turn, while for hive X=summon stingers Y= if there is no hive on the field sac stingers.

That’s just wrong. Vandy has one ability, which includes a delayed effect. Hive has two abilities.

Again, plz, i know that my reasoning may be worded wrong but try to understand the meaning of my words :’(
I am not trying to change ur mind, just explaining my idea of the effect.
Ofc the last word is Sirlin’s or Sharpo’s.

That’s an interesting comparison, but there’s one word in Vandy’s maxband that makes it different from Hive: Vandy actually says to “Give” +2/+2 and then take it away and kill them at end of turn. In that case, it does exactly what you’re saying, where even if Vandy leaves the board they’ll still die, because she “gives” them that ability. On the other hand, Hive simply says Leaves: Sacrifice five Stingers. It doesn’t “give” an ability to the Stingers; rather, when it leaves (and Polymorph doesn’t count as “leaving”), the Hive activates its own ability to kill 5 Stingers. This is not the same as an ability that says something like “If no Hives are on the board, Sacrifice all Stingers.”

2 Likes

People understand what you’re saying, they’re just disagreeing that’s how it should work. Your explanation is clear, don’t worry that you’re being misunderstood.

5 Likes

My opponent has Vandy level 1 and Garth level 6 in play.
I sacrifiy a hero into them, so Vandy or Garth get two levels.

Because of the general rule “The active player decides”, can I decide to level Garth, effectively wasting one levelup since Garth is already maxed at 7?